Favorite Extreme Bass OD

Discussion in 'Bass Guitar Discussion' started by Bassman1, Jun 22, 2020.

1. Merrekof

Merrekof SS.org Regular

Wow, you are on a shopping spree :lol:

2. Bassman1

Bassman1 SS.org Regular

Ha! I guess so. Though I should mention, the plan is to A/B them and keep only the winner while returning the rest.

With limited inventory and Covid closures, it seems to be the best way to try out pedals now...

I'm itching to hear the B7K!

3. Merrekof

Merrekof SS.org Regular

Looking forward to see/hear the results :)

4. TemjinStrife

TemjinStrife Power Metal Cellist

Idiotbox Blower Box. Huge low end and great gain from mild overdrive to almost fuzz like. No clean blend but it cuts fine and preserves low end without it.

5. Grindspine

Grindspine likes pointy things

I have a B7k Ultra, which sounds amazing, but can be tricky to dial when you switch between basses. I have a habit of getting an awesome sound, then dialing myself out of it. The cab emulator is handy for direct recording too. There is also a Darkglass plugin by Neural DSP, which sounds wicked on synth tracks, 7 string guitar, or bass. It does require iLok though. Similar to that, the Line 6 Helix Native plugin suite has a distortion called Obsidian, which is a definite nod to the Darkglass sound.

I used to work at a major retailer, so have met some of the Darkglass staff. They are seriously great guys!

6. eggy in a bready

eggy in a bready SS.org Regular

my all time favorite would have to be the MBD by Damnation Audio. i actually did shit myself when i played it through an svt stack for the first time

7. LordIronSpatula

LordIronSpatula A series of interconnected fortune cookies.

The Daring Audio Laser Cannon is really cool. It applies high gain distortion/fuzz to a selectable band of frequencies which gives you the option of leaving the low end clean. The last version of the pedal even allowed selecting between 3 different clipping elements. It’s a less “modern” sound than Darkglass stuff but it can rip pretty hard. Unfortunately they can be hard to find.

The MXR M80 is a good pedal, however I would NOT recommend using the distortion circuit while running the XLR out to front of house.

budda likes this.
  8. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

On the Ultras, anyone tried using 2 together with 2 separate Darkglass IRS active on both blended and if that works?

Just curious as I've never thought of this before. Could use Nollys on one and a different IR on the other?

9. LordIronSpatula

You mean in parallel? You could totally do that but you’d need to mix the signals back together somehow. Easily done while recording, more of a pain on a pedalboard. The Parallax software actually allows for blending two of the IRs and the results can sound really good. I wish that could be done in the DG suite and saved to the pedals somehow.

Running one cab sim into another would probably not sound so good.

lewis likes this.
  10. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Yeah sorry that is what I meant :)

Im sure there are cheapo pedals that can split then blend signals back together. Will look into it, could be awesome haha

11. Merrekof

Merrekof SS.org Regular

The Boss LS-2 and the Behringer AB100 are the first ones that come to mind :)

LordIronSpatula and lewis like this.
  12. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

My Headrush FRFR monitors have 2 inputs.

Could literally do:

Wireless > Tuner > Compressor > Splitter > X Ultra w/ Cab sim >Headrush Input 1
    ...........................................................> B7K w/ Cab sim >Headrush Input 2

Haha

Would have to do it like this because the Darkglass pedals only apply the Cab sim on the XLR output. Unless there is a splitter/buffer pedal that accepts XLR and puts out XLR too?

13. TonyFlyingSquirrel

TonyFlyingSquirrel Cherokee Warrior

The Darkglass is the industry standard for the moment, but another honorable mention would be the Tech-21 GED2112-DI, which also splits the signal between clean and grit. This DI pedal sounds a bit more organic, so if you are looking for something more aggressive ala Periphery or Soundgarden's "Outshined", the the Darkglass pedal, or plugin has you covered.

budda and LordIronSpatula like this.
  14. LordIronSpatula

For stage volume, that sounds like a perfectly good solution. But if you need a DI version to front of house you’d need to ask the sound guy to give you two channels and work with him to blend them to your taste - good luck with that unless you’re famous or he’s your friend. :lol:

Looking at pedalboard-friendly mixing solutions such as those mentioned above, most work using unbalanced 1/4” connections. That means you’d have to convert the balanced XLR outs down to unbalanced 1/4”, mix them, and put them into another DI to get back to a balanced XLR out. Doable as far as the signal itself is concerned but you risk adding noise with that type of maneuver depending on the building you’re in.

A small mixing board would work super well (I’ve seen some on big bass boards) but would take up a lot of space.

If anyone knows of a small device that can mix two or more balanced signals I’m now super curious.

lewis likes this.
  15. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

im hoping something exists haha

16. LordIronSpatula

I feel like it has to. The Behringer MX400 line mixer is the perfect size and does four unbalanced channels: $24. Seems like someone could do something similar with balanced ins and outs for under $40.

This seems like it could be the kind of obvious utility pedal that would be super easy to design and build but there’s just not quite enough demand for it, so it has to be custom-made for way too much money. :lol:

lewis and Merrekof like this.
  17. Merrekof

Merrekof SS.org Regular

How about those small PA mixer. Like with 4 inputs or so?

lewis likes this.
  18. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

ok possibly found something.

Radial mix 2:1 box?

this -

[​IMG]

• Mix two channels to a single mono output
    • Individual level controls can be bypassed when not in use
    • Balanced 1/4″ TRS and XLR inputs
    • Completely passive, no need for power

Looks small enough to pedal board mount too and is only £128

[​IMG]

LordIronSpatula likes this.
  19. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

could then get a cheap Mooer ABY splitter for the start of the chain (they are like £20 or something)

I think this could be killer

so:

Wireless > Tuner > Cali76 > Mooer ABY > Darkglass X Ultra w/IR > Radial 2:1
    .............................................................................................................> F.O.H
    .........................................................> Darkglass B7K w/dif IR > Radial 2:1

LordIronSpatula likes this.
  20. LordIronSpatula

Dude that should do it! The Radial is exactly what I was envisioning. I knew there had to be something like that out there, guess I used the wrong keywords while searching haha.

lewis likes this.