Favored Infrequent String Change Brand/Model These Days

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by Adieu, Oct 11, 2019 at 1:05 PM.

1. Adieu

Adieu SS.org Regular

What's the people's choice in 2019? Kept hearing things like some brands declining, other brands changing formulas or something, plus there seems to be all these newer subbrands coming out

And most info seems dated or from noobs and/or "I've been using them since 1975"-type conservatives, who really wouldn't know on account of never trying anything else...

PS never mind the gauge, just what brand and subbrand/model lasts well and plays good. Not rotting or going dead quickly a top priority. For 6 string sets thx.

2. stevexc

stevexc Contributor

I've been happy with NYXLs. I change strings every couple months at this point since I'm not actively jamming on guitar. Little pricy but they seem to last, tonally speaking.

3. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

In my experience, best tone, quality, and longevity (I don't really like coated strings all that much) are D'addario NYXL's. If you don't want to pay that much for strings then the regular D'addario's (EXL's) can't really be beaten.

cwhitey2, couverdure and gunshow86de like this.
  4. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

I wasn't overly impressed with the NYXL's for logevity - maybe a little better than regular DAddarios, but they don't really compare to coated strings.

I've been an Elixir Nanoweb user for a LONG time. The DAddario EXPs are very good, and IMO are a hair more natural sounding, especially for acoustic, than the Nanowebs, but they also feel more like uncoated strings and have a little more finger noise for it, and I'm just more used to the feel of Nanowebs. They were great though, and while I periodically go back and forth on acoustic I have mostly switched over on bass. The new Optiwebs are great too, a hair more natural sounding but a hair shorter lived than Nanowebs, but they don't seem quite as susceptable to finger noise. They sell a seven string set with a heavy enough low B for me to be fine with out of the bag ('ve been using Nanoweb 10s with a 64, I think, bass Nanoweb string) but I grabbed a bunch of Optiwebs with a 59 low B that as long as I'm still comfortable with them when I run out (I actually haven't thrown a set on yet, so I've only used 6 string Optiwebs so far, though my Suhr 7 is about due for a new set so any day now - the Nanowebs on it are probably more than a year old and still sound decent) I'll probably switch over there.

tl;dr - Elixir Nanoweb or Optiweb are still the standard to beat, but DAddario's EXPs are worth at least trying (they're cheaper, too), to see if you get on with them better.

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  5. Nlelith

Nlelith Motion Designer

D'addario EXL wound strings + Elixir coated plains for me.

6. Adieu

Adieu SS.org Regular

Interesting... what's the reasoning there?

7. efiltsohg

efiltsohg SS.org Regular

Nanowebs.

I still like DR Tite-fits and Pure Blues too but they don't last as long

Daddario string have always sounded awful to me, very harsh overtones

8. Adieu

Adieu SS.org Regular

Anyone try the GHS David Gilmours? Any good?

The price, gauges, and airless individual packaging seem quite interesting.

Or are they a bad fit tonally for metal genres?

9. Kaura

Kaura Squier 4 lyfe

NYXL ftw. Just yesterday I realised I haven't had to tune my Squier in at least a week (apart from some very minor fine-tuning on the high-e string) despite it being just a few degrees above freezing point here and I've been keeping the window open so the room temperature is constantly changing.

10. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Pickup hoarder

D'addario NYXL are pretty good in terms of longevity. Same with LaBella.
    Stay away from ernie ball/GHS/rogue. They wear out quite quickly ime

11. Metropolis

Metropolis SS.org Regular

D'addario EXL's have really good tone/price/longevity ratio also in my opinion. Bit harsh and bright when new, but it gets tamed in couple of playing hours. Which I mainly dislike are Ernie Ball, GHS and DR.

12. gunshow86de

gunshow86de Beef Jerky Time

I'll second (or third, or fourth) the NYXL endorsement.

13. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Though, for the OP... Are you looking for coated string recommendations, or the most long-lasting conventional string? I assumed coated in my response, and honestly I haven't played a single "conventional" string - even the NYXLs getting so much love here - that can hold a candle to coated strings as far as "sounding like new strings for a long time" goes. I focused on coated strings for that reason, but if for whatever reason you're not interested in a coated string, then my thoughts probably aren't a ton of help.

For me, I have maybe 5-6 guitars in fairly heavy rotation, so I want strings that can hold up to heavy playing, but also won't corrode if I let them sit for a few weeks. That pretty much means coated. Your needs may be different though.

14. Adieu

Adieu SS.org Regular

I have no experience with coated

15. stevexc

stevexc Contributor

TBH I haven't tried coated strings on electric in years due to previous bad experiences, but lately I've been stringing my acoustic with Elixirs and I have no complaints, other than a limited selection of gauges compared to other brands (but still doable).

16. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

If you want longevity then coated strings are probably your best bet. There are potential downsides to coated strings (expensive, coating can chip off in places--although if you get D'addario and Elixir it's less likely to happen--and it alters the tone).

D'addario make EXP coated strings and recently released the XT micro-coated strings. Essentially, EXP coateds are regular D'addario strings (EXL's) with coating, while the XT's are the NYXL strings with 'micro-coating'.

Elixir's are also great coated strings.

If you are open to coated strings then definitely give them a try (especially D'addario EXP's, D'addario XT's, or Elixir's).

17. High Plains Drifter

High Plains Drifter SS.org Regular

NYXL unless I'm strapped for cash and have to go for something cheaper.

Fwiw... I absolutely could not say for sure what brand of strings are on ANY of my guitars nor could I identify them by touch. Maybe if all my string sets were brand new at the same time but after a couple weeks I generally can't tell.

18. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Oh man, in that case, absolutely grab a set of Elixir Nanowebs. They sound 99%+ as "fresh" as new-out-of-the-box strings, stay that way for months, don't rust, and while "feel" is subjective I like how they're very slightly smoother under your fingers and generate less string noise than conventional strings.

Adieu likes this.
  19. jaxadam

jaxadam SS.org Regular

+1

20. axxessdenied

axxessdenied Arium Addict

Elixir Optiwebs are great. You can order custom packs of elixirs now as well.