Favourite not popular guitarist?

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Bentaycanada, Jun 6, 2020.

1. beerandbeards

beerandbeards Majestic Shoveler

I don’t feel like like a lot of people talk about Chuck. At least I don’t see it. Regardless he is my inspiration of guitar

2. Harry

Harry Doom man of Doom. Contributor

This thread has gone the way it did on TheGearPage, in that it's become more of a "Guitarists you like" than anything much to do with the actual premise of the thread. Once we start naming some of the most legendary guitarists of particular genres, it becomes a bit pointless.

3. Enter Paradox

Enter Paradox SS.org Regular

I have always leaned towards the heavyweights in hard rock i.e Mike Mushok (Staind, Saint Asonia), Clint Lowery and John Connolly from Sevendust (both put out awesome solo projects and they sing incredibly well too)

Currently I'm really into Sam Vallen's playing in Caligula's Horse, top notch

4. MFB

MFB ExBendable

I don't see them mentioned on here a lot given the more heavy nature of our libraries, but let's also give a shoutout for the symphonic metal dudes like Emppu Vuorinen (Nightwish), Jani Liimatainen (Sonata Arctica), and Luca Turilli (Rhapsody)

5. Wildebeest

Wildebeest SS.org Regular

IMO Josh Martin is the best modern "tappy" guitarist. His use of progressive guitar techniques is so much more tasteful and musical than almost everyone else out there right now. You can really tell that him and Tosin were buddies and challenged each other to grow.

Absolutely dude.

works0fheart likes this.
  6. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Yeah, like half the guys mentioned in here have signature gear available at Guitar Center. :lol:

fps and brector like this.
  7. BeyonThe7thSeal

BeyonThe7thSeal Member

He may not be “underrated” per say, but I always felt that Gary Holt never gets enough love, same with Rick Hunolt. Craig Locicero as well.

watson503, Bdtunn and Zeus1907 like this.
  8. works0fheart

works0fheart Tike Myson

Huge fan of Josh Martin. Saw them years ago before they came out with their newest album, right on the back of For Distant Viewing. They had a rough version of Still More Like Jason back then and I think it got the whole crowd dancing when they went into the break for that song. While I've heard the stories of Josh and Tosin knowing each other, Josh has said a few times that this dude was one of his bigger influences and it shows. Or at least I'm pretty sure he did. It's been years since I've really followed him closely so I could be wrong lol.

In any case, definitely an underrated guitarist. Hell, Little Tybee as a whole are all pretty. Brock has an incredible voice and I can safely say he's the real deal as well when it comes to performing live, as they all are. It makes me really happy to see bands as experimental as them getting some traction. Gives me some hope for modern music.

Wildebeest and Masoo2 like this.
  9. Zeus1907

Zeus1907 SS.org Regular

I second Hufnagel; also Ziff, he’s a great rock/classic metal player. I first saw him in his old/first band back in the mid 2000’s. Even then he was a polished guitarist, Age of Evil.

mastapimp and Spaced Out Ace like this.
  10. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

Jordan is great. First video I saw of him was demoing George Lynch's Dragon wah.

mastapimp likes this.
  11. DrakkarTyrannis

DrakkarTyrannis WWSD?

Zim Zum, formerly of Marilyn Manson. Mechanical Animals had some tasty riffs and the lead work on Fundamentally Loathsome is my favorite moment on the album. I think Zim was the best guitarist Manson ever had.
    [​IMG]

Infernus from Gorgoroth is an influence of mine who creeps into my playing style in a way I don't even notice often until I listen to his music. There's just something to be said about a guitarist who just knows what to do and when to do it. Despite him being a black metal guitarist his style is what I would call tasteful.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020 at 7:03 AM
    BeyonThe7thSeal likes this.
  12. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

Did Zim play on Portrait?

13. DrakkarTyrannis

DrakkarTyrannis WWSD?

Nope. He only played on Mechanical Animals

14. Manurack

Manurack Nunavut Inuk

First one that comes to mind is Joe Bonamassa - he's a modern day Blues king!

Also Ron Bumblefoot Thal had an incredible guitar solo on a fretless guitar on the Sons of Apollo track "Alive" skip to 3:15 for the solo.

Rob Arnold of Chimaira is sick. Josh Middleton is a beast. Jared James Nichols, Prince is an absolute shredder, John Frusciante, Ken Susi and Buz McGrath of Unearth, and Jacky Vincent from Falling in Reverse really surprised me - he's shreddy as fuck!

15. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

Most of them are popular guitarists.

16. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

Just to add to the fallacy, sure, probably 12 people including myself have heard of this guy, but he has 2 signature guitars. :lol:

But to add constructively, I'm putting Yas Nomura.

Been on the circuit of a new batch of LA session musicians, and usually plays second fiddle to Al Joseph and Mateus Asato. But he's a monster player who can keep up just as well as both of them, be it guitar or bass. Though he does have 31k IG followers, which is considered popular nowadays.

Now THAT is an unpopular choice. :lol:

:wub:

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020 at 12:44 AM
    budda likes this.
  17. Louis Cypher

Louis Cypher SS.org Regular

It was Daisy Berkowitz who was on Manson's Antichrist as well as Smells like Children & Portrait of an American Family

Another of my favourite players who is often forgetten is Tracy "G" Grijalva. He was in Dio's band in the early 90's he played on Angry Machines and Strange Highways as well as being in WWIII with Mandy Lion.

18. Solodini

Solodini MORE RESTS!

Kaki King

Mike Keneally.

KnightBrolaire likes this.
  19. Crundles

Crundles SS.org Regular

I've been really digging Dean Lamb (Archspire)'s content recently. Not even that much the music, even thought Relentless Mutation is wild, but just his general youtube content. I also have some of his guitar lesson vids, they're pretty neat.

Also since the internet has more or less broken my ability to determine popularity, did y'all know Marshall Harrison is a god damn beast? He's a fusion dude, so his actual music is not exactly my jam, but his technique is just insane.

I don't know how to link timestamped videos so just check the below from 2 minutes onward: