Fear Factory - Regenerate

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by sonoftheoldnorth, Sep 11, 2020.

1. sonoftheoldnorth

sonoftheoldnorth SS.org Regular

"I am a tool" -Burton Seabell

HeHasTheJazzHands and Werecow like this.
  2. Vyn

Vyn Not a Sparkly Vampire

Basically, Burton fucked up.

Wildebeest and HeHasTheJazzHands like this.
  3. duffbeer33

duffbeer33 Contributor

Well, regardless of the singer, I'll probably check out the album. Burton's voice is pretty iconic, but I've generally liked everything Dino has done. From Divine Heresy to Brujeria, hell even that Roadrunner United song with Matt Heafy was good. Where I'll be intrigued is to see if he finds a dude that can mimic Burt's vocals (I'm sure there's someone who can do it) or if he goes to a more brutal style screamer.

4. Zer01

Zer01 SS.org Regular

Burt will be on the album.

5. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands SS.org Regular

6. PatientMental76

PatientMental76 SS.org Regular

I honestly didnt mind the drum machine, i think people that bitched were not musicians & jumped on the bandwagon! FF drums were time aligned anyway as is with most bands so there was no difference! Had they not been honest about it people wouldnt have complained!

Wildebeest, VGK17 and buriedoutback like this.
  7. ZXIIIT

ZXIIIT XIII

I thought it was great and sounded like another chapter in the Fear Factory discography.

The general response to the drums on that album was either "the drums sound great" or "I hate the drums because they are programmed" lol.

buriedoutback likes this.
  8. Vyn

Vyn Not a Sparkly Vampire

It was amusing at the time watching people lose their minds over an INDUSTRIAL band using programmed drums. Whole point of the genre is to be as mechanical as fuck.

9. HeHasTheJazzHands

IIRC a lot of the backlash was also because they had fucking GENE HOGLAN and didn't use him. I remember a lot of people saying "How are you gonna have Gene and not have him play drums" But yeah, it was later revealed the guys didn't want to re-use him again because $$$.

EDIT: Also I'm of two minds. I agree, they're an industrial metal band who's known for their extremely mechanical, precise sound. A lot of industrial metal bands are. But at the same time, Gene Hoglan had a point where FF is one of the few industrial bands known for their drummer. They're not like other industrial metal bands where the drums are... there.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
    Vyn, VGK17 and Quiet Coil like this.
  10. Quiet Coil

Quiet Coil Only obsesses over guitars when not playing them.

Beat me to it. They basically did have a drum machine with Hoglan on Mechanize (and a more imaginative one at that). Gene seemed like the absolute perfect fit to bring them to the next level, but who knows.

11. HeHasTheJazzHands

I think he would have made things more aggressive. Besides Recharger, a lot of Industrialist is more (comparatively) mid-paced than Mechanize. But yeah, it seemed like Gene warranted a big bill and Dino/Burt were like... nah. :lol: Also reading interviews after the fact, Gene saw it as more of a paycheck and didn't really care, but I'm wondering how much of that is bitterness.

Quiet Coil likes this.
  12. Werecow

Werecow SS.org Regular

It seems like the core ethos of Fear Factory has been $$$ and bitterness for many years now :( And the crazy thing is it seems to come from everywhere in the band. So many shitty decisions and what looks like backstabbing over the years.

I saw interviews about them considering a drum machine live a while back. I bet that was just for more $$$ as well.

13. PatientMental76

Thats how Gene is hes not committed to any band, he always been a gun for hire & the smack he talked after FF made him look bad in my opinion! Great drummer but shitty attitude & ego!

14. ArtDecade

ArtDecade John Bohlinger's Dank Stash

Didn't he find out the album was completed without his input on something like Blabbermouth or MetalSucks? If that is the case, I think he has a reason to be a little tiffed with them.

15. PatientMental76

Yeah but he claims he had no interest in FF from the beginning & never listened to them! Its obvious he wanted more pay than FF was willing to give a guy whos just there for the money! Would be hard to be in a band with a guy like that so i dont blame them for not even bothering to tell him!

16. RevDrucifer

RevDrucifer SS.org Regular

To be fair, Gene was really passionate about Strapping Young Lad and Devin’s said it repeatedly on his recent podcasts. All those guys were, which is why it was hard for Devin to put the band to rest.

But it’s entirely possible as a result of that, seeing how things can turn south despite the amount of success, that Gene wanted to make sure he was going to get paid for his work instead of hanging on in some limbo, waiting to find out if he was going to be utilized or not.

He’s earned his status by being a badass motherfucker who can blast out flawless 1st takes (pun intended). Unfortunately for Gene, Dino knows he can hire some dude who can play great that hasn’t made a name for themself yet for a much cheaper price. It’s not like it takes a killer drummer to write drum parts for FF, you can practically eliminate all the drum fills and just focus on kick/snare/cymbals and you’re good to go. So unless Dino wanted to incorporate Gene’s abilities as a writer, he’s a bit overkill.

17. Schmeer

Schmeer Riff .....istrator

And?
    I'm pretty sure the guys from FF approached Gene to play on their album, not the other way around. Why should him not being a fan of FF be an issue at all? At least he's honest about it :shrug:

AFAIK Gene was never considered a permanent member of FF in the first place, so I can't see anything wrong with him demanding to get paid for his services. It's kind of what session guys do, you know?
    If Dino and Burt thought that was too expensive, they should have acted like professionals and told him :2c:

If I had turned down other opportunities and cleared out my schedule to be available, only to find out through the media that my services weren't needed, I would have used way harsher words than what Gene did :lol:

18. ArtDecade

ArtDecade John Bohlinger's Dank Stash

Gene is a towering musician in metal. If someone has the chance and capacity (money/fame/etc) to add him to your band, he will increase the musicianship and fanfare of the music. Why would FF even be on his map? The drums are mostly synthetic, so its not like he was checking them out. They had a chance to bring in a top pro, but didn't want to pay the price. That's fine, but they should have been more open with him about how they were planning on moving forward.

19. Ataraxia2320

Ataraxia2320 SS.org Regular

Fear factory's drums may be simple, but the drums that gene did managed to add a whole layer of memorability on top.

It's one of the reasons why it's my second favourite FF album.

Archetype - Mechanize - Obsolete - Demanufacture.

20. PatientMental76

No offense but had you not known it was Gene on that album i dont think you would have said that! The drums are really no different than any other post Ray FF album besides having Gene's name attached!

Vyn likes this.