Fast Guitars Orion 9 Run 2018

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by summit101, Jun 14, 2018.

1. summit101

summit101 SS.org Regular

2. Dcm81

Dcm81 SS.org Regular

2 questions:
    Is that bridge base made of metal? In the pic it looks like some kind of plastic.
    What are those 2 holes in the 21st fret?

3. I play music

I play music SS.org Regular

Looks like truss rod access to me. Wonder if its a disadvantage if the truss rod doesn't go until the last fret.

Dcm81 likes this.
  4. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

Truss rod does nothing over the area the neck is bolted to the body. It ain’t moving the heel. So it shouldn’t matter that it ends a bit early.

AxeHappy and I play music like this.
  5. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Frank Hartung does similar.

There's no advantage having the truss rod adjustment at the last fret, or having the truss rod adjustment point so close to the body-end of the neck.

The neck typically flexes the most between the 5th and 12th frets, so it's better to have the rod correct that area.

AxeHappy and I play music like this.
  6. summit101

summit101 SS.org Regular

Appearently the bridge is made of the same material as graphtech? But it’s Fast’s own design. Andrew Baena of galactic Pegasus says it holds no disadvantage for stability. And it makes sense if the saddles and nut are made of the same material although there’s no string wear on the bridge plate.
    Edit: this is Andrews custom guitar they want to make for the run.

7. I play music

I play music SS.org Regular

Galactic Pegasus? :lol: Band names these days :lol:

8. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

Thats a really pretty guitar. I don't think I can do another 9 string with a full-size headstock, though. Neck dive is real!

9. MaxOfMetal

I think you'd be surprised just how little headstock size matters, within reason.

Tuners will make up most of the weight at the headstock.

AxeHappy likes this.
  10. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire only pointy guitars remain

i'm still kicking myself about not getting in on the jazzmaster run :(

11. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

I guess that's what I mean, anything with 9+ tuners on it is going to be pretty heavy, so unless the upper horn reaches all the way to the like the 9-10 fret, its going to wanna tilt down.

12. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

The white bridge is a cool way of matching the hardware.

Space Horse must have been taken.

Edika, jemfloral, Nlelith and 3 others like this.
  13. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

That guitar looks literally tasty, like a piece of lemon-lime candy, or maybe I'm just hungry because it's almost lunch time and I had a light dinner yesterday.

Seriously, though, I am intrigued by the bridge. If the owner ever wanted to replace the pickups with passives, I guess they are on the hook to replace the bridge as well, or is there a trick to grounding out the strings?

Also, where did the builder find a piece of Tusq big enough to cut that bridge?

Also, the guitar pictured is stunning. The Jazzmaster-style guitars I've seen before were also stunning, but the white and lighter green is really something...

Geez you guys, even though the prices on their site seem very reasonable, I don't even have the kind of money to look at pictures of these. :lol:

14. MaxOfMetal

The material that GraphTech uses is conductive.

GraphTech will also supply large blanks if needed through thier dealer/wholesaler program for builders.

AxeHappy likes this.
  15. downburst82

downburst82 SS.org Regular

Graphtech and Fast Guitars are both in the Vancouver area so it probably makes it easier to source something like that.

AxeHappy likes this.
  16. bostjan

Not all of Graphtec's materials are conductive. The stringsaver saddles are specifically made to be conductive (500 ohms/cm - which is not really great for a good ground connection, but works for the low currents of an electric guitar), but I don't know which material, specifically, this bridge uses, although it "looks" like Tusq, which is boron polytrinate and teflon. But this could be a specifically conductive material used for bridges, or the guitar's design could be banking on the fact that EMG pickups don't use grounded strings, but rather keep the strings electrically floating.

If this is some sort of new white conductive Graphtec material, then I'd love to give it a try myself. :yesway: If so, do you know what the material is called?

17. MaxOfMetal

I've never had a problem using the conductive String Savers for grounding. I've put them on tons of guitars too. :shrug:

Have you had problems with them?

18. bostjan

No, no, my aside was just for the sake of covering my bases, since a lot of folks here like to point out stuff like that. If I just said that Graphtec String Saver material was conductive, I'd probably get someone saying that they aren't "conductive" by whatever definition that person chose in order to contradict me, so I said that they are conductive, then explained in parenthesis that they aren't actually as good conductors as metal, but that it still works, because the electric guitar is not a high power circuit. I mean, I haven't had problems with the product, but I'm not using it to ground a 3500 kV electrical substation, you know. ;)

I guess I thought being slightly verbose would preempt this sort of misunderstanding, rather than precipitate it. :(

Anyway, I still don't know which material is used for the bridge itself. I love Graphtec's stuff, generally speaking, but, since this isn't something from their website, nor anything I've seen before, I am assuming it's a bridge routed out from one of their nut materials, and none of those have any reason to be specifically made conductive. Something like nubone might be conductive, I really don't know, but since Graphtec's core technology of their other products is boron polytrinate and polytetrafluoroethylene, neither of which is conductive, and the colouration of the String Saver saddles is due to a black material added to the cast to make it conductive, I would find it rather surprising (although not unreasonable) to find out that they had developed a white conductive material without any big announcements through their site.

19. summit101

summit101 SS.org Regular

Check te demo. Andrew says these are lighter then les pauls

20. summit101

summit101 SS.org Regular

Check out the demo of this Orion 9 by Andrew Baena for more insight

AxeHappy and GunpointMetal like this.