Fender is About to Start Making Some Nice Cuts

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by feraledge, Nov 1, 2019.

1. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

milenias are actually "old" people by now(mayority of the pppl in this forum), the young people media loves to blame are actualy the next generation

but yeah all those labels are bullshit, its just an excuse to say "back in my day...." kind of stuff

here is what WE want it to be....

big difference ;)

2. r3tr0sp3ct1v3

r3tr0sp3ct1v3 SS.org Regular

I kind of want one. I have been wanting a classier shred strat. Charvels 2 pts are cool but I need those pickguards

Jeesan and AkiraSpectrum like this.
  3. xzacx

xzacx SS.org Regular

Nothing quite says “classy” like a three-ply piece of plastic covering 2/3rds of it.

GenghisCoyne, A-Branger and c7spheres like this.
  4. asopala

asopala SS.org Regular

Ehh, it's good for modding. Screw it up, get a new one, rather than a new guitar. :2c:

Roadsterjosh and Adieu like this.
  5. jarledge

jarledge SS.org Regular

that is cute, fender decided to join the rest of the 21st century...
    It is difficult to say if these will actually find a market. Everyone has been making better versions of the strat for years, and so for fender to do it now, they'd have to try and claw back players who have been playing other brands. I doubt that is going to happen because of how much fender is going to charge for them. I applaud fender for actually trying something new. I remember when fender came back out with sales reps, and I point blank asked him what was new besides some "new" (not new they were re-issue) colors. He didn't answer the question and tried to move on and talk about the "new" (not new) mexican strats they are charging $800 for.

I'd take a Warmoth any day of the week over ANY fender out there current or past. The warmoth would also be significantly cheaper and probably much better quality fit and finish wise.

c7spheres likes this.
  6. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

The condescension of folks fake patting Fender on the back for "modernizing" while playing guitars based on 70's designs is palpable.

Better yet, acting like Fender wasn't on the forefront of guitar technology like floating bridges, headless instruments, compound fretboards, MIDI integration, extended scale, and alternative materials the first time they were in vogue.

1975:
    [​IMG]
    1989:
    [​IMG]

Let's also acknowledge the reason Fender hasn't been making "modern" shred guitars is they've owned Jackson for almost two decades.

Chill guys. :rofl:

Heroooh, Boofchuck, cwhitey2 and 11 others like this.
  7. jarledge

jarledge SS.org Regular

well the RG came out in 87 and the talon came out after that. They were made in the same factory in Japan. History is history, it won't save you now or in the future. Look at Gibson.

The fact of the matter is you can't keep putting out the same thing year, after year after year. It creates a large market for used guitars and when you don't change your product the competition seizes on it and changes it for you.
    For the longest time Fender had a real ego problem in that they thought they were indispensable. They tried to push larger orders on smaller dealers thinking that dealers would have to carry fender. A lot of the smaller dealers didn't stick around. If it wasn't for guitar center/musicians friend fender would be bankrupt. They tried to go public and no one wanted to invest. That should tell you something about how they do business.

https://msretailer.com/fired-fender/

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...ric-guitars-amid-sales-recovery-idUSKBN1JF1RL

https://fortune.com/2012/07/20/why-fender-pulled-its-ipo/

They are trying their best to no be Gibson but this is very reminiscent of Gibson's robot tuners, and adjustable brass nut. Too little too late. It takes money to make all these changes, and I am fairly certain Fender is still pretty debt heavy. Go to any guitar center and ask how long those strats and teles have hung on the walls.

8. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Gibson Corporation filed for bankruptcy because they tried to become a lifestyle brand and bought into too many consumer electronics interests, not because Gibson Guitars wasn't profitable and sustainable. So bad example.

Using dying brick and mortar stores to reflect what sells in 2019 doesn't make much sense either.

Fender the brand and Fender the company are two different things. The company can lose money due to failed acquisitions and mismanagement of capital while individual brands flourish.

The point stands, Fender didn't need to "keep up", because they had Jackson and Charvel to push the more contemporary specs, which they did.

EDIT: If you read the articles you posted it actually shows significant improvement for Fender at least from 2008 to 2018. While overall revenue is still down (which isn't surprising given the trajectory of the guitar industry as a whole) they have less than half the debt they once held ($100 million down from over $250 million) and are cash-positive with $500m in revenue.

couverdure, sirbuh and AkiraSpectrum like this.
  9. jarledge

jarledge SS.org Regular

I did read that they were down in debt, but they are also privately held company so they have no responsibility to report sales and debt accurately.

The point is these changes will incur costs. Depending on how fender prices their stuff and what is actually being offered will determine if the changes were worth the costs. Again, I am inclined to say they are going to be priced too high to reach a new audience and they are too different to keep the entire audience they have now.

We'll see if EVH, charvel and jackson can keep them afloat.

10. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire bring out your dead

warmoth has done a contoured heel option for ages. Granted it aint no AANJ, but it was always better than the standard blocky heel of most fenders.

Musiscience likes this.
  11. mlp187

mlp187 Burrito Master Contributor

I've been waiting years for this. Super pumped for Tuesday. Time to start stuffing money in my piss-away fund!!!

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  12. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

I know :) but its still the normal square heel but on a down angle. Not rounded nicely like this new fender

13. gnoll

gnoll SS.org Regular

They should just ditch the heel altogether and go neck-through.

Surveyor 777 and Mathemagician like this.
  14. adrianb

adrianb SS.org Regular

+1. For me a Strat isn't a Strat without a pickguard. And it's not just for ease of modding, it's the look.

+666!!!!! Though i really have no issues with the standard heel, and i play up there all the time. What i really want in a modern Fender Strat would be:

1. Neck-through
    2. Big headstock
    3. 22 stainless frets standard (leave 21 fret options behind)
    4. Gotoh 2-point bridge
    5. Graphtech nut standard
    6. Spoke wheel truss rod adjustment at the heel (like what the Elite has)
    7. And here's an idea: how about recessed bridge spring cover plate and pickguard?!

Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
  15. Kaura

Kaura biding his time

If they wanted to do something modern. They should've just re-release the Showmaster since (iirc) they had maple tops, neck-throughs and a humbucker at least in the bridge. Hell, while they would've been at it. They could have made some 7-strings as well.

The one guitar posted on last page doesn't really scream modern for me.

Surveyor 777 likes this.
  16. _MonSTeR_

_MonSTeR_ SS.org Regular

I would guess that both the people who want a fully modernised Fender are probably posting in this thread. I can see why Fender want to do something to address the block heel, but also wonder if their market demographic will actually care and whether their target demographic is prepared to switch?

Mathemagician and jarledge like this.
  17. adrianb

adrianb SS.org Regular

The Showmaster didn't have a pickguard, so to me it really didn't look like a Strat. The horns were also too slim.

18. Richter

Richter SS.org Regular

Wow one thing at a time bro

19. Kaura

Kaura biding his time

Exactly. ;)

20. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

Blasphemy!

Adieu and _MonSTeR_ like this.