Fan fret skepticism

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by DaddleCecapitation, Feb 22, 2013.

1. DaddleCecapitation

DaddleCecapitation Manatees Last Breath

I have never played a fan fret guitar before and was wondering what the people who own them think of them.

Having only watched and heard others play them, I'm not entirely convinced of the benefits of a fan fret guitar. I would also like to hear from fan fret players regarding the ability to bend notes and similar phrasing techniques, because I always imagined that bending and vibrato on a fanned fingerboard would be problematic.

Thanks.

2. devolutionary

devolutionary No longer 7-less

Why would bending be problematic in particular? If anything, once you go past the 90 degree fret, bending becomes accentuated and able to reach higher notes than before on up-bends.

DaddleCecapitation likes this.
  3. skeels

skeels ..to pay the beels

I built a fan fret guitar because I could never find one to try.

Adjusting to it -if you want to call it that- was easy. There was really very little difference in playing or posture. It was subtle but significant.

Tension across the strings was more uniform. The balance was noticeable.
    My fingers fell into place with little effort. Bending and vibrato are not an issue, even with my rather large fan- 25" to 28" on 7 strings.

At the same time, I still feel comfortable on perpendicular frett guitars. I can go back and forth with no difficulty.

I'm planning another fanned build, this time an 8 string. Maybe after a couple more, I'll do another 7 too.

Bottom line? Personal preference, as usual. Everyone has their favorite weapon of choice. Find yours and go forth...

4. redstone

redstone SS.org Regular

First part of the neck favors your up-bends, last part favors your down-bends (assuming that the 0° fret is at the center of the fb).

5. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

Fan frets was a must for me because it was a 9 string with a high string so 29.25 to 24.75 was decided.
    I told myself I'd just have to adapt - I didn't expect it to be easy though I knew I'd love it. Never played one before.

It took no getting used to whatsoever, apart from the very extreme angle of the high frets - only because of lack of fretdots!
    It's incredibly comfortable, and tonally amazing.

I can imagine not all would like such a big fan, but a regular fan should be great.

You say you are not entirely convinced about the benefits. I would simply say - just don't get one unless you are using 8 strings then. It's not really necessary for a 7 (though still hugely beneficial, imo).

It makes sense in theory, and I was expecting to notice something especially considering my fan is twice as extreme as most peoples. I notice no difference whatsoever bending - aside from it being incredibly easy because the fretjob is amazing and the board is flat.

6. ElRay

ElRay Mostly Harmless

I apologize and will stop posting in "that" thread :lol:

Ray

7. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

I understand your skepticism. There are a lot of schools in the West Virginia area and Deep South that are teaching not just the evolution of fanned frets, but the traditional fretted instruments. There is no proof that fanned frets are better, and if the good lord wanted instruments fretted he would have made trees grow slanted. I think schools should teach more traditional fanned fretism. And don't even get me started on that bunk about climate change affecting the wood in a guitar!!!

/troll

8. noise in my mind

noise in my mind SS.org Regular

I have a fanned 8, and it's really easy to play. Bending is easy and stretches are more effortless when going up and down the fingerboard.

9. The Reverend

The Reverend GHETTO KING OF SWAG

From what I gather, the main benefit to fanned fret guitars is the better string tension across the board, as well as slightly better ergonomics and better timbre (from having more appropriate string gauges).

10. Hollowway

Yeah, and for the lower strings you can keep them thinner, and the higher thicker. I personally like that aspect because the higher strings don't sound as brittle and the low strings don't sound as bassy. I personally think the fan is almost mandatory on a 9, and definitely usefull on an 8. The 7s don't make much of a difference to me. I play in standard tuning.

11. Schizo Sapiens

Schizo Sapiens SS.org Regular

Isn't that the other way round? In first positions of fanned-fret guitar, downbend is more desirable, as it makes string shorter as you bend it.

Same thing with 'up the neck positions'' and upbend.

12. redstone

redstone SS.org Regular

Main ergonomic reason : easier to play barre chords without involving a radial deviation of the wrist.

Correct ! I meant up=pull and down=push :lol:

13. Walterson

Walterson SS.org Regular

Just finished my latest FF (25,5-27") ergonomic 7-String build and it rocks. It's set up with EXL 110-7 (.010-.059) and compared to my other 25,5 7-Strings the lower strings sound way better, more defined, better clarity, more attack, more sustain. I think ff is the way to go on 7 Strings too.

Here is a picture, the guitar is not completely done in that pic, but you get the Idea.... there will be a NGD soon.
    [​IMG]

guitareben likes this.
  14. penningmic

penningmic SS.org Regular

How much do these guitars usually run in cost?

15. Hollowway

^ All over the board. You're cheapest option are Agile Pendulums. Check those out on the rondomusic.com site.

16. Given To Fly

Given To Fly SS.org Regular

This is what happens if you mess up on fanned frets:

[​IMG]

17. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

I don't think that anyone has touched on in here yet is that just because an instrument has fanned frets doesn't mean the guitar is instantly better sounding, or more ergonomic/comfortable.

A lot of thought still has to go into the choosing of the scales being used, what the perpendicular fret will be, and all the other aspects of selecting a guitar that will sound and feel right to the player.

Thus, I can see how a lot of players still favor parallel fretted instruments. Just because my AV8 has fanned frets, doesn't mean it's going to do better in every musical context.

From what I've experienced, there are still trade offs, so I'm far from convinced that everything with 7+ strings needs a fanned board. Make the fan too wide, you loose a lot of the ergonomic benefits, same with placing the perpendicular fret in a particular spot. For ideal ergonomics, you need to set the scales at a certain point, which might not be 100% ideal for the desired tuning.

For the record, I LOVE my AV8, but I also loved my RG2228. really dug my SC608B, and appreciated the heck out of my various 25.5" to 30" scale Agile 8-strings. I'm probably going to get another fanned 8 at some point, but I also want a couple straight fret ones.