Favorite Distortion Pedal For Metal?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Deadpool_25, Jun 3, 2019.

1. kleinenenten

kleinenenten Member

I find it a bit smoother than the TMP, and the treble isn’t quite as shrill, which is a good thing to my ears. I run them both to sound as close as possible to each other, which has taken plenty of tweaking on the TMP. The Shaman is mean, and very responsive to slight knob changes.

I prefer the Shaman, just slightly, for its smoother tone and ease of use. The TMP sounds about 95% there how I have it set up, but is much more tedious to tweak. Not that it’s a bad thing as I like to find a sound and keep it, but it takes patience to find that sound. I think that the TMP is likely somewhat more versatile with its 9-18v options and right knob, but I won’t be using either for “versatility”. Both can cover any sort of thrash/death style I can imagine.

I believe the Shaman is discontinued. It’s worth tracking down, though. I’ve tried other pedals since, and the only one that has come close has been the TMP.

ATRguitar91 likes this.
  2. Spinedriver

Spinedriver SS.org Regular

Funny you should mention the Ceres. I was casually looking at possibly getting one of those but at roughly $500 CDN, it's way too expensive for me. :erk: That and I was on my way to try out the Revv G4 when I decided to pop in & see if the other store had sold the Delta since the last time I was there (and luckily for me, they hadn't).

USMarine75 likes this.
  3. littlebadboy

littlebadboy SS.org Regular

Why just distortion when you can have it all with the Boss GT-1 into the effects loop! It's priced almost like a single pedal.When I had it, my favorites were the Bogner Uberschall and Mesa Dual Rec preamp Sims. And yes, it can be battery powered.

My demo:

4. USMarine75

USMarine75 Plays Authentic ® Contributor

The trifecta. I wish the CAA Fortis was available in US. Its from Italy and there seems to be none around. I got lucky and snagged a demo one. They'd sell a lot if they had a US reseller.

5. Jacksonluvr636

Jacksonluvr636 SS.org Regular

A bit late but the Tightmetal Pro is absolutely the best I have tried. Although I have not tried the Ceres yet.

I will say I used into an FX loop and not in front so I am unsure how it would do there.

6. Deadpool_25

Deadpool_25 SS.org Regular

Had one. Sold it. Wasn’t horrible but I finally accepted that I hate menu diving.

littlebadboy likes this.
  7. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

8. Spinedriver

Yeah, Excane does some pretty thorough demos. If you're ever looking for a high gain distortion pedal, his channel is a pretty good place to start. Only downside is that he seems to have slowed down as of late, so there aren't very many new ones.

9. HeHasTheJazzHands

His tones have been a bit hit or miss for me, but this is the first video of his that made me need to buy that pedal right now. It sounds like an even more evil version of the MI Delta.

10. littlebadboy

littlebadboy SS.org Regular

Well... To be frank... I have no idea how to do anything on the device itself! I felt like I needed a degree to make my tones! But when I connected it to the computer, it made sense. You get to choose effects and preamps, put them in your desired order, set your tones on each effect, choose a cabinet, mic, and placement if you wish, and voila... save it as a patch!

11. vick1000

vick1000 SS.org Regular

Amptweaker Tightmetal Jr.

12. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire jUsT bUy A 5150

does not compute. the MI delta is ridiculously brutal, it'd be very hard to top it.

13. cGoEcYk

cGoEcYk SS.org Regular

Favorite or best? Best is MT-2, favourite is ISP Theta.

14. HeHasTheJazzHands

I guess it's a question of who's more brutal and evil; Satan himself or Cthulu. :lol:
    The ISP kicks major ass too, but it's more of a preamp. I always wanted to get the rackmount pre or the actual head to get the most out of the cleans.

15. Luafcm

Luafcm SS.org Regular

I like to use a MT2 with the settings dialed back and boost it with a SD1. More control of the gain and noise that way. A very angry driver indeed.

16. Kaura

Kaura communism is alive

Does anyone have any experience with the new Fender pedals? I'm thinking of picking up either the Full Moon or Pugilist distortion in the near future.

17. Spinedriver

From the sounds of it, I'd say the secret is in the "Deep Master" knob. It's kinda like the "Deep" button on an Ampeg SVT or Mesa Carbine. As it gets turned up, it seems to add some pretty hefty low end without making it boomy or mushy.