Feedback issue

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by dalundo, Feb 18, 2011.

1. dalundo

dalundo Member

I just picked up my first half stack and got a nice array of pedals to compliment it. My bare-bones setup is an LTD MH400 played through a 5150 hooked up to an Ampeg slanted 4x12 with a boss NS-2 to keep everything contained.:hbang:

Unfortunately I've got a bit of a feedback issue with this setup. Unless the NS-2's threshold is maxed, I get crazy feedback, especially in between my chugging riffs. As a matter of fact, even with the threshold on max, I get a few squeaks coming through on my breakdowns.

The other guitarist in my band runs an identical setup with a straight cab and his NS-2's threshold is dialed down quite a bit and he has no feedback issues at all.

I've tried different cables and even a different slant cab, but I keep getting this same issue. My sustain is being destroyed and I'm still getting feedback! This can't happen live! Someone help!

2. Albionic

Albionic First of the magi

if your other guitarist has the same setup without the feed back then somethings not working swap everything in your setup with your other guitarists one unit at a time. i'd start with the guitar and work backwards. then you will know whats causing the issue

if it stops when you swap the guitar try knocking on the body of the guitar if the noise comes out of the amp you have a microphonic pickup(usually on older guitars)
    if its the amp try knocing on the amp and if the noise comes out of the speaker then you have a microphonic valve.

hope this helps

3. Rook

Rook Electrifying

Take everything out of your signal chain, take your head and cab and plug a different guitar and cable and try your lead channel again, but set every control to 5 (middle of the range basically)

If your problem persists it'll be your V1 preamp tube or possibly a power tube. Should e a preamp tube that's gone microphonic. If that's not it, you're either using too much gain or your guitar's pickups have an issue

4. Soubi7string

Soubi7string WOP WOP WOP WOP WOP

turn the gain down and step away from the amp and other electronics.that is what I suggest.