Fannedfret Telecaster

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by Bolwede, Nov 26, 2015.

1. Bolwede

Bolwede SS.org Regular

Hi folks!
    this summer I will build my second guitar and I've seen alot how people do scarfjoint fannedfret but mine will be with the regular telecaster/fenderstyle headstock, to get the fretboard not sticking out beyond the nut do I just drumsand the bevel at an angle or is it more complicated? Hope you understand what I mean.

Kind regards
    Patrik

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Mehnike

Mehnike SS.org Peruser

Hi there, lookin good! I don't think you will have an issue as long as you get your angle proper. I'd hog away a good amount first on the spindle sander and then finish off with sandpaper wrapped around a dowel to get it just right. You may also want to consider that Fender guitars generally have a small lip of fretboard showing on the other side of the nut.

3. Thrashmanzac

Thrashmanzac plays in 69/42

just cut the bulk off with a bandsaw/handsaw, then set a guide up on the spindle sander about 1-2mm wider than your final thickness. it should be pretty easy for you to just eyeball the correct angle