Favorite Guitar Picks

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by jco5055, Apr 30, 2019.

1. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

no :)

at least the ones I have are not. The regular Green Rusty Cooley is quite abit larger

Edit

[​IMG]

2. MYGFH

MYGFH Music your GF hates

Ok, I'm using the Rusty Cooley 2.0's.

lewis likes this.
  3. Chris Bowsman

Chris Bowsman Nu-Metal Apologist Contributor

Today, it’s the Tortex Jazz III 1.14mm. Last night it was a Tortex Sharp 1.35mm.

Now I’m going to order those cheese looking picks.

c7spheres, AkiraSpectrum and lewis like this.
  4. waffles

waffles SS.org Regular

Black jazz IIIs, or the red ones if the black ones are out of stock

Picks aren't really an area that I experiment on and I have been consistent in using jazz IIIs since I started playing guitar and I never really thought of experimenting on other picks.

5. Xk6m6m5X

Xk6m6m5X SS.org Regular

I use the dunlop maxgrip jazziii, the "carbon fiber", they dont really wear and never slip

Quiet Coil likes this.
  6. Quiet Coil

Quiet Coil Only obsesses over guitars when not playing them.

Necro(ish).

I’ve been using the J3 CF Max Grip for nearly as long as they’ve been around (9 years?). Before that it was the .73 Ultex - drastically different.

Lately I’ve been on the hunt for something bigger as my grip strength isn’t great some days and I’ve also realized that my fingers often hit the strings along with the tip of the pick.

The Dunlop Flow line got me excited, but I’m not 100% sold yet. I’m also revisiting the Jazz XL line, specifically the Primetone version (waiting for them to arrive).

One surprise has been the Dunlop Trinity (Petrucci’s triangle), which is ironic as it’s ever so slightly shorter than a J3. This is the first triangle I’ve taken seriously- so much so that I’m also going to try the “regular” sized Primetone Triangle.

The two biggest takeaways for me from this fun little journey are:
    1. I definitely prefer beveled tips
    2. Thicker is generally more comfortable and smoother, but I find I lose too much “snap” in the attack. So far it seems like between 1.0 and 1.5mm is the sweet spot.

P.S. The “Flow 420” (XL 4.2mm) is too thick, too broad, sounds like butt, and is tons of fun to play with. :)

7. thriveNSuffer

thriveNSuffer LOUD

8. primitiverebelworld

primitiverebelworld SS.org Regular

Whoa some thicc picks listed here! I like myself some "give" and small-medium size. My absolute favorites are Planet Waves Blavk Ice 1.10s because : enought flex, not too much flex, not scratchy, not slippey in hand, The Size...they wear very very fast though and one must sharpen these from time to time according to aforementioned methods. Work great with D standard 10-52(ibby). Lately I use Ultex sharp 1.14(good sht..very durable but could go 1.0 next time) filed to Black Ice dimensions and they work well with 11-56 D-standard. Too stiff for lighter gauges really. I think in my experience: as one has found the preferred size and material the thickness of the pick should go according to string gauge, tuning and pickattack-desired sound. I find thin strings - thicc pick hard to play. Gets caught between string too often. Thin pick - thick strings are much better but the speed suffers and picks wear really fast. And I really try to emphasize the attention to pickslanting(both ways). I think the feel and the size matter the most. And then you can choose the thinnnnnezzz :)

9. Xk6m6m5X

Xk6m6m5X SS.org Regular

Ive actually recently switched to the dunlop white fangs, love em, they wear quick though

10. Quiet Coil

Quiet Coil Only obsesses over guitars when not playing them.

The Flow has the same shape as the White Fang, but you get a textured grip, many options for thickness, and they’re made from Ultex which wears a bit slower (plus the bevel on the heavier gauges).

Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
  11. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Quiet Coil likes this.
  12. tedtan

tedtan SS.org Regular

Definitely. I know a lot of people like thicker pics because it helps them relax their grip on the pick, but to me, anything over 2mm feels like I'm holding a marble instead of a pick. Somewhere between 1.0mm and 1.5mm works best for me, personally.

c7spheres and bostjan like this.
  13. vilk

vilk Very Regular

Many years ago I bought two v-picks, Screamer and Medium, in Osaka, way overpriced. At the time I liked the medium better, but I lost it soon after and told myself I'd never buy such an expensive pick again. I picked up the Screamer here and there over the years but always put it back thinking I liked my big stubby 3mm better. But the other day I picked it up again, and magically now I like it more than big stubby 3mm. I looked them up again, now the Screamers are only $4, but they have a big ugly dot in the middle. I guess that must be why they're cheaper now, they must have changed the manufacturing process somehow.

I see Gravity pick makes the same shape called a Stealth. I'll have to check out one of those and see how they compare.