Fallout 76

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by Xaios, Nov 6, 2018.

1. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

They sent it after the fact I thought.

2. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I don't normally buy those kinds of bonus/collector things, but I would have assumed they delivered on a different schedule than the game's normal release.

I keep seeing articles pop up about the bag... some are saying that it's not so bad cause the one "influencers" got is not the same bag. I dunno how to feel about it. Cause yeah, it's not the same bag. But it's still giving a better reward away than what the paying customers got.

As you guys can tell by now, I normally try to "side with" the devs by default, try to see their point of view, but the more and more this one goes downhill, I just can't make an argument to defend it anymore. :lol:

3. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal Contributor

The power armor editions were sent out at different times depending on the release. Some retailers sent them out early so that the buyers would have them by the release date (November 14th). As such, some people even received theirs early, before the launch date (there are pics/threads on reddit). Others weren't mailed out until the actual release date. Even with the ones sent out early, no one brought it up until a full 2 weeks after the launch date.

4. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Kinda surprised nobody mentioned it until then. :shrug:

5. Ordacleaphobia

Ordacleaphobia Shameless Contrarian

Yeah that whole bit is ridiculous and I honestly hope they get fined for false advertising.

Mathemagician likes this.
  6. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I kind of like this take on 76:

7. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Really glad Bethesda is eating shit for this. I LOVE fallout and elder scrolls so it’s not an “I have a weird personal bone to pick with XYZ developer” thing.

They released a trash-ass buggy mess with many poorly thought out mechanics (re-specs) and a bait and switch collectors edition, AND heavily discounted it days/weeks after it launched.

This practice is becoming more and more common in the industry and it’s good to see a big player have to backpedal hard when trying to screw over consumers.

See Blizzard and their “Diablo” announcement. And Blizzard just had upset fans over a PowerPoint to deal with, the fans hadn’t actually paid money for anything yet.

People really need to vote with their wallets though, and every single person who pre-orders a game will come back with “well I just had faith in them to deliver a good game, I didn’t think [developer would take ABC shortcut and cut out XYZ worth of content and changed the way cosmetics are gained to make the age 10-15 crowd with zero impulse control spend more] so I paid up front the full price of the game.”

These are usually the same people that willingly spend $150+ on cheap plastic Knick knacks, IE the dev’s most loyal piggy banks.

8. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

That's something I don't really understand though... That so much time is being poured into this. I mean, I understand if you're someone who makes a living out of criticizing games or something - then sure, put enough time in to get a really thorough view of the product - but for everyone else? There's so much entertainment out there, why continue to pour time and money and effort into something you're actively dissatisfied with? The people who continue to play for hundred of hours just to go online and say they're so angry that the game is bad. The people who insist on modding it into something else. The people who intentionally make it worse by griefing people? Why not just.... play a game you actually like instead? Go outside? Read a book? Not buy a game that you suspect doesn't appeal to you in the first place? These are all good options! But the way people speak about it makes it sound like we're being forced to play a video game.

9. Ordacleaphobia

I think it might have something to do with the archaic (lack of) buyer protection that exists here. If you buy a video game that turns out to really, really just suck, then that's it. Peace. Thanks for the $60, loser. There's nothing you can do about it. Maybe people just feel played.

Happened to me with The Division. Bought the game, played for about an hour and a half, detested it on a fundamental level. Sony told me to go fuck myself. I was pissed. For months. Enough that if anyone brought up Sony around me, I'd start ranting about it. But yeah, I dunno, it's not like it was my world or anything. Just if people were talking about it, I'd voice my opinion. I wouldn't have held a grudge at all if they'd have just let me return the damn game.

And wasn't that what Bethesda was doing here as well? Not letting people return the game? Didn't they launch it on their own platform too, so that Steam refunds wouldn't be applicable?

10. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

But did you then play the game for another 100 hours? I understand being upset with the game. I don't understand saying "this game is garbage" and then spending the rest of the week playing it anyway. Seems like, in that case, despite its flaws, you're kind of getting your money/times worth anyway.

Ordacleaphobia likes this.
  11. Ordacleaphobia

Nope. I had misinterpreted what you said, I thought you were referring to all of these people that are making a fuss about it; people making videos, giving Bethesda a hard time, etc.
    Yeah I don't get that either.

12. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

My bad, I may have worded it poorly.

13. Mathemagician

The defense of that behavior that I always hear basically amounts to them WANTING it to be good. So they keep pouring good hours of their life after bad down the drain, hoping it becomes good.

There’s two types of “gamers”. (Regular folks who can stop playing a game and go walk their dog/play other games/have many hobbies do not count as gamers for this example).

1) Play GAME for 1000 hours and go “damn man that was awesome I did like everything there is to do I hope they out out more content!” And then they go play other games/do whatever they like. Maybe they come back if there’s an update or expansion

2) Play GAME for 1000 hours and constantly complain on forums and to people about how little content there is to do and that at “only”1k hours you’re bored and burnt out and how the previous game had so much more stuff and was better and how other similar game is doing so much better and then when an expansion or update comes out they bitch and complain about how little content there is and about how bad it is and how it was “only” another hundred hours or so and wtf are they supposed to do wth that?

These types of people have a lot of things in common, they identify with a game or series and think of it as “theirs”, they refuse to play other things when they’ve realized they don’t like the new thing, they desperately want the new thing to be more like the old thing.

And that’s assuming the new game is still objectively good.

When a turd comes out like ‘76? They are useful in that they take it as a personal affront and start petitions/bad press/etc that actually grab developers attention and make others stop buying it. Think of what happened with Battlefront 2 and how it had to re-jigger a lot to be palatable and missed many sales targets.

Ordacleaphobia and TedEH like this.
  14. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I like how the definition of gamer now includes the inability to stop gaming for a moment to walk your dog. :lol:

QuantumCybin and Mathemagician like this.
  15. Mathemagician

Bro, I don’t know man lol.

When I hear people piss and moan about diablo 3 having only several hundreds hours of content, or of “getting bored” of Monster Hunter World in 3 months after 2-300 hours because G-Rank wasn’t included at launch (brand new engine, assets, animations,on and on takes time), of slamming down WOW raids on farm after 2 weeks of them being out, or being multiple prestige in COD in the first month and then BITCHING ABOUT THE GAME like the game is the problem.

I have to imagine these no-lifers are a small but very vocal minority. “Go outside” sounds mean but like... just go outside tho?

16. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

HA, the dungeons and raids forum for WoW was insane, it was almost exclusively the top like 5% of the raiding community (aka, like .05% of the community et large) telling everyone they were garbage at the game if they asked for strats or complained about a mechanic, while they constantly bitched at blizzard for not having enough content. It was wonderful. I don't miss the days of reading those. :(

17. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

But then game addiction can't be real because how dare you invalidate the way I spend my time. /sarcasm

18. mikernaut

mikernaut pixel pusher

Anybody get any mutations yet? my brother got marsupial and got the higher jumping. I somehow got the 300% health regen from a tougher Scorched but unknowingly used some rad away and cured it :( doh!

I'm going to have to invested in the Starched gene perk so I can hold on to any fun mutations.

I also had no idea you could have more then 1 at a time.

19. Kaura

Kaura matching headstocks <3

Lol, I heard rumours that Bethesda accidentally leaked their customers' private information like home/email addresses. If it's true then Bethesda really needs to start getting their shit together. :lol:

20. QuantumCybin

QuantumCybin Lost In Thought

Kaura and Mathemagician like this.