Favourite boost for Peavey 6505?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Bentaycanada, Jul 6, 2019.

1. Bentaycanada

Bentaycanada SS.org Regular

I just picked up a Peavey 6505 212 Combo and my current MXR ZW-44 & Boss SD-1 boosts don't feel like the right match for it. So, I'm thinking of grabbing a couple to try out, I'm currently leaning towards a Maxon OD808....

Anyone else got any recommendations?

2. USMarine75

USMarine75 Plays Authentic ® Contributor

Depends on taste...

If you like midhump boosts then there's a bunch... any TS variant. I like ones with bass and treble controls (not just a tone knob) such as the VFE Scream or Ibanez TS9DX. This type of pedal is good for that mid-pushed (almost digital sounding) Periphery type tone. I also really like the SD 805 it has a slightly different character that goes well with 5150s, and it has all the tonal controls necessary.

If you want flatter boost, then pedals like VFE Standout are 10/10. I prefer this for As I Lay Dying type punch.

I don't own any of the Fortin ones, so maybe others can chime in? I'd think the Blade would be a great match.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
  3. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

None. Give it some volume, pick like you mean it and enjoy. Also if you want it to sound boosted, keep that resonance knob down.

Bentaycanada and Necky379 like this.
  4. Necky379

Necky379 SS.org Regular

My 5150 sounds best with an MXR GT-OD or a Reaper pedal I have that is basically a Fulltone OCD. Currently I use the GT-OD with my 5150 and the OCD type pedal I use in front of my XT on Big Bottom.

My other favorite boost is the Budda method above, the red channel unboosted sounds more aggressive than any other amp I’ve owned. Of course it requires different amp settings but it does sound great with nothing in front of it and imo even better with nothing in front of it and some light eq’ing going on in the loop. Clean up the low low frequencies, take a little fizz out of the highs, clean up the low mids depending on the speaker being used is my usual plan of attack with the eq.

If you’re looking for a boost just try an MXR GT-OD, they’re easy to find and the two go together like peas and carrots.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
  5. viifox

viifox SS.org Regular

Does the 6505 really even need a boost?

trem licking and Bentaycanada like this.
  6. Necky379

Necky379 SS.org Regular

Need? No. Both sounds are good sounds.

trem licking and viifox like this.
  7. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

The Maxon OD-808 is a good start :yesway: for me, it's the gold standard of overdrives that everything else gets compared to

8. 7 Stringer

7 Stringer SS.org Regular

Savage Drive.

Very flexible boost and can get TIGHT and AGGRESSIVE. Or smooth.

Love it with all my amps. And i have a 5150 also.

jc986 likes this.
  9. ATRguitar91

ATRguitar91 SS.org Regular

This is what I was going to say. I alternate between the Savings Drive and a Maxon OD808 which is also great. I used the Maxon for years with good success.

Also worth trying an EQ pedal in front. I did this a lot as well and it works great.

10. Werecow

Werecow SS.org Regular

When i saw Carcass, Bill Steer was boosting his 5150 with a Boss SD-1, and it sounded godlike. So whether it "fits" or not is incredibly subjective.

11. youngthrasher9

youngthrasher9 SS.org Regular

I’m assuming given that this is the 212 combo it’s the standard 6505 not the plus? I would imagine that if that’s the case, the fortin grind would probably destroy. It seemingly makes darker amps shine. I would probably personally still love it with the tighter brighter 6505+ but I like an upper midrange that can take hair off your head for that Nile vibed trem picking.