Favorite amp sims and cab impulses?

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by vejichan, Dec 29, 2015.

1. vejichan

vejichan SS.org Regular

So there are tons of options now...which ones do u keep coming back to?

2. Drezik27

Drezik27 SS.org Regular

Still using Revalver as my main, so versatile. Sometimes I disable the cab in Revalver and use some impulses from the Bulb pack in cab lab though.

However I did come across a few EZ Mix tones I really like in the Guitar Gods 2 pack.

3. Hachetjoel

Hachetjoel Ibanez whore Contributor

Not Bias!

4. Masoo2

Masoo2 SS.org Regular

POD Farm with external impulses (or a few of the stock 4x12s, they work pretty decently)

TSE X50

Ignite Amps SHB-1 (bass)

Those are the main amp sims I use, though I occasionally use Cubase's VST Amp Rack too. I sometimes jam around with Amplitube and Toneforge too. However, I steer clear from Bias and Guitar Rig. Never liked those two.

One that seems promising is the Tube Amp Ultra 530 by Mercuriall.

Cab IRs //

FrankTheSmith cabs (Search him on YouTube, nice stuff)

Catharsis Impulses (s-preshigh or go home)

TSE X50 stock impulses (Quite a few good ones, Brian Hood's TSE X50 tone video showcases a few nice ones)

Telos Mini free IR pack

The Sperimental pack

A collection of bass cabs I found somewhere (Ampeg VL-1002, Ampeg SVT-810E, Eden 4x10 XLT)

Really want to give the bulb cab packs from Fractal Audio a test.

5. sevenstringj

sevenstringj Banned

EZMix, believe it or not. I like that you not only get a convincing amp sound, but it sits nicely in the mix right off the bat. When using my own amp, Two-Notes Wall of Sound for cab sim.

6. Masoo2

Masoo2 SS.org Regular

EZMix is actually pretty decent for tones, but I often find myself having to use other plugins to get a usable tone (hard gate, maybe an overdrive and a compressor, etc...) that I don't need for other plugins.

However, it has a really nice variety of tones. Some of the best tones in it are the TesseracT-esque clean tones (ie: Wide Clean, Compressed Clean, etc... I think those are the names).

Really good for djenty cleans.

7. vejichan

vejichan SS.org Regular

My go to amp sims are still lepou lextac and lepou lecto with the almighty catharsis s preshigh and s pres8

Noticed alot of positive grid bias fans...I personally think it's alittle overpriced for the desktop versions. I have the ios versions...bought them really cheap last year for bias, jamup, bias fx and final touch. I think the tones for the ios versions are great for the price and offers more options as well.

8. Kylezan

Kylezan SS.org Regular

TSE x50

Catharsis impulses

These are the two things I find myself using all the time.

I'll track with podfarm mostly, but have actually been using it for bass tone as of late.

If I'm not using my kemper or a real amp on a mix then it's mostly TSE x50

9. Spinedriver

Spinedriver SS.org Regular

My go-to IRs are in the Guitar Hacks pack. I have 10 of them loaded into my GSP1101 and it's pretty much all I need. I've messed around with the LePou stuff as well as ReValver and Guitar Rig, etc.. but the JJ Power Tube IRs are hands down the best I've come across.

I have used a few of the Catharsis IRs in the past and they are good but the GH ones seem to sound better with the GSP.

10. vejichan

vejichan SS.org Regular

Which ones are you talking about specifically?

11. pattonfreak1

pattonfreak1 Bored Member

PODFarm2 gate>tube screamer into Mercuriall u530 with some Frozen Sun Audio impulses I found around here awhile back

12. Spinedriver

Spinedriver SS.org Regular

Here's a link to the files: http://relivethefuture.com/music/patches/GuitarHacksImpulses.rar

To be more specific, the folder marked: "Louder JJ Powertube Impulses Full Set Straight" has the ones I use the most. I primarily use the "Between.." impulses but which one varies depending on the amp I'm using. For some, "Between 1andhalf" is really good but for others "Between-half" or "Between-1" is a little better. I've also had good results with a few of the "Center" ones as well but mainly from that one folder.

13. vertibration

vertibration SS.org Regular

Mercuriall u530 all the way. Hands down, best amp sim to date IMO. I play mostly high gain stuff, metal, djent, that sort of thing. Bias FX with a whole lot of tweeking and Bias Amp with amp match can get you some very usable tones, but right off the bat the u530 sounds the most responsive. Next is EZMix2. It is extremely accurate, but lacks low end, and punch. I like the Misha Mansoor presets and Meshuggah presets in Guitar Gods, but who wants to sound exactly like someone else?

Recabinet is great, but lacks a lot of features. The new update promises those features, and will be releasing in January. Recabinet V5

All in all, the u530 to me sounds the most bad ass and incredibly accurate to the Engl preamp it emulates. The GUI looks legit, and you can turn off the cabinet if you want to use IR's. Those guys also said they are working on some more plug ins, and I am sure that they will be killer in 2016

14. pastanator

pastanator electronic musician

I downloaded the guitar hacks stuff a while ago, just got around to trying them like two days ago and fell in love with the Fredman Straight and Fredman Angled impulses. Running both impulses on each track using the dual rec head from pod hd300 sounds massive

15. isispelican

isispelican SS.org Regular

Tse x50 and Emissary are the amps I use the most, great plugins!

16. Spectre 1

Spectre 1 SS.org Regular

Real pedals into Amplitube 4.

17. vejichan

vejichan SS.org Regular

I have amplitube 3 with almost all the gear unlocked.. is amplitube 4 much better?

18. Spectre 1

Spectre 1 SS.org Regular

I really like the new Marshalls, but mostly I use the Mesa pack for lead tones so you dont really need to upgrade. Oh how can I forget to mention TSE X50!