Ferrule Plates

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by NovaLion, Feb 9, 2015.

1. NovaLion

NovaLion Novum Ingenium

I've seen a couple different models use these (most recently the Aristides) and I'm wondering if anyone has ever made/had them made for one of their builds? I'm trying to source a miller that works with stainless while I try to design around a given bridge, thought I'd ask here. Example:

[​IMG]

2. Prophetable

Prophetable Prophet For Profit

I made one with a piece of brass that I ordered off of the internet at the size I wanted. A drill press did the rest.

3. DistinguishedPapyrus

DistinguishedPapyrus SS.org Regular

That one in the pic looks really well done... nice. But I have also made a version of this using aluminum stock. Just a drill press, good set of bits and keep the cutting tips lubricated while cutting. Worked great.

4. canuck brian

canuck brian Bowes Guitars Contributor

I think all the Decibel guitars have them. It's neat.

5. Renkenstein

Renkenstein SS.org Regular

That one is exceptionally clean. I've made a couple out of flat steel stock with good results. I just recessed the plate in the body so the ball ends don't clear the surface. For my next builds, I'm going to improve by buying a chunk of brass so I can countersink and hide the ball ends entirely.

Once I upgrade my drill press, I'll be able to use individual ferrules as well. The plate was more of a "how can I get around this without making derpy lookin ferrule holes", but I ended up liking it more than I thought I would.

6. DistinguishedPapyrus

DistinguishedPapyrus SS.org Regular

Yea man I think I'm gonna use a ferrule block in my next build as well, instead of individual ferrules. Another plus side to it is that it allows you to be sure all your strings are electrically grounded if you're using individual bridges such as in a FF guitar.

7. sehnomatic

sehnomatic SS.org Regular

I love doing ferrule plates. If I screw up a ferrule plate, it's only $0.30 - $3 depending on thickness, in aluminum or brass so I can just throw it away, and make a new one without any remorse. If I screw up doing individual string holes, I just route them away for a plate. At that point, I can't screw it up any further!

8. Renkenstein

Renkenstein SS.org Regular

Another thing I discovered is you don't have to rout the recess. Use the string thru holes as a pilot and drill with your favorite diameter forstner bit. Clean up the edges with a chisel and you've got a perfectly sized and shaped recess to shape your ferrule plate to match. I routed my first one and drilled/chiseled the 2nd. The latter of the 2 came out way better.