Fast Guitars Orion 9 Run 2018

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by summit101, Jun 14, 2018.

1. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

Some due has a few demo vids with a Schecter C9 Hellraiser that are pretty cool.

2. AxeHappy

AxeHappy SS.org Regular

If I was gonna 9 string it would be Low B to High A (or rather something like that but tuned down a whole step to so I wouldn't constantly be snapping the High string) so I was hoping mostly for a more extreme fan. But likely shorter or perhaps two scale choices.

IGC likes this.
  3. summit101

summit101 SS.org Regular

You probably just dont like his tone. Lots of high end in the original recording also.

4. Dcm81

Dcm81 SS.org Regular

A couple strips of plastic as laminates in a neck aren't going to reduce the weight by any substantial amount.........sounds like a troll.

5. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Why is everyone so hasty to say that they know which materials are used in the construction of the bridge and neck laminates? All we have to go on is visuals, and I can honestly say that it's only safe to assume that a partially translucent white material is very likely not conductive (the optical properties of materials is very closely related to the electrical properties - conductors reflect light whilst insulators transmit light), and that a long continuous piece of totally opaque black material is likely not made from exactly the same stuff as a small piece of partially translucent white material. I really don't think either of those statements are at all a stretch...

But whatever, cool guitar!

AxeHappy likes this.
  6. bostjan

Just confirmed with Fast guitars:

The bridge on Andrew's 9 string is just garden-variety white plastic (polyethylene) by Andrew's own request. Graphtec is not willing to provide a blank of Tusq nor Nubone large enough to route this sort of bridge. The neck laminates are Richlite (recycled paper phenolic). The saddles are Graphtec String Savers (carbon-laced boron polytrinate). The bridge is not conductive, nor is it anything Graphtec ever touched. Three totally different materials.

So, in other words, my correspondence with Fast provided information contrary to basically everything in this thread.

7. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

I hear plastic isn't suitable for guitars a lot but if it can handle the tension of 9 strings then it certainly is. Another plus apart from matching the hardware colour is you could easily do custom angles with a CnC then.

AxeHappy likes this.
  8. Fast Guitars

Fast Guitars build it

9. bostjan

First, kudos for making such a gorgeous instrument! I, for one, am intrigued by the unorthodox design and alternative materials. I love that the designs of your guitars generally challenge a lot of guitar-building myths in subtle ways.

:yesway:

I know with the EMG's, there's no need for a ground wire for the electronics on the guitar, but that completely settles the passive pickup aspect of it. Seeing no ball ends on the back of the bridge made me assume it was strings-through-body, so I had no structural concerns about the material, but I still didn't know about grounding until now.

Is the plastic bridge base something you offer in your general builds? If so, are other colours available? I think it'd be nice for everyone to know, since I can see that being a nice personalization added to custom builds. For example, if I wanted to get a similar build to the guitar pictured in the OP, but with Yellow or Green knobs and a matching bridge, is that something that would be possible?

AxeHappy likes this.
  10. Fast Guitars

Fast Guitars build it

Thanks man! Appreciate the appreciation.

You're right - no ground wire needed for EMG's but we still ground them all the same. It doesnt take much, and it could potentially save headaches down the road if the customer changes to passives or even different actives. I've done some actives that howled without string grounding.

All of our non-trem, non-headless guitars ship with the black composite bridges and have for quite a while. The white on the 9-string was an attempt to see how different color bridges would work out. It's just a matter of sourcing appropriate material, but bridges in many colors should be easily do-able!

AxeHappy and bostjan like this.
  11. I play music

I play music SS.org Regular

Maybe. I also can't stand most of those annoying Youtube/Instagram/... influencers so chances are I was already annoyed by the video before he even started playing.
    Seeing the word "INSANE" in capital letters in the title already should have been warning enough for me to know I should not watch that video :lol:

12. OliOliver

OliOliver SS.org Regular

I've never thought about this until now.... But as this bridge is plastic, and the saddles aren't metal either, there must be no need to ground the bridge?

EDIT: Just read the responses after this and found out you don't. Interesting stuff!

13. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

I'd be worried about gouging the plastic with the screws that lift the bridge saddles.

14. bostjan

The same thought occurred to me. I think that polyethylene ought to be scratch resistant enough to hold up to any normal amount of use, but I'm sure you could figure out a way to mess it up it if you tried. I think the same could be said for a lot of materials we use. I mean, acoustic guitars use wooden bridges. Wood is more fragile than PE, especially high density PE.

15. Fast Guitars

Fast Guitars build it

The white bridge is not Polyethelyne. I have yet to commit to any certain material on non-black bridges.

The saddle screw adjustment screws would only ever travel across the surface when the intonation is being adjusted and that really shouldn't happen a whole lot. At this amount of movement, I'd be more concerned about black / chrome or gold plating being scratched from a metal bridge.

16. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

Or if you're adjusting string height at tension. I guess if the material is hard enough it doesn't matter. I do really like the look of that guitar. I'd love something with that aesthetic visually, but headless, with 10 strings, and 28"-31" fan, lol.