Feeling kinda bad for Suhr...

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by Heart Of The Sunrise, Jul 1, 2021.

1. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

they definitely did once.

Thaeon and HoneyNut like this.
  2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

And absolutely no one bought them. :shrug:

3. diagrammatiks

was it because no one bought them or because consistency was all over the place and he didn't want to deal with it anymore.

I still think he did the 1k+ Chinese guitar a decade too early. Bet they'd sell a container full of them now.

4. MaxOfMetal

Suhr said they didn't move enough to make it worthwhile and that the margins were too small. Retailers wound up discounting the last of them, and they still sat for some time.

The few I played were solid, so I don't think quality was the problem.

But, at the time, you could get an Ibanez Prestige for less, so folks just did that.

If they released them today everyone probably just say to buy a used AZ. :lol:

For those curious about the Rasmus line:
    https://www.themusiczoo.com/blogs/news/up-close-with-rasmus-guitars-from-suhr

AxeHappy, HoneyNut and aesthyrian like this.
  5. diagrammatiks

They were selling a decade ago for like 1200 and their margins were too small

yeesh.

The entire set of Suhr features costs like 300-400 to produce now.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338014327&icep_item=274638171939

6. MaxOfMetal

7. diagrammatiks

No I mean they'd definitely have to build them better then that one. They definitely wouldn't build that guitar and charge 1200 for it.

But the recent prs guitars show that people are definitely ok with paying 1300-1400 for a Chinese guitar now.

also there's a rasmus selling for 1600 on reverb. what the crack.

8. mbardu

mbardu SS.org Regular

There's one selling for 1600, sure (and what a steal of a deal! It's 500$ down from 2100)...but there's also another one for 1800$ ;)

9. maliciousteve

maliciousteve Contributor

Have to agree. I compared a Charvel So Cal to a Suhr Modern Drip 80's and quite honestly the Suhr certainly wasn't £3000 better. I was more than happy to stick with the Charvel at that time.

jl-austin likes this.
  10. soliloquy

soliloquy SS.org Regular

i'm no subject expert, but what i see is that, if you compare Suhr to Gibson, the latter REALLY cares if another brand makes a les paul type guitar. Gibson is in direct competition with the entire world.
    Suhr, on the other hand, doesn't care if existing shapes exist through Schecter, Kiesel, Charvel, Jackson, G&L, Fender, TA etc. People will buy Suhr if they have the means to it.

I personally appreciate Suhr's style on artist relationship than other brands. Artist will play them, and Suhr doesn't really have to pay them to keep that relationship going. People can play whatever they want but will return when they realize what Suhr has to offer

Thaeon and Mathemagician like this.
  11. Matt08642

Matt08642 SS.org Regular

A big thing for musicians is also being able to access parts/entire guitars anywhere in the world.

I can walk in to a store in California, Toronto, and probably all over Europe and Asia and find an Ibanez or Charvel off the shelf - Conversely I've never seen a Suhr in real life

12. mbardu

mbardu SS.org Regular

I feel like I've heard this argument so many times. That the artists need to access their gear from anywhere in the world...but never understood how it could be anything but total BS.

Are we thinking a travelling artist would realize the day of a gig in a random country that their guitar and all its backups are somehow broken beyond repair, and they have to rush to the local guitar store to buy one at the last minute? And that in this scenario the guitar store would be guaranteed to have their model available in stock in a good shape? And that if they did not, then the artist would just have to give up on the gig instead of using something else? I'm Like.....

Doesn't make sense for small budding artists; they're not going to play diva if they have to use another guitar instead of their exact signature.
    And makes even less sense for big signature artists; like, sure a Jem/PItA or a JP is going to be available in many places...but we're talking about people who travel with 12 backups and a couple of guitar techs so...

Not even talking about the artists who play anything but their signature models in practice...

Wolfhorsky, AboutBlank and RevelGTR like this.
  13. CerealKiller

CerealKiller SS.org Regular

Not everyone can carry multiple backups, and it is easier to get hold of loan guitars and leave your broken stuff with a dealer, than having to buy a new one at a random retailer or have it shipped from abroad.
    Yeah it's a luxury thing, but if you going on a long tour, it's nice to know that in the worst case that all your backup gear fails, there might be a local dealer who can help you out, without bankrupting you.

14. Supernaut

Supernaut SS.org Regular

Somebody in this thread already mentioned that Suhr doesn't do traditional endorsement deals (think it was Max), so it's likely a touring artist will have to pay for backups out of their own pocket with Suhr. No financially responsible touring artist who's just starting out is going to pay for a top-end Suhr when they can get multiple functionally fine guitars for free that get the job done.

Realistically speaking - how many 'backups' are you going to get through Suhr versus a deal with Ibanez or Fender? What about if you want something with a few different pickup configs? Ibanez could literally send you one of dozens of production guitars right off the shelf anywhere in the world. Gear gets stolen? Bummer, but your guitar is easily replaceable.

15. MaxOfMetal

Chances are, if you're big enough for a "send you loaner guitars around the world" sort of deal you're in the position to have the means of providing for and accounting for issue with backup/replacement gear.

If you're "just starting out" even the more monied companies aren't just throwing gear at you all willy-nilly.

16. Siggevaio

Siggevaio SS.org Regular

People that can afford a Suhr will probably buy a Suhr anyway. I sold a Suhr a while back and bought a Fender Player Strat, and I'm really happy with it. But if money wasn't an issue I would never go with a MIM Fender over a Strat.

17. Marked Man

Marked Man SS.org Regular

Suhr has their niche. And they are doing more than ok in it.

18. Dyingsea

Dyingsea SS.org Regular

Suhr is a staple in the boutique world so not having certain endorsers is moot. Many also seem to forget a super strat style is only one of their many offerings and most guys are playing their classic strat & tele styles. I would guess the suhr modern probably accounts for the smallest amount of their sales. Look at how fast the Suhr Aura sold out and at its price point.

19. RevelGTR

RevelGTR PRS, Fender, Warmoth

Suhr’s are truly special instruments, and I say that as someone who owns and adores an AZ. Suhr sells every guitar they make and has a waiting list of over a year for custom orders, I don’t think you need to feel too bad for them.

20. AltecGreen

AltecGreen SS.org Regular

Someone better tell Natsumi of Caspa and Hyunjung of Rolling Quartz. Both just got expensive Suhrs that they have been gigging with. (Bear in mind Suhr is much more expensive in Japan and Korea than in the US). I discovered Caspa because they were an opening act at the 2021 Naon Yaon show and I was like why does the opening act have someone using an expensive Suhr. The irony is that the more established bands in that event were using off the shelf Ibanez guitars.

Natsumi's Suhr unboxing

Hyunjung talking about her new Suhr duing their recent livestream show. (time marked)

I follow a lot of smaller bands in Japan and Asia. You would think for small bands or starting bands, the musicians would use affordable instruments. What I see instead are a lot of players using stupidly expensive instruments. The winner in this case is Yuna Anjou who is in high school but gigs with a PRS Private Stock. Not sure why this is the case but there are enough cases to see a trend.

Masoo2 likes this.