Fake Shredders

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Spaced Out Ace, Nov 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BIG ND SWEATY

BIG ND SWEATY Edgy

I don't see the problem with this at all. Its still a pain in the ass to carry around and tedious to tap dance on stage just to switch effects. I see no reason why they shouldn't automate it if they want to.

Jonathan20022 likes this.
  2. op1e

op1e Spirit Taker

It all started with whole "Nobody wants to pay a keyboardist anymore" thing. So many djent bands have synths and drops layered in. Children of Bodom and Dream Theater and other older school bands have the guy to play it. I guess I'm going back on my own opinion here. But I guess what I'm saying is, Make Keyboard Great Again!!! Support your local electronic musician FFS.

3. aesthyrian

aesthyrian SS.org Regular

Me either, do what you want. It's their career, not mine. I just know that if a band needs a laptop to "perform" live, then I'm perfectly fine just listening to the mp3's at home.

Yep. So metal! So afraid to make a mistake that any chances of expression are completely removed. I'll stop harping on this, but it's really fucking sad especially if you are old enough to have seen amazing bands play live with no click, no backing tracks(of if there were they were triggered by the drummer manually), ya know, dudes stomping on pedals to change channels. Cool stuff to watch.

4. Science_Penguin

Science_Penguin SS.org Regular

I can get behind that! Bring the keytar back too!

5. couverdure

couverdure No Gear Day

This conversation has turned into "old man yells at cloud" or "I was born in le wrong generation" quickly, but I do agree that there are things that wouldn't translate well from the studio to the stage unless you can find ways to not compromise your own live environment.

Also I'll give a plus on the keyboardists thing, I'm starting a band and one of our members is taking the role of a keyboardist to give our sound extra layers.

jbaxter, Jonathan20022 and aesthyrian like this.
  6. Cynicanal

Cynicanal SS.org Regular

You guys just need to stop going to so many fancy shows at nice venues and go to more local shows at dive bars if you want to see more bands actually playing everything instead of using backing tracks.

(The talk of keyboards reminds me of when I saw Baxaxaxa, and they brought a guy just to do a theremin solo at the end of their set. That was cool.)

Eptaceros, pyrrhus, bostjan and 3 others like this.
  7. Sogradde

Sogradde SS.org Regular

This so much. I wonder if the same people are willing to shell out 3-5 times the cash for a ticket to see bands with the appropriate number of musicians on stage to have everything played live.

jbaxter likes this.
  8. Jonathan20022

Jonathan20022 Engineer

It's so weird to me that music and particularly guitar seems to have a weird obsession with the idea of traditionalism in one sense or another. This niche group gets up in arms about any kind of quality of life changes that actually make live performances an infinitely better experience and want people to revert to basically jamming live without any shred of stability.

But they also want to mock and humiliate musicians who can't perform live or mess up in a live set, what's the deal? I get it that Metallica was fun back in the day when they would go out and tour and play their music 120% faster than the recording and it was great despite how imperfect those performances are. But yeah gonna file this one under the "you can't win" folder, Musicians in the metal genre weirdly want their favorite acts to play some kind of tight rope show with a million more factors that could go wrong. But I guarantee those same people would come online and thrash the bands for making mistakes live.

Even that legal crap people were talking about on the previous page, Musicians make less than ever and you want to take them to court over the logistics of the ratio of live instrumentation played and backtracked ones? :lol: What a shitty attitude to have.

9. BIG ND SWEATY

BIG ND SWEATY Edgy

You don't even know how jealous of you I am right now. I listen to Hellfire at least twice a week.

10. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Eh, enthusiast communities like this are just that way. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

The rest of the 99% of folks listening really don't care.

aesthyrian and Jonathan20022 like this.
  11. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

"A better live experience" Recorded tracks and miming along is not rock, at all. Rock music performed in front of an audience is meant to be performed live, not mimed to. Otherwise, why pay a crew a bunch of money each show to load in/out heavy equipment just so you can pretend to play music Top of the Pops style? Hell, why tour at all at that point.

aesthyrian and Eptaceros like this.
  12. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

Is that why a lot of crowds sound and act so bored these days compared to 20-30 years ago? I'm just curious.

Eptaceros likes this.
  13. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

I don't think there's any correlation between how staged vs. real the music is at a live show to the reaction of the majority of the crowd.

That's going to come down to the audience and just how the band plays to the room, which is a skill all in itself.

14. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Count me among those who couldn’t figure out how Lucas’s guitar cant be heard on the FOH system, but every other instrument could. I get what he was saying that the camera was picking up just the harmony part in his stage monitor, but A) I could hear other instruments, too, and B) that’s kind of a weird set up - why would Lucas have his monitor pointed at the audience? It’s supposed to be back at himself. So if it were facing the stage, it would have to be insanely loud to hear from the audience position, and you’d expect a more muffled sound.
    Anyway, I’m not sure exactly what is going on there. Based on other YouTube play- throughs he’s done, I definitely think there is some miming. But, he can unquestionably play it himself. Maybe he doesn’t like the unprocessed sound?

Flappydoodle and bostjan like this.
  15. prlgmnr

prlgmnr ...that kind of idea

It's a perfectly natural explanation, swamp gas from a weather balloon reflected a beam of electro-magnetic interference from Venus that blocked the sound just of his guitar from being picked up by microphones for the duration of that solo.

16. Charlie Foxtrot 3rd

Charlie Foxtrot 3rd Seven strings, Zero skill

I thought the monitor sound explanation was pretty weak too.

17. Aumann

Aumann SS.org Regular

That's great to read.

Although, there is some kids caring. It's a niche. I remember in my hometown there were a few shredders. Always busy trying to prove they were the best guitar player and the fastest and most technical. That was when we were 13-18. Now, at 26 they are still stuck in there, scarred for life by the shred competition. None of them could write a song or improvise. :D

Charlie Foxtrot 3rd likes this.
  18. Sogradde

Sogradde SS.org Regular

Hurr, why don't you grow a tree for twenty years so you can chop it down, make wood and craft a guitar out of it? Also unearth some ore, smelt it, create various metals and compounds and make your own amplifier. If you don't do that, you're a fake poser!

19. Charlie Foxtrot 3rd

Charlie Foxtrot 3rd Seven strings, Zero skill

Don’t worry there’s plenty of competition amongst the 4 of them which is a good thing, it will drive them to learn and practice but I don’t let it get toxic. The problem I have is I don’t really know how to teach guitar, I just do the “like this, do that” type of thing. I’ve only had a handful of lessons over the last 25 years. So that’s a limitation. I’d say my 15 year old daughter let’s call her “P”, she’s gonna be a sick metal guitarist, IF, I can keep her interested. You know how it is with people who have natural talent, they don’t care about it till they care about it.

20. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

If you were referring to my earlier comment, I'm not sure if you were, but to clarify I said I wonder if there's legal implications to it, not sue or take anyone to court. I don't see that mentioned anywhere by anybody. If anything, it's wording that acts that do use this should be aware of so they don't ge sued by someone for misrepresentation. Wording in advertising a product is important. By purposely lying they would be setting themselves up for potential problems and considering there's thousands of people, one person is bound to take some type of action at some point it would seem. I would not take any action personally speaking.

aesthyrian likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.