Favorite Distortion Pedal For Metal?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Deadpool_25, Jun 3, 2019.

1. Luafcm

Luafcm SS.org Regular

Boss ST-2 power stack is a hidden gem. Push the dist to the ultra side and hit it with a bass cut OD and it is tight and sounds right. (I used this with a solid state head(jc120h) set flat and clean into a 4x12 cab(1960a 75t)

My fav dirt pedal setup is the MT-2W + SD1 + NS2 (all boss pedals).

XPT707FX likes this.
  2. Deadpool_25

Deadpool_25 SS.org Regular

[​IMG]

devastone, Spinedriver and rexbinary like this.
  3. Fred the Shred

Fred the Shred Shrederick

Revv G3 is the one the instantly springs to mind in that regard. It's amazing, really.

4. Deadpool_25

Although I’ve now pretty much settled on using my AMT P2, while I was looking around locally I was definitely thinking I was going to buy a MT-2 just for fun if I saw a used one. Sometimes I see the waza version. I’m not sure what the difference is though.

5. Deadpool_25

Yeah that was a good pedal. I had it for a while and sold it after shooting it out against my other pedals. It was excellent though. The shootout definitely reinforced how differently pedals work depending on the amp and setup (as preamps vs in front).

6. Luafcm

Luafcm SS.org Regular

My 10yo put it very eloquently while I was A/Bing the MT2 and MT2w. He says that the MT2w sounds less buzzy and fizzy. Indeed it does! Throwing the switch to custom mode on the MT2w makes it sound like the bees are gone. It's got a nice feel with very low tunings, it has a rattle to it that sounds menacing. It's a great pedal if you can give it a demo, but not cheap for a Boss dirt.

Deadpool_25 likes this.
  7. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

I have the Waza MT2, and also an original, but I’ve done a bunch of mods to the original so it’s not really a fair comparison anymore. I just assume the ‘standard’ mode of the Waza sounds like classic MT2.

“Removes the bees” is a good description of the custom mode. If you get used to playing on the custom mode then flip to standard, the sound suddenly has a bunch of spikes in gross frequencies.

The midrange is also more ‘modern’ sounding, not sure how to describe it. ola’s demo was good.

At the end of the day, even in custom mode, it’s still a metalzone so keep that in mind.

XPT707FX, Deadpool_25 and Luafcm like this.
  8. Fred the Shred

Fred the Shred Shrederick

It's a mix and match kind of affair for sure, even discounting the different traits we'll be after as individual tastes differ. The P2 has always been one of my lifesaving preamp in loop kind of affairs, but using it as a drive is so unpredictable when you aren't sure which amp you'll get that you can think of it as either awesome or utter wank through no fault of the pedal itself. Some units really elicit one of those "love / hate" affairs from preamp sections.

Deadpool_25 likes this.
  9. MASS DEFECT

MASS DEFECT SS.ORG Infiltrator

Ola has a Boss Metalcore demo up. Sounds pretty nice. I didn't expect it to sound that well.

10. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

If Line 6 wasn't releasing the Revv models in upcoming patches, I would be going with that. Although they're releasing the red channel first, even though I want the purple. :(

Oh well, has anyone brought up the MI Audio Delta?

Deadpool_25 likes this.
  11. Vostre Roy

Vostre Roy Disciple of Djod

For me: The Landmine LD-1 distortion pedal

Back when I started playing in a band, I was using a Fender FM212 combo amp which had a very bad overdrive channel for metal (not a shocker right? I was young and clueless back then). Since I didn't had money for a new amp, I decided to get myself a distortion pedal to have a decent sound. Ended up buying a Landmine LD-1 distortion pedal, very little known as it was build by a guy in Canada for a very limited time.

Can't say I have a lot of experience with distortion pedals (as soon as I got myself a decent amp, this pedal was sent to retirement). But last year, nearly 10 years since I've last used it, I decided to give it a try again. Its very hard to dial in as there is no control for gain at all (its internally set to 11 I assume) and the EQ is active and very responsive. But once its dialed right, damn it can get some freaking good tones out of it, especially through my Ceriatone HRM100 with the Pre-Amp Booster on.

Deadpool_25 and Luafcm like this.
  12. Empty666Mirror

Empty666Mirror SS.org Regular

I can't believe hat those haven't been mentioned yet:
    Fortin 33
    Fortin Blade

I've used an Horizon Devices Precision Drive before I switched to the 33 and there's no coming back from here. It sounds insane without altering the amp's own character. It just adds clean distortion without any unwanted extra noise.
    Before the Precision Drive I've used:
    Boss OD-3
    Boss Metal Zone (lol)
    Maxon OD808
    Ibanez TS808
    Protone Dead Horse
    Protone Bulb Deluxe

If you've got the cash go for a Fortin. You won't regret it. There's a reason why the 33 got sold second hand for double the retail price while it was not in stock.

Luafcm likes this.
  13. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

I think the OP is looking for distortion pedals, not boosts and ODs. He won’t be getting any distortion from the amp at all. Whatever he feeds the amp will be fed into the clean channel.

XPT707FX, devastone and Deadpool_25 like this.
  14. Luafcm

Luafcm SS.org Regular

+1...

This is an amazing sounding pedal for sure. I sold one, wish I had it back. I got great metal tones out of a JC120 with one. I sold it to a friend (who also was wowed by the tones).

I think because $$$. Fortin is like $250 per knob on a pedal, and they don't sell distortion pedals.

Vostre Roy likes this.
  15. Spinedriver

Spinedriver SS.org Regular

I think I remember reading somewhere that the "Waza" mode is loosely based on the original "Keeley Mod" that was pretty popular for a hot minute.

As for pedal mentions, the Bogner Ecstacy Red is pretty decent going through a clean amp channel and they've recently put out a smaller cheaper version (it doesn't have a built in boost).

16. Deadpool_25

@Bearitone You got it right. Looking at distortion pedals where they’ll turn the clean channel into a metal beast. Or at least do well enough—this IS gonna be the B rig after all. ;)

@MASS DEFECT I will check that out. Is that an older pedal? Feel like I’ve heard that name before.

Edit: Just watching @Ola Englund video on the Metal Core. He’s right. It chugs.

@Vostre Roy @Luafcm I will look into that. Again, I *think* I’m set with the P2 but it’s not like you can have too many pedals...

@HeHasTheJazzHands Hmmm. Never heard of that one. I’ll check it out.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
    Luafcm and Vostre Roy like this.
  17. Deadpool_25

Damn. Just based on Brett Kingman’s video that thing sounds badass.

18. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Y
    Yeah, it sounds almost exactly like the real thing. It kinda reminds me of an SLO or a early-revision 1992 - 1993 Dual Recto.

Deadpool_25 likes this.
  19. Deadpool_25

Yeah on about my 3rd video of this pedal. Sounds quite amp-like. I dig it.

20. Vostre Roy

Vostre Roy Disciple of Djod

Cheers, first time I hear of someone else with an experience with this pedal when I bring it up ahah

Indeed, anyway they might be hard to find those days, but if you ever find one for a decent price, its an awesome tool of mass auditive destruction

Deadpool_25 likes this.