Favorite Extreme Bass OD

Discussion in 'Bass Guitar Discussion' started by Bassman1, Jun 22, 2020.

1. Bassman1

Bassman1 SS.org Regular

So, I've had a Boss Bass overdrive on my board for about 12 or 13 years now. But, to be honest, I've never been a huge fan of the fuzz like tone. I originally got it because I tried out a ton of pedals back then, and I had a hard time finding something with high amounts of gain that still preserved the low end.

It's certainly gotten the job done over the years now, but I'm considering giving another pedal a shot. There just seems to be so many more options out there now then there used to be (go figure!)

So, what are YOU using on your board ? I'm mainly interested in something that just adds a lot of gain but doesn't suck any tone, especially in lower frequencies. Noise isn't an issue either, as I use a G String II.

I hear Darkglass makes some good stuff. Any experience with those too?

2. Merrekof

Merrekof SS.org Regular

Darkglass B3K, definetely! Or if you want an extra EQ, get the Darkglass B7.

The Boss transforms your clean bass tone into a dist/fuzz/od tone. The B3k splits your signal into a clean and dirty signal wich you can mix to your own taste. This way you have that nasty od tone yet you don't have to sacrifice the low end.

Maybe another tip, I used to do this too. Get a Boss LS2 and split the signal the way I explained above. This way you can still use the Boss ODB and it might even open up new possibilities with it.

GenghisCoyne likes this.
  3. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

Fuzz?

Fuzzrocious heliotropic.

4. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Sounds like you're looking for a pedal that can blend the wet (distorted) and dry (clean) signal.

The Darkglass stuff is definitely the most popular right now. I love my A/O head and having demoed the pedal, I think it would certainly be up your alley. There are tons of demos on YT to check out.

For years I used an MXR M-80, which also has a bendable signal, and I highly recommend that too.

5. Beheroth

Beheroth SS.org Regular

I like everything about darkglass except the tone, they all sound too "polished" even the AO, i feel like the AO is getting there but still lacking something. But if you like the tone you definitely wont be disapointed and if you ever have any problem with their products the customer services is stellar, doug castro himself often comes to the rescue.

Anyway, i'm using an idiotbox blower box cause i like rats on bass, i guess because theyre the opposite of "polished"
    Other rat based pedals recomandations : dunwich/magic pedal volt thrower, fuzzrocious rat/cat tail, mxr M85 (designed by the fuzzrocious guy) ...

budda likes this.
  6. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Stacking Darkglass pedals with a compressor is THE one if we are going Extreme haha

so something like:

Origin Effects Cali76 > Darkglass B7K > X Ultra > holy fricken god

7. stevexc

stevexc Contributor

Grab a Source Audio After Shock and experiment to your heart's content.

LordIronSpatula and Beheroth like this.
  8. broj15

broj15 SS.org Regular

EHX hot wax is my current go to for low tuned guitar and bass. Blend knob, 2 band EQ, and the ability to run reach side separately or stacked, plus it has all the gain you'll ever need.
    The only thing I'd change about it, is it would be cool to be able to switch the order of the 2 circuits. As is the Crayons OD side runs into the Hot Wax side, but a little 2 position switch to swap the order could be cool.

I ran a boss ODB3 for a long time, and for $40 it absolutely rips, but the high frequency knob seemed centered in a spot that just didn't work for me. So far the EHX has all the pro's of the ODB3 and none of the cons, plus way more flexibility.

Spinedriver likes this.
  9. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

I'm one of the guys that run a B7K Ultra (or Duality) to a Microtubes 900 so I'm firmly in the Darkglass camp, and yes you can certainly get that extreme bass grind using their stuff.

That said, there's still some fun alternatives. I'm surprised by the Boss Bass Driver, it's the new updated take on the Bass OD, and adds a much needed blend option. I also love the Tech 21 Doug Pinnck sig, since it successfully captures that crushing monster rig into a small pedal.

Prior to Darkglass I was using an MXR M80, which is a lot of pedal for not much cash. I've been on the hunt for the Soul Power modded versions: ver 3 in particular with it's extra features like 190 boost, more EQ options and a cool red finish.

[​IMG]

10. Bassman1

Bassman1 SS.org Regular

Wow...I guess Darkglass really does have a lot of support behind them. I've honestly never heard of them until recently. I am defffffinitely going to have to check them out now! I am hoping some local stores will have the A/O Omicron and the B3K V2. I'd really love to A/B them on my rig (Markbass 15 inch combo and Ibanez SR900).

Also, that MXR M80 sounds pretty rad in videos too. I get exactly the tone I want out of my bass, amp, and compressor. So, I am not too sure if it would be overkill to get something like the M80. But, the distortion sounds saturated...which is exactly what I go for! Also, built in noise gate...it's 2020. I'd like to see that on more pedals and amps.

I have a Boss ODB-3, Boss NS-2, and an EHX Micro Metal Muff that I don't need anymore. So, I'll be selling those soon to make room for one of the above mentioned.

Any other suggestions I should be looking at?

lewis likes this.
  11. budda

12. Merrekof

Merrekof SS.org Regular

13. budda

On bass-specific pedals it's more common, most guitarists don't even think about it :lol:.

Merrekof likes this.
  14. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Also, if they happen to have the X7 or X Ultra pedals - 100% just try them too.

I just grabbed the X Ultra and wow....its mind blowingly good. Its a parallel distortion and you control the clean low end, and the distorted high end separately whilst having the EQ sliders

15. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

My favs has been the B7K, an old green Big Muff, and surprisingly the Fulltone OCD.

16. budda

And after the Fulltone blowup, people are recommending the fuzzrocious demon instead :yesway:.

17. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

And I think Fuzzrocious can put in a clean blend knob, I think. Though after experimenting with various ways to blend clean with OD, I tend to just run pure OD at this point. Even with a B7K I have the blend all the way to OD, just with the OD set relatively low.

budda likes this.
  18. Hexer

Hexer Contributor

Lately I've been putting the OD in the effects loop (I play using a POD X3 Live without any amp simulations running). I set the pedal's blend to 100% and then use the loop's controlls to blend clean/OD 50/50.

Thats more for low gain OD though. If I want really thick, more extreme OD, I might set it to less clean... not sure though. I still experiment with that. Also I use a Schalltechnik_04 GUMA drive (which basically is a DIY B3K clone) and for more extreme, fuzzy stuff, I actually use a Boss ODB3. I really like it. The only problems I have with it is that it has far more gain than I'll probably ever use and expecially that it's so noisy....

Would love to mod it / get it modded to fix those 2 things.

19. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

I have an ODB3 (I think that's what it is) that's a pretty good sounding pedal. I tend to roll both the treble and bass back so the kids become more prominent and it sounds cool to me. But usually it's just the B7K for overdrive and a Big Muff for distortion/fuzz. I tried using clean blends with it, but it took away some of the raunch I think.

20. Bassman1

Bassman1 SS.org Regular

The ODB3 is certainly a good pedal and by no means bad. I am not into the fuzz like overdrive it produces though. I just ordered the B7K, Alpha Omega Omicron, and MXR M80 just to try them out and see which ones suits me best. I will report back this week!

Hexer, LordIronSpatula and budda like this.