Favourite Superior Drummer expansion pack

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by justallama, Jul 17, 2014.

1. justallama

justallama SS.org Regular

Title says it all, if you could only pick ONE expansion pack....what would it be?

Getting superior drummer soon and not sure which one(s) to buy

2. ZachK

ZachK Ronda Rousey Fanboy

I'm a big fan of the I'm a big fan of the The Metal Foundry SDX | Toontrack

That being said, Avatar - the standard kit, can serve up a ton of tones suitable for everything, the last djent tone I created was in avatar, it is super versatile.

You can also download artist presets from dudes like Bulb (Misha) for $15 or so, check those as well!

3. justallama

Metal Foundry is certainly one I'm looking at, but I've heard a lot of people saying the kit is mostly tuned really badly and that the cymbals are the only decent part of the kit...

4. ZachK

ZachK Ronda Rousey Fanboy

The kit sounds fine to me.. There are so many options for every drum you'll be able to find something you like

5. fwd0120

fwd0120 Bipedal Hominid

Any of the NY series. It's like having "more" of the already great Avatar kit!

6. Gemmeadia

Gemmeadia SS.org Regular

Use the Metal Foundry kit for cymbals, avatar snare, and trigger the kick with a decent sample and you'll be solid to start

7. justallama

you guys seem pretty happy with Metal Foundry so I'll probably go for that then, there's always more expansion packs if I want more in the future!

The NY ones aren't on offer like the other ones :( so I probably won't get one of them.

One shop has a bundle with Metal Foundry and Metal Machine EZX (which saves only about £10 so not the greatest saving), would it be worth getting? Or just Metal Foundry for now?

8. Erockomania

Erockomania Studio Geek

Metal Foundry is a great pack for sure. I use it for most everything. There aren't a ton of snare I use from it, but I wouldn't say they are tuned badly at all. In fact, most are tuned well.

Here is a kit based almost entirely of MF:
    [SC]https://soundcloud.com/eric-hill1/e-forests-skervesen-bkp-ownhammer-axe-fx2-superior-drummer[/SC]

9. Alcoholocaust

Alcoholocaust SS.org Regular

Metal Foundry for cymbals, Metal Machine for kicks and snares

10. Sinborn

Sinborn Tube Guru

I agree. The toms just don't sound like one cohesive kit. I've been using SD Metal Foundry to replace a kit for an album I'm finishing. Need 4 rack toms/2 floor toms and there's one group of toms that has 10/12/13/14/16/18. They don't sound horrible but the ....ing 10 doesn't have any snare interaction. I'm just thinking "what the hell". It's like they took the whole drumkit out of the room and stood this tom on a stand all by itself for the samples.

The cymbals are mostly great. I'm not finding a stack sound I really like but I make do with what's there. Some more splash options moved around the kit would have been nice. I use two for my own band's demos and I don't like both on the hihat side.

People that think metal foundry sounds good must not be using more than 2 toms. The kicks/snares are great. The toms....

11. Ocara-Jacob

Ocara-Jacob SSO Recluse

I've been using the Rock Warehouse SDX a lot recently, and I love it.

12. TheWinterSnow

TheWinterSnow SS.org Regular

I used the metal foundry for years and was never happy with it, was never a fan of the productions and albums the the engineers that works on it done. I have been using the Andy Sneap (Metal Machine) EZX expansion in SD2.0 ever since. Don't like the snares though, but I replace them with Slate trigger.

I can also vouch for the fact the shells in The Metal Foundry are horribly out of tune. Kick and snares only sound like Meshuggah, no matter how much processing you do to them. Cymbals were good, though after some time, the Andy Sneap expansion cymbals grew on me more. I use some splashes and stacks from TMF, I think that was the one thing they got right.

Stock avatar library sounds like butt to me, absolutely useless.

13. Ocara-Jacob

Ocara-Jacob SSO Recluse

What about it don't you like, specifically?

14. TheWinterSnow

TheWinterSnow SS.org Regular

Too processed, sounds very small. Mop\st of your e work is trying to compensate for the processing job they did. I hate that some of the pieces have intermodulation distortion mostly the cymbals.

15. Ocara-Jacob

Ocara-Jacob SSO Recluse

Pretty sure those drums are unprocessed...

Those cymbals are my favorite of all time though. Well, some of them. The default ones are pretty meh.

16. Taylord

Taylord SS.org Regular

I think I get my best results with the Avatar Kit and layering in or replacing the kick. Would like to get a NY library or the Rock Warehouse though. I think Metal Machine and Metal! can cover more ground than Foundry just by being more recent and being captured better.

17. justallama

After doing a bit of research, I'm also considering the Metal! ezx, what I've heard sounds pretty awesome :hbang:

18. illimmigrant

illimmigrant A Different Logic

I've got the Avatar Kit, Metal Foundry, Metal Machine EZX, and recently grabbed Rock Warehouse.

Metal Foundry is my least favorite. The sounds in it just don't really cater to what I'm doing, but the cymbal selection is pretty good, particularly hats and Chinas. I don't like the snares one bit, but I use the "chamber" mic as my snare reverb, and I think it rocks.

Metal Machine was recommended to me by Nolly. It has 3 awesome kick drums and I really like the Bell Brass snare sample there. Probably my favorite pack and provides the most bang for buck.

For toms, the avatar and rock warehouse are my favorites. I think they both sound amazing.

The Metal Machine EZX is a little more processed sounding, and I'm currently blending one of those kicks below the Rock Warehouse Gretsch kick. I put up a couple of quick tests on my sound cloud, if you want to check them out.

If I had to pick only one EZX, go for the Metal Machine. If you want a "superior line sample", then Rock Warehouse.

19. Ocara-Jacob

Ocara-Jacob SSO Recluse

Rock Warehouse for the win. For what it's worth (not a lot), I found the Rock Solid EZX to be absolutely useless, and the SDX counterpart to be the best sample library I've ever used.

20. noise in my mind

noise in my mind SS.org Regular

any one try evil drums? I heard that's a great library, though it has been discontinued. I just use dfh superior 1 and 2 and metal foundry. I think the strength with toontrack products is the fact that you can combined and layer from different libraries.