Feeling kinda bad for Suhr...

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by Heart Of The Sunrise, Jul 1, 2021.

1. asopala

asopala SS.org Regular

In all fairness, most Japanese bands that I follow tend to mostly play domestically, as the country does have the second largest music industry on the planet, second only to the USA. Not to mention the country is a good bit smaller (just about the size of California), so there's a lot less risk bringing instruments if you're not flying all over the place (and aren't any more than 6 hours from Tokyo by bullet train). A lot less to worry about, I feel.

Similar thing with many Korean bands that mostly stay domestic, but the country is the size of Indiana (or Ireland).

AltecGreen likes this.
  2. Heart Of The Sunrise

Heart Of The Sunrise SS.org Regular

Ok, now that there has been multiple comments along these lines I feel that I need to clarify that saying that I “felt bad” for Suhr was poor wording. Never in my life have I lost sleep over how well a fuckin’ guitar company is doing. Secondly, I also understand that a boutique operates differently than a major manufacturer. Lastly, I am aware that Suhr is not actually doing any worse business-wise as compared to when they had more frequent “exposure” per se.

My point in making this thread was not to provide any misguided lamentation for a successful and renowned guitar company, but rather to primarily remark on how successful Ibanez and Charvel have been in not only making very good interpretations of a certain style of guitar but also in actually managing to pull the large majority of artists who previously the “original”, if you will. Secondarily, I had just noticed that Suhrs have had less “representation” compared to when the Ibanezes and Charvels did not exist yet.

3. Musiscience

Musiscience Hail the Ibbyborn!

Exactly!

Not knocking Charvel DKs or Ibby AZs in any way, they are really cool and well playing guitars for the money. But they don't even come close to the exceptional build quality and attention to detail and the fit and finish of a Suhr. People who are after that very special instrument will not go the AZ route.

Charvel's CS is very good too, and will surely do a DK24, but it will put you in the same price ballpark as Suhr or TA.

4. Hired Goon

Hired Goon SS.org Regular

Yes I had complained on TGP about spending 4-5k on a guitar because in the end I'd sound exactly the same on a 1k guitar. Suhr said he was simply trying to build the best mousetrap he could. I asked about an import line like PRS did but he said he didn't trust the foreign labour to be consistent. Additionally he felt that it was a lot of work and sales to simply feed the machine with a foreign factory. I think he's doing fine. Sure Ibanez and Charvel have copied his stuff but they all do that to each other. He himself copied Fender

5. Bordcla

Bordcla SS.org Regular

How many Suhrs have you sampled? The others you quoted may have a similar nominal feature set and general outward design. But that's where the resemblance ends.

Do you think that those entry level Chryslers with chrome side gills are the same as a Bentley because they kinda look similar?

Wood choice and prep, fretwork (not all SS fretwork is the same), nut, setup, pickup quality (Suhr has noiseless pickups and generally very high quality pickups), fit and finish.

I have an AZ. Great guitar, but it's not comparable to a Suhr except in general design. The build and fit and finish are not in the same league. The pickups also.

6. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

I think the point being made is that while, yes, a Bentley is nicer than a Chrysler, but they'll both get you from point A to point B.

Not everyone cares, or can even appreciate, the finer details that separate a $1k guitar from a $3k. Which isn't a knock on anyone. I'd say most guitarists fall into that category.

Thaeon, AxeHappy, Perge and 2 others like this.
  7. Matt08642

Matt08642 SS.org Regular

The biggest detail between $1000 and $3000 in 2021 is how the former has a Made in China sticker, and the latter has a Made in Indonesia sticker + poplar burl veneer

ryanougrad likes this.
  8. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

ain't nobody but prs trying to charge you 1000 dollars for a mic production guitar.

9. Matt08642

Matt08642 SS.org Regular

I should clarify I mean in Canada, where MIC Epiphones are $1050 after tax.

fabronaut and AxeHappy like this.
  10. diagrammatiks

condolences for your country.

AxeHappy and Matt08642 like this.
  11. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

Eastman has entered the chat.

fabronaut and AxeHappy like this.
  12. Hired Goon

I don't care how good it is, if it's MIC I'm not touching it

13. skinhead

skinhead Manager / RHLC ©

Poot Suhr with their incredible built guitars against Ibanez cakes… yeah… poor Suhr.

14. diagrammatiks

where do you people even come from

failsafe, fabronaut, AxeHappy and 3 others like this.
  15. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

Wrong scenario.
    Good scenario: guitar crate is lost/misplaced by flight company/stolen in the tourbus-van during lunch. Band calls distributor who directs them to a source who will lend a guitar for the rest of the tour.

16. budda

Have fun with that.

AxeHappy likes this.
  17. Hired Goon

No the question is actually where do you people come from. If you are ok with supporting and enabling forced labor, atrocious working conditions, genocide, forced sterilization, kidnapping diplomacy, international bullying, Covid cover-ups, then you go ahead and buy that cheap garbage, and support that lovely regime. Now if you are talking about Chinese people, they are great, no issue there.

Off topic but I'm glad that Suhr didn't lower himself

18. diagrammatiks

HE LITERALLY DID

AxeHappy and mbardu like this.
  19. budda

Do you... Not know the history of the EU, Canada and the USA?

Avedas, fabronaut, AxeHappy and 2 others like this.
  20. diagrammatiks

shitlibs don't know anything.

AxeHappy likes this.