Feeling ripped off

You

þ
Reaction score
I paid 3 dollars for the Utimate Guitar app, only to encounter additional paywalls that demand that I pay additional money for other features, such as tab pro, that are essential for the functionality of the application, for 2 dollars more than what I had paid for initially. Not to mention other features as well, such as a metronome.

I essentially paid 3 dollars for an app whose features included could simply be looked upon the internet.

(My apologies if I appear to be bickering over minor issues, but still)

Axayacatl

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I paid 3 dollars for the Utimate Guitar app, only to encounter additional paywalls that demand that I pay additional money for other features, such as tab pro, that are essential for the functionality of the application, for 2 dollars more than what I had paid for initially. Not to mention other features as well, such as a metronome.

I essentially paid 3 dollars for an app whose features included could simply be looked upon the internet.

(My apologies if I appear to be bickering over minor issues, but still)

Hi. Ben here from Ultimate Guitar app support. We're delighted you're enjoying the convenience of having your most commonly searched guitar-related queries all in one app, right on your iPhone or Android device!

I'm sorry to hear that you are having problems with the in-app payment system and we would be happy to look into that for you. Just open a support ticket from within the app and a customer service representative will assist you in 2-3 business days. As a gesture of gratitude from us, please use the code DISC20 to knock a whopping $3 dollars off the cost of your support ticket.

Thanks for supporting Ultimate Guitar app and stay tuned for exciting new additions such as Major scale, Minor scale (in any key!) and waterproof tabs (iPhone 7 only).

Apps are the biggest moneysuck. I'm guilty of going in-app crazy on day one and never using that app ever again after a few uses. We should be putting our phones away when we play guitar (easier said than done).

will_shred

Wannabe audio engineer
Reaction score
UG is a pretty shady company in general, just get the songsterr app instead.

ShiftKey

SS.org irregular
Reaction score
^agreed, i got the app a few months back and saw that it was useless unless you paid for every little feature- so i got a refund within the 15 min window, picked up songsterr on sale for like 10p and havent looked back-

You

þ
Reaction score
I am looking upon songsterr and it already appears to be a superior application

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
I almost bought one from UG (to get access to tabs), but I did a little research, and the company is WAY too shady for me to buy anything from.

Mathemagician

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
UG app is garbage. And for fun try to open up a tab page on your phone browser. You can't. It's to push the use of their worthless overpriced app. Songster is where it's at.

Vrollin

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hi. Ben here from Ultimate Guitar app support. We're delighted you're enjoying the convenience of having your most commonly searched guitar-related queries all in one app, right on your iPhone or Android device!

Wat...

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
3 dead reddit links confirms the UG is deceptive?

Hum huzzah!

Vrollin

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Do not place forth trust into a snake oil salesman

I know right, not sure at which point the OP said he was enjoying his experience. Customer service across the board is .... with all companies these days. Oh you have a complaint, here's a copy paste responce to assist you...

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Step one: DL app, pay $3
Step two: DL add-on to make app work, pay $5
Step three: Realize neither app nor add-on work, pay $7
Step four: Pay $9
Step five: To uninstall, pay $11
Step six: To remove ads after uninstalling, pay $13
etc.

There was a Marx Brothers movie, ages ago, where one of the guys accosted someone on the street: "You wanna hear a song on the trombone, I'll play it for you for a dollar!" "No!" "Ok, well if you want to not hear a song on the trombone, it'll cost you two dollars!"

This is the business model for many companies these days...

Welcome to the 21st century.

You

þ
Reaction score
Step one: DL app, pay $3
Step two: DL add-on to make app work, pay $5
Step three: Realize neither app nor add-on work, pay $7
Step four: Pay $9
Step five: To uninstall, pay $11
Step six: To remove ads after uninstalling, pay $13
etc.

There was a Marx Brothers movie, ages ago, where one of the guys accosted someone on the street: "You wanna hear a song on the trombone, I'll play it for you for a dollar!" "No!" "Ok, well if you want to not hear a song on the trombone, it'll cost you two dollars!"

This is the business model for many companies these days...

Welcome to the 21st century.
Step seven: ???
Step eight: Profit

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Reaction score
What was the nature of the community on UG? I.E. were they a helpful, kind, and honest bunch, or the opposite?

I'm gonna put a pin in this right now. Don indicated that he felt ripped off after posting on UG for 4 years; that should make his feelings clear. Any further discussion on the subject will only end in the same inter-forum bashing that inevitably results in someone getting banned. Because you're still relatively new here, you might not know this, but the mods take a dim view of negatively-toned discussions of other forums here, and are not afraid to invoke their powers if even the specter of such a discussion looms in order to nip it in the bud (and rightly so, as such discussions always end badly). Consider that when you think about making any such inquiries in the future.