Fake Shredders

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Spaced Out Ace, Nov 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lurè

lurè Fake Shredder

Dude, don't miss Levi Clay 2h livestream talking about Lucas Mann synth sample being very loud to cover his sloppyness.

2. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Musical ADHD

3. lurè

lurè Fake Shredder

HungryGuitarStudent likes this.
  4. couverdure

couverdure No Gear Day

Is is that hard to just grab a decent-sounding practice amp and play their parts through it? I realized it's kinda unnecessary to use the same exact studio tone if they're going to do a "live" playthrough.

aesthyrian likes this.
  5. prlgmnr

prlgmnr ...that kind of idea

As long as it doesn't turn out that that cat that says "Well hi" in a Southern accent is faked, I can rest easy.

6. KnightBrolaire

i don't care if the vid is faked, that cat was adorable regardless

HeHasTheJazzHands likes this.
  7. ramses

ramses Guitar/pizza regular

Someone apologized on the Internet. What's going on?

8. HungryGuitarStudent

HungryGuitarStudent SS.org Regular

It’s like watching a derailing train trying to fix itself.

I hope people watch Stephen’s live stream and that all this crap is put to rest so that everyone gets back to actual playing.

9. JoeyBTL

JoeyBTL SS.org Regular

The worst part about the Lucas Mann video that bothers me the most is how he talks about how bad the people are calling all these fakers out, pretty much implying they have something going on mentally/emotionally and acts like its sickening to him, yet still sits there talking like he has done nothing wrong. He obviously knew that the live vid in question is an inaccurate representation of his playing. It clearly has a track over it that he isn't playing, as he even says, but proceeds to play the lick in a way that is not even close to being as perfect as the live backing track. If he really wanted to provide exact proof here, he could have played it absolutely perfectl while he was sitting down in his home studio, with as many takes as he needed to shut people up. But it is in no way the guitar pro like, perfectly on the grid playing that it should be. Left alone the fact that each note sounds like its picked and he only hammers on the descending portion.

I don't have a problem with whatever recording techniques some may use (well sort of, because ROS records sound like straight up midi) but anyway, I feel like the live playing needs and should be as good as that recording. Whoever is doing it. Otherwise it is faking it. If you can't play it like an inhuman robot would play it, then don't play live and act like there's nothing wrong. Because this takes away from some of the few players out there who do things that you want to think aren't real because its so ridiculously good, but you know are just because they still have a certain human element to it. I'm not saying Lucas can't play that line in some sort of way. But this is the problem, people see him muffing through it and are like "SEE!! HE CAN DO IT!!!1!!1!!111". No. It sounds like someone covering the perfect recording of it and not coming quite close enough. Because its pretty much impossible.

10. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Posting the video to clean out the stank that is metal meme youtube influencers.

11. Dayn

Dayn silly person

12. _RH_

_RH_ SS.org Regular

I haven't read this whole thread, but saw some of the recent shenanigans on YouTube. Out of curiosity, would I be in the minority if I said "I'd rather not ANY backing tracks be played at live shows"?

13. jbaxter

jbaxter SS.org Regular

Probably.

14. KnightBrolaire

There's really no need to read the whole thread, it's basically a consensus that miming for a music video= fine. using midi/guitar pro to write is acceptable, but not if you're using it to pretend that you can play better than you can (like HAARP/Rings of Saturn/Dan James Griffin/etc)

I agree, backing tracks are kind of lame unless it's something that they can't reasonably do on tour eg orchestral stuff/non-guitar riffs . I remember when I first saw After the Burial in 2009 and they used backing tracks for the sick classical guitar riffs that in some songs. I was super bummed since I wanted to compare how they played them versus how I was playing them by ear. Same thing happened at a couple other shows (Behemoth, Tyr, Winds of Plague, Born of Osiris, Rivers of Nihil).

Eptaceros, c7spheres and aesthyrian like this.
  15. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

No. I'm on the same mentality.

Music nowadays are heavily focused on production to the point where a lot of bands are forced to rely on backing tracks to recreate the recording quality. And for the most part, dense backing tracks really kill a lot of the energy and rush of a live performance. I don't mind some here and there but not to the pointof over reliance on them.

I saw a band earlier this year, 4 piece band, similar to Evanescence. 90 percent of their music were keyboards through a backing track. The live performance was just so limp and through the motions it killed the energy in the room. It was made more painfully obvious when Meshiaak played afterwards and erased them. Just raw no nonsense live performance.

And seeing Mateus Asato live was another good show with just a power trio jamming. Probably only 1 or 2 songs with minimal synth backing track and it was still live and in your face. And yes Asato is the real deal if anyone dares to point the finger of accusation.

I've manages to get together a killer rhythm section for my next album and agonised for a long time on how I'm planning to present my stuff in a live performance. Ultimately I'll probably just go the Satriani route and strip down to the bear essentials and make the other musos work harder. Because to me it's more fun watching musicians work than just stand there duing the "orchestral parts".

16. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Yeah, I prefer that the music all be played live, if possible. I mean, even if you have to drop something. The idea of a live show is not to hear the album with people moving around on stage. It's a one time interpretation of the songs. When some bands play, you can hear parts missing, or drop out, etc., because there just aren't enough people to reproduce the recorded version. And how they choose to do it live is what's worth seeing. Or, you could be like Geddy Lee, and play bass pedals, a keyboard, and sing at the same time, and really try to nail it.

17. Lord Voldemort

Lord Voldemort SS.org Regular

I always kind of figured that if you were in a band and you played live, you'd have to play your stuff live?

I remember when my old technical, djenty band that wrote half our stuff in guitar pro (A Sense of Gravity, make sure to hit that like button and subscribe ALSO RING THE BELL FOR NOTIF) had to play live it could be really nerve wracking because like, between the six of us there were so many fucking little mistakes in our playing. I'd probably mess up at least once each song, probably more in a live, dark, drunk setting, and the other guys were the same. But who fucking cares? It was a genuine representation of our abilities and music!

All of this faking and 'studio editing' creates this horrific obsession with impossible perfection to honestly a much higher degree that you see in more vane and forgettable genres like modern pop, because the music is so much more complex...

People need to stop being such perfectionists and allow themselves to be vulnerable to combat this culture, or face the inevitable repercussions when people take notice that you're doing shit like this and naturally dislike it. People like genuinity, they relate to vulnerability and generally people dislike liars.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
    Eptaceros and kisielk like this.
  18. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

I agree. I saw Pantera a few times back around thier prime. They were incredible. I couldn't imagine Dimebag playing to a backing rhythm guitar track over his solos or miming his solos. Same with every other band I've ever seen. It just wouldn't be and isn't the same. I could understand things like certain sound fx or orchestra parts that are momentary, like Iron Maiden started doing with the voice over on the Rime Of the Ancient Mariner songs spoken word quote etc. Little things for enhancement, not entire main lead parts. It's just to weird and you might as well be at the air guitar competition or karaoke show or something. I can see that at any bar on almost any given night if I wanted.

Eptaceros and Hollowway like this.
  19. gnoll

gnoll SS.org Regular

I agree on the backing tracks...

If you need three guitar tracks, maybe you should have three guitar players?

The "live" aspect of live music seems to become less and less important. Click tracks, backing tracks, and focus on making it sound as much as the recording as possible.

But hey, if that's what people want, why not just put the record on? Press play, and you're good. The band doesn't even need to be there.

c7spheres likes this.
  20. Charlie Foxtrot 3rd

Charlie Foxtrot 3rd Seven strings, Zero skill

At 21:53 Dime gets asked when he’s playing live does he have a backing track for rhythm guitar while he solos and he says “just let Rex handle it you know, no problem, same thing like Van Halen, old Van Halen Fugg it”.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.