Favorite Distortion Pedal For Metal?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Deadpool_25, Jun 3, 2019.

1. Vostre Roy

Vostre Roy Disciple of Djod

Cheers, first time I hear of someone else with an experience with this pedal when I bring it up ahah

Indeed, anyway they might be hard to find those days, but if you ever find one for a decent price, its an awesome tool of mass auditive destruction

Luafcm likes this.
  2. ATRguitar91

ATRguitar91 SS.org Regular

I'm an outlier here, but I greatly prefer my Tight Metal over the Megalith Delta. I'd take the Theta and Empress Heavy over it as well.

Granted, I think something is faulty with my Delta because there's a volume drop when I move the EQ switch to 2, but the center and 1 position sound good.

3. Deadpool_25

Deadpool_25 SS.org Regular

Oops. I said I’d post a rig pic so here’s my main rig’s mini-me.

[​IMG]

XPT707FX, MoJoToJo and USMarine75 like this.
  4. USMarine75

USMarine75 Plays Authentic ® Contributor

Nice and clean. :yesway:

XPT707FX and Deadpool_25 like this.
  5. MAJ Meadows SF

MAJ Meadows SF on a tone quest

your front yard, staring into your window
    Man this is hard because everything I have is AC based. Unless the Revv G3 or G4 take a battery, and they are way up on the awesome sauce list.

All the Waza mod Boss pedals sound really good. it is the old Keeley Mod basically (or exactly), but they are cleaned up a bit. I'll also through in a vote for the Tight Metal and Fat Metal, because they are filthy as shit. If you like major ODSM riffage, the Fat Metal is awesome. Tight Metal hits all the modern metal needs extremely well.

The BE-OD and Deluxe are sensational through the right amp and clean channel (best in Marshalls and Marshall clones, IMO).

USMarine75 and Deadpool_25 like this.
  6. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

I forgot to say that @KnightBrolaire can tell you more about the Megalith Delta pedal

7. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Photobucket=shit

It's a really cool pedal if you want higher gain tones. It can be run off 9v batteries or 9v power supplies. It can recreate a ton of different sounds depending on how you dial it in (the contour knob and the mid switch make huge differences). I mostly dialed mine in for tight and cutting modern tones but it's great for thicker, looser sounds as well. The fizz in certain clips was more due to my IR choice than the pedal.
    Here's some clips I made a while ago:
    https://app.box.com/s/l1eqgalgemuo56a9kla9l1aqvznr3hzy
    https://app.box.com/s/ffeht9uw9kweidpp8w20ae9vv1dmwmun
    https://www.mediafire.com/file/qbplfwr8nqqurby/distortionclips.zip/file

8. Deadpool_25

Deadpool_25 SS.org Regular

Yeah, I like it. I was juuuuust about to buy it but somehow talked myself into just sticking with the P2 I already have. I'm not sure how I managed to avoid buying another pedal...that's so unlike me lol

Spinedriver likes this.
  9. HeHasTheJazzHands

FWIW he said he liked it mroe than the P2 in another thread. :lol: That's why I considered it because I looove the P2.

10. ATRguitar91

I had the P1 before I got the Tight Metal Pro and Megalith Delta. I would definitely them both ahead of the P1 pretty easily.

11. Spinedriver

Spinedriver SS.org Regular

I do the same thing all the time. I see a thread on here about whichever new pedal is coming along or (like this one) where someone asks for a recommend and I just start looking but rarely end up pulling the trigger. Mainly because I'll just start futzing around with the ones I already have and end up 'fixing' what I wasn't liking about them.
    Case in point: I currently have an MXR 5150 and Bogner Red pedal and when going direct into an IR loader, (in my opinion) are kind of lackluster. They generally sound better running into a 'clean amp' on the Pod or GSP but then it's a matter of finding which one. Just the other day however, for whatever reason, I pulled up the "pre-amp" menu of the Pod X3 and tried running the pedals through that to see what it would sound like and all of a sudden, they start sounding like I imagined they could. So rather than dropping another $300 + dollars on a Diezel pedal or Empress Heavy, with a little tweaking I breathed new life into pedals I was half thinking of putting on a shelf & replacing with something else.

So yeah, it sounds like you already have quite a collection of pedals yourself. Sometimes just hooking up an eq pedal after one is all you'd need for it to be exactly what you're looking for. That & it's a lot cheaper than dropping a couple hundred on a pedal and just end up flipping it a month later because it ends up sounding exactly like what you already have (or worse).

Deadpool_25 likes this.
  12. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Photobucket=shit

I never had the P2, I had the R2 and VT drive. The R2 sucked dick compared to the delta.
    @USMarine75 is way more of a pedal whore than I am, so he could fill you in more about the Delta and how it compares to other distortions.

13. gunch

gunch chungus

I want to like the leqtique stuff (9/9, 10/10 11/11) but demos of them are really not what I'm interested in

I think the current kings are the Revv G3 and G4, KSR Ceres (a cheaper less space-shippy Ares pedal for ~$200 would have been dope, Kyle) BE-OD and the Megalith Delta

Luafcm and Deadpool_25 like this.
  14. kleinenenten

kleinenenten Member

For me, the best one that meets the criteria is the TightMetal Pro.

My absolute favorite, though, is the Rivera Metal Shaman.

I pretty much only use SS amps on clean channels, and these are both fantastic for metal tones.

15. axxessdenied

axxessdenied Arium Addict

I have this old Zoom Tri-metal TM-01 pedal that was built in Japan. It's probably one of the beefiest enclosures I've ever held (I could bash a skull in and this thing wouldn't skip a beat) and it sounds pretty cool direct into the interface with wos. I should do a demo!

16. ATRguitar91

I've had my eye on a Metal Shaman for a while but it's hard to get much info on them. Could you compare it to the TMP or just give your general thoughts?

The few videos I've seen sound mean.

17. Spinedriver

Honestly, I think the Metal Shaman may have been discontinued. The store that carried them up here in Canada has it listed as "no longer available" on their site, so it could be a bit tricky to track one down.

That being said, I just picked up a Megalith Delta this week (largely in part to the suggestions here) and I can confirm that it is indeed a BEAST. It even has an internal trim pot just in case you want to dial back on the gain a little bit. I don't know how readily available those are either (I got mine at a local pawn shop) but if you do happen across one, I'd definitely recommend trying it out.

Comparison wise, I'd say that it's not that far off from the MXR 5150 but it has a lot more gain and the eq of the Delta is a lot more responsive. If you tweak them though, you probably could get them to sound very much alike.

18. HeHasTheJazzHands

The main problem i had with the MXR is that it seemed really amp dependant and of course the EQ wasn't very responsive. Sounds cool if the Delta has the same vibe with a better EQ

Spinedriver likes this.
  19. USMarine75

USMarine75 Plays Authentic ® Contributor

I have the 9/9 and 10/10. Fantastic pedals. The 10/10 reminds me of a Mesa type (or Engl Powerball?) with that big bottom end focused type of dirt. It's very smooth... good for those that dont like 5150 raspy/throaty (can of bees?) type dirt. The 9/9 has less gain and more midrange (rumor has it the Leqtique version is better than the L' effect mini 9/9, but 10/10 is identical). 10/10 is better for ultra high gain stuff, whereas 9/9 is better for being able to clean up as well. 9/9 kind of sounds like a hotrodded Soldano to me. Like the 10/10 but just less all around, but most noticeably in the bass area.

Exactly this. The MXR is another must have, but the Delta is on a whole 'nother level. Most pedals are really amp dependent or sound how they sound with a basic EQ stack for tweaking. The Delta has 3 stages of EQ tweaking which is why it plays so well with all amps and why it prob has a tone everyone can love IMO. Master setting with neutral, mid pushed (5150, Marshall, etc), or bass pushed (Mesa, Diezel). Then you have the contour knob to dial in where the mids are focused, but it also rolls of bass and treble depending on setting. And then the active EQ.

Sorry just saw this lol. Yeah I really like all of the AMT stuff, especially the 3 you mentioned. I think the P2 is one of the top gold standard dirt pedals ever made. I actually prefer the drive mini right now just because of the mid-focus switch and small footprint, especially if/when I dont need all the features of a preamp.

With that said, I think the Megalith Delta is one of the best high gain metal pedals out there. I love the whole design of the pedal, in the sense that it has ridiculously wide tonal controls to help you dial in your tone no matter what rig you're using. Most pedals end up amp dependent because they dont have this (or not to this level). And the tones you get are crushing and truly sound amp like IMO. Whereas some like the Le Lead sounded so artificial. The built in boost I liked too, because it's designed right for this pedal. It's not a lead volume boost (post dirt), it's specifically for tighter rhythm (pre) like most around these parts would want. And when I've demoed it for friends I find they might not like the master EQ preset (0,1,2) that I prefer, but then I flip it to a different one and it's what they prefer... so I think this kind of design is more apt to please a larger group of buyers? Think AMT... some love the P2, and some he R2, etc... this would be like being able to flip a switch and choose which flavor of amp you like first, then dial in from there.

I'd say only the Tight Metal, G4, Ceres, and CAA Fortis High Drive are in the same ball park right now. But IMO that wide palette puts it over the top, other than the Ceres which I haven't been able to A/B yet. (Maybe I'm missing some but off the top of my head...)

Bonus mention - the Emma Pisdiyauwot is incredible at getting the Feared type of tone. It doesn't do much else. But I haven't heard anything so clear and tight in Drop-G (used Mayones 7 with BKP Impulses).

Deadpool_25, gunch and Spinedriver like this.
  20. Spinedriver

You're not far off. When I use mine direct, it sounds a lot better running through a 'pre amp' sim on my Pod X3 than it does going straight into an IR. With the Megalith, you can dial in a LOT more high end so that a pre amp isn't really necessary but it still sounds better. I made a couple of quick samples & you can tell the MXR is a lot darker.

https://soundcloud.com/voss451/5150-ir6
    note: the gain on the MXR is pretty much maxed out w/ boost on.

https://soundcloud.com/voss451/megalith-ir6
    note: the gain on the Megalith is just between 1 & 2 o'clock w/boost on.

It's also worthy of note that the Megalith pedal also has a 3 way switch that progressively scoops out the mids. I have it in the middle position in the clip.

USMarine75 likes this.