FCB 1010 Uno users, simple question

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by guitarplayerone, Feb 9, 2014.

1. guitarplayerone

guitarplayerone SS.org Regular

Hey guys,

It looks like some trades are coming together so I will end up with a e530->G Major 2 -> Mesa 2:95 -> Mesa 2x12 rig (first real rig!)

The GMaj can control all of the engl's channels. I imagine I have to send a CC note on/off on two channels at the same time to do something like switch to High Gain/Lead mode at the same time (which I need).

Can the FCB 1010 with the UNO do this? It seems like a great controller, especially for the price.

2. yingmin

yingmin Parker über alles

First off, CC and note on/off are two separate MIDI commands. Second, the G Major can't control ALL of the Engl's functionality, since it only has one relay output, and the e530 has two switch inputs. You can choose to control either both functions of one switch, or one function each of the two switches. Now, the FCB has relay switches of its own, so between the two of them, yes, you can control everything on the e530*.

So the question becomes, how do you intend to do it? If you want to be able to footswitch on the fly with the FCB, you can go straight from its relay jacks to the e530. Alternately, you can program relay commands into presets of the G Major, since I'm guessing you won't be using the same effects settings for both clean and distorted tones, at least not that often. If you're programming relay commands into the G Major's presets, you don't need the FCB to do anything.

*edit: upon rereading, I may have misinterpreted what you meant. When I had an e530, I only used one of the switch inputs, because I never needed preamp bypass or whatever the other control on the second switch input was. Are you intending to only use the G Major to switch between channel 1/2 and lead on/off?

furtheredit: to actually answer the question you asked in a straightforward manner, yes, the FCB can do that, but exactly how you do it depends on how granular you want your control over the channel switching to be. If you only plan to use clean with lead off, and distortion with lead on, then you can program a single pedal on the FCB to whatever CC you want, and have the G Major respond to that CC by switching both relays. If you want a channel footswitch and a gain/lead footswitch, you just need two different pedals with different CCs.

probablylastedit: yes, the FCB is a great MIDI controller. It's one of the few things Behringer makes that's legitimately awesome in its own right, and not just a cheap knockoff of a better product.

guitarplayerone likes this.
  3. guitarplayerone

guitarplayerone SS.org Regular

First, thank you for your detailed response!
    Edit: you're right it only has one relay in stereo.
    Edit2: Yes I just need Clean/Lead and Gain Lo/High. (And yes I suppose the FCB does have the other relay)
    I'm thinking of using the switches in the uno's stompbox mode. I imagine that the G major can switch both on/off no problem switching patches. Since the UNO can't send more than one Note On signal, I guess the real question is if the G major can read a single 'note on' to change both channels at once. For more granular control, I imagine I would be able to set up a different midi note to change between the gains.

Did I understand this correctly?

4. yingmin

yingmin Parker über alles

Forget about note on; what you want is CCs (continuous controllers). You can assign a stomp box footswitch to send a CC, and program the G Major to associate that CC with a relay change. If you want a single pedal to turn both of the e530's functions on or off, all you have to do is set both relays in the G Major to the same CC.