Feeling the urge for another Prestige, tell me about the Edge Zero

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by steinmetzify, Dec 23, 2018.

1. steinmetzify

steinmetzify CHUG & SLUDGE

Pros cons etc....looking at a 2010, it’s got a Zero...I know some people prefer certain bridges on Ibbys.

What up?

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Pros:
    -Decent quality
    -ZPS helps with stability and setup
    -Locking studs from factory
    -Built-in intonation tool
    -Collar style arm holder

Cons:
    -Quality below Gotoh made units, softer metal
    -More complex = more points of failure

Misc:
    -ZPS can make the trem feel too stiff
    -Incompatible with most aftermarket bridge locking devices like Tremol-No
    -Unit is discontinued/phased out of most markets, which can make finding parts difficult

Personally, I'm not really into them, but most folks seem to really like the bridge.

3. Sogradde

Sogradde SS.org Regular

If you're more into fixed bridges and only use trems for the occasional wankery, you're gonna like it. I don't even remember the last time I had to re-tune my Z equipped guitar. If you take out the stop bar, it behaves like most other trems. If you want to leave it in, you may want to look into modding it a little because there appears to be a little construction flaw that stops it from returning all the way to "zero" again.

Ordacleaphobia and steinmetzify like this.
  4. steinmetzify

steinmetzify CHUG & SLUDGE

Thanks guys.

Don’t use trems, I’d prob leave the bar out and never use it, so hearing that helps.

Bugs me there aren’t any more parts tho...

Appreciate the input!

5. Rawkmann

Rawkmann SS.org Regular

They still make them for the Japanese market correct? Personally I love the Edge Zeros. Super simple to use and set up with that built in tension thumbwheel instead of the two screws going straight into the wood.

6. Ordacleaphobia

Ordacleaphobia Shameless Contrarian

Yeah this is what I was going to say. I hardly ever use my trem, but I really enjoy the feel of a trem as a bridge, and the Edge Zero has been perfect for me. The only time I ever need to deal with trem quirks is when I set it up / change tuning. Not sure if it'd take the abuse as well as a true-blue Edge or LoPro if you're a crazy trem guy, but for someone like me, it will serve you well.

Rich was able to get me some replacement parts when I bought a hammered one that was in rough shape a year or two back, FWIW.

steinmetzify likes this.
  7. Sogradde

Sogradde SS.org Regular

Same here. The gibraltar on my S6521 is by no means bad but trems are just so much more comfortable.

8. Lukhas

Lukhas SS.org Regular

You could find good infos on most Ibanez trems on a certain website, but the pages returns 404. Fortunately thanks to the Way Back Machine...
    https://web.archive.org/web/20160329040331/http://lawl.net/gtr
    You might be thinking about the the ZR, with ball bearing pivot; not the same trem as the Edge Zero. It's indeed essentially discontinued in the West; which is why the JIVA equips an Edge Zero II (much to Nita Strauss' chagrin), the cheaper version (as with most Ibanez trems with Roman numerals) that equips most Premium Ibbys.

However, the Edge Zero is still produced and equips anything Japanese that hasn't a Lo-Pro Edge or an original Edge. Okay that's not a lot, but the some of the current J.Customs still have one!

Last edited: Dec 25, 2018
  9. MaxOfMetal

The Prestige-level Edge Zero unit (not the II, which is exempt since the legal issue is focused on the ZPS) will not be used on any new, full production guitars outside of the home market (Japan).

Existing models in the SEA, Oceania, Europe Asia will continue, but again, nothing new. Hence models like the RG2550Z sticking around, which is a five year old model.

The North American market will not be getting any.

It will remain an option for limited edition and special order models outside the United States.

I've worked on a lot of older Ibanez guitars with discontinued and phased out hardware, and it can be an absolute pain to get replacement parts once initial inventories are exhausted. The Lo-Pro and Original Edge were spared much of that due to popularity with artists and Ibanez planning on bringing them back once the patents expired, but the issue with the ZPS doesn't have the same expiration date.

10. Kaura

Kaura Le Petit Caporal

I thought the Zero got discontinued so for two years I didn't even bother to look for a replacement part for it but this summer I went to the local Ibanez dealer and asked if they would be able to get replacement parts for it and they actually still had some models with the bridge + the replacement parts I needed. So yeah, at least in Europe they're still in use. Don't know for how long if they don't put them on new models anymore.

About the bridge itself. I have it on two guitars. Don't really have much complaints about it since I've blocked the tremolo on both guitars. Stays in tune pretty well. And I only needed the replacement parts because I lost the original parts, not that they broke or something.

steinmetzify likes this.
  11. Lukhas

Lukhas SS.org Regular

I'd be curious to know what the legal issue is with you guys in the USA, considering I live in Europe.

12. MaxOfMetal

There is a conflicting patent involving the ZPS which has been filed in the United States. My understanding is that it is still in litigation, but for the time being Ibanez can't sell Edge Zero equipped guitars within the United States, and since North America is the biggest sales region, it's driving the reduction in use of the unit globally.

13. Leviathus

Leviathus Psychotic Monster

Didn't they come out with 3 edge zero equipped J. customs for the US this year?

14. MaxOfMetal

They're old 2013 models, they're allowing some for import. As long as they keep the number below a threshold they don't get dinged. They sell maybe a dozen or so JCs in the US a year.

They were built for the home market originally. The JCRG8570MWNT was the only JC built from the ground up as a US model, hence the Lo-Pro.

Leviathus likes this.