Finally got the PodXT metal upgrade - my first impressions...

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Mattayus, Aug 31, 2008.

1. Mattayus

Mattayus Sir Groove-A-Lot Contributor

... well i'm a little underwhelmed if i'm honest.

I'm constantly changing my tone, as we all are, and i'm constantly going back and re-recording old material when my tone gets 'better' etc.

today i was A/Bing some of my songs against the bands I love and my tone just wasn't cutting it anymore, i felt deflated and a bit saddened by it! so i just thought fuck it and bought the metal shop. finally.

I thought "right here goes, no more 'i want that tone!' and i'll finally get what i've been searching for!"

i scrolled through the new amp models, having a quick chuggachugga on each, and i thought.... what's the big deal? they weren't that much different from the patch i'd created with the stock stuff!

the only vast difference is what line6 have done to the pre-sets. for example - the L6 big bottom, which we all love and i heard a lot about, can be quite easily created with a stock amp model, say the spinal puppet, but with about 8db of 100hz put on in the EQ! a few mic/cab changes here and there and bob's your uncle. hardly any difference. so all the new amp models are are stock models that have had the tweaking done for you, in essence.

i was expecting more clarity, more gain types, the gain acting differently, more powerful sounding amps, but it just seemed like i'd heard them all before.

anyway, just my :2c:

at the moment i'm deciding between the diamondplate, the p-ball, and the big bottom

2. Elysian

Elysian Banned

i couldn't live without the metal pack. try the uberschall patch in the patch library on here, its to die for.

3. Mattayus

yeah man, it's cool but not really what i'm looking for

right now i'm stuck between the big bottom and the criminal. the criminal has amazing tone and djent but lacks the 'hugeness' of the big bottom

4. Mattayus

Ok i take back this entire thread. I just re-recorded the rhythm guitars on No More Room in Hell, and my GOD they sound fucking HUGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

will upload shortly

5. Josh Lawson

Josh Lawson Banned

As long as a processor delivers one really great distortion, it all seems worth it for awhile. One good clean, one good crunching rhythm, and a lead tone is all I really want or need.

6. Mattayus

well i'm keepin my old lead tone i think, nothing has stricken me enough to replace it at the moment, but that's just for now, i've only played with rhythm sounds so far

anyway, here's a comparison -

old

<div style="width:473px; border:solid #999999 1px; background-image:url('http://www.soundclick.com/images/elogos/SC_ExtBG.png')">
    <a href='http://www.soundclick.com/mattayus'>
    <div style="background-color:width:460px; height:45px; cursor:pointer; background-image:url('http://www.soundclick.com/images/elogos/SC_460.png');"></div></a>
    <div id="lower"><object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowScriptAccess="never" allowNetworking="internal" height="60" width="473" data="http://www.soundclick.com/player/V2/mp3player.swf">
    <param name="allowScriptAccess" value="never" />
    <param name="allowNetworking" value="internal" />
    <param name="movie" value="http://www.soundclick.com/player/V2/mp3player.swf" />
    <param name="loop" value="false" />
    <param name="menu" value="false" />
    <param name="quality" value="high" />
    <param name="wmode" value="transparent" />
    <param name="flashvars" value="playType=single&songid=6768089&scid=6768089&q=hi&ext=1&autoplay=0" />
    <param name="scale" value="noscale" />
    <param name="salign" value="b" />
    <param name="bgcolor" value="#000000" />
    </object></div></div>

New

<div style="width:473px; border:solid #999999 1px; background-image:url('http://www.soundclick.com/images/elogos/SC_ExtBG.png')">
    <a href='http://www.soundclick.com/mattayus'>
    <div style="background-color:width:460px; height:45px; cursor:pointer; background-image:url('http://www.soundclick.com/images/elogos/SC_460.png');"></div></a>
    <div id="lower"><object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowScriptAccess="never" allowNetworking="internal" height="60" width="473" data="http://www.soundclick.com/player/V2/mp3player.swf">
    <param name="allowScriptAccess" value="never" />
    <param name="allowNetworking" value="internal" />
    <param name="movie" value="http://www.soundclick.com/player/V2/mp3player.swf" />
    <param name="loop" value="false" />
    <param name="menu" value="false" />
    <param name="quality" value="high" />
    <param name="wmode" value="transparent" />
    <param name="flashvars" value="playType=single&songid=6853206&scid=6853206&q=hi&ext=1&autoplay=0" />
    <param name="scale" value="noscale" />
    <param name="salign" value="b" />
    <param name="bgcolor" value="#000000" />
    </object></div></div>

s_the_fallen and The Dark Wolf like this.
  7. The Dark Wolf

The Dark Wolf Contributor

Dude, that song is seriously fucking terrific.

You need a singer ASAP and get that shit out. It's like an awesome mix of Pantera, Dream Theater, Meshuggah... shit, I don't know. More awesome stuff, too.

Me like. :agreed:

FTR,. I actually slightly prefer the first tone. A little warmer. But either works, and I don't get hung up on tone too much. Well, I try not to. :lol: I am a guitar player, after all. But the song? Just great. :yesway:

8. ohio_eric

ohio_eric Contributor

:agreed:

Awesome song. Don't get too hung up on little things. The first tone is abit better though.

9. Alpo

Alpo ... Contributor

I felt the same way at first, but now I couldn't live without the Big Bottom model. :yesway: I still haven't really played with the other models much, though.

10. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

i love the big bottom model tbh. it sounds rather scooped, and it really doesn't cut through when i play with my friend that uses a jsx, but when i'm alone, or when i'm recording, i think it sounds awesome.

the criminal (5150 model) is also pretty cool.

11. Josh Lawson

Josh Lawson Banned

The bass of the first tone sounds better, but the upper midrange of the second sounds better in the second. Overall the second tone is a little to scooped and hollow sounding. Maybe mixing the two would be the ticket. Amazing tone and playing on both samples, however.

12. Mattayus

thanks guys! i cant even believe some of you prefer the first one :lol: i understand where you're coming from in terms of warmth and that it's not as scooped, but where a mix is concerned it's way too dry and honky in comparison. The new one really fills the stereo spectrum and booms so hard it's untrue! i love it. Not to mention the gain behaves more 'realistically' imo.

FWIW, that was a rough mix to test the tone. I haven't played around with the EQ settings post-production yet, that's where i do most of the guitar molding. I'll let you know when it's fully mixed :yesway:

13. MerlinTKD

MerlinTKD EIght.Fold.Path / Hinge Theory Contributor

I like it! I see what you mean... the old tone is thicker, more present in a way, but the new tone is LOADS clearer and tighter. Maybe too clear? It does sound like it needs to be more to the fore, you know?

I think with the Painkiller (at least, this is what I'm anticipating :lol:), it's so tight already that it would be easy to overdo it and lose some of that breadth.

Just a thought... I love the stuff!

14. Elysian

Elysian Banned

i think the first tone sounds better... but i think thats because it doesn't have vocals. the 2nd tone lends itself to vocals much better than the first tone, a singer would sit perfectly in the mix of the 2nd one.

15. Mattayus

ok made some changes.

What i tend to do is - on the two outer guitars i'll add some 'body' by means of EQ to the 250 and 650 hz range. sorta boosts the punch on the lower mids and brings up the tone of the upper mids. The patch i was using is quite light on body as it's pretty much all low end boom. I mean just listen to the song Obzen by Meshuggah. In essence it's completely toneless, just a barrage of low end chunk!

so by doing that i think it's improved it. it's not a massive amount at all really, i wanted to be careful not to make it 'honk'. I still prefer it to the old one though, no matter what you say :lol:

Thanks man that means a lot. I really love this song to death and I can't wait to get a vocalist to lay something down on it!

16. Ruins

Ruins SS.org Regular

i have listened to both of them and i liked the old tone better :ugh:
    it just sounds with more balls some how

17. Mattayus

i think that's because the first one is 'pokey', which on its own sounds like a good thing because the pokiness comes across as body and warmth.

fire up some nevermore, or anything with really well engineered guitars, then go back and listen to them both. then you'll hear the benefits of the second one, and the 'pokiness' of the first one becomes really apparent (which is what made me change it in the first place!)

18. chimp_spanner

chimp_spanner I am a meat popsicle

Hey dude - this is wicked, this must've slipped through the net first time around :] I'm only listening on small speakers right now (other computer isn't on yet) but I can hear the change in the upper register definitely. More a comment on the song than anything though, nice work. Agreed on the Panteruggah(tm) vibe too!

I do use the Big Bottom almost exclusively for rhythm these days, and the P-Ball for leads. What I find with the Big Bottom is that it needs a bass cut pre-head to give it djent and prevent it from being too wooly. A lot of it also has to do with cab and mic choice too. I think at the moment I'm using the t75 model with off axis placement. Kinda naturally puts some of the mids and tonality back in there.

That said...that works well for my tone. Might not work so well in all settings.

19. Mattayus

yeah man thanks! finally, someone who agrees! :lol:

i use the dynamic mic, purely because of how it interacts with the distortion. seems to make it 'fizz' a bit more, i use the line6 4x12 cab too for the same reason. everything else sounds really muffled i think. on the EQ though i do reduce the 80hz section and bring up some of the upper mids a bit to mold it so it's not so woolly, as you said

this all said and done, this isn't final! i only got the pack yesterday, i'm still playing around with it

20. Mattayus

I'm really struggling to find a combination that's not hollow and scratchy! i dont like the tone i put up here earlier anymore, it's too scooped and bassy, and i've tried all manor of mic/cab combos.

the latest i've tried was the treadplate with the 57 on axis. sounded amazing, but when i think i've got something i'll multitrack it and it'll sound horrible!

suggestions?