Fake Shredders

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Spaced Out Ace, Nov 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Quoting this because I'm in the middle of doing this with Satriani's "Summer Song," a solo I've tried and failed to play a couple times over the years but think I can probably pull off now. There's two specific points in the "main" solo where the official transcription I have seems accurate, but doesn't really tell the whole picture in that it seems like it's capturing what actually came off the guitar reasonably well, but also comparing it to live recordings and how the rest of the run was, how to say it, "functioning," I guess, it seems like the notes as notated were inadvertent. In two particular points, there's the pedalpoint lick off the G string where right before jumping a few octaves and pedaling off the high e 15th fret, there's some stuff around the 19th-21st frets where I'm pretty sure some of the slides and weird pull-offs were accidental, and then there's one extra pull off to the 15th fret coming after the wide-stretch 22-15 21-15 20-15 stuff where it pulls to the 15 before starting the next motif with the 18-20-118-15 stuff, which I'm reasonably sure was accidental - it doesn't fit in with the melodic or rhythmic pattern Satch was playing, and seems like it was probably just done accidentally while holding the 15th down but transitioning into the new lick.

I'd been killing myself trying to get these accents excactly right in he middle of a lick that's already blisteringly fast, but I think if you accept the fact that this wasn't an intentional "lick" by Satriani so much as a byproduct of what he was playing, and play based on a reasonable interpretation of what he was trying to play, it becomes a (somewhat) more managable run.

Idunno. Sure, use tabs... But use your ears and use your brain. :yesway:

khm, Jonathan20022 and aesthyrian like this.
  2. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

I'm not a big fan of trying to spill arguments from one board over into another, and I think the one person who made a very oblique reference to this thread handled that well.

But, if you're going to bring it up, at least be fair - the discussion there is that ONE of his videos sounds like the audio might have been sped up, and that this one particular video has some weird audio artifacts and sounds tonally very different from a lot of the other videos being posted of his playing in that thread. No one in that conversation is seriously questioning that the guy is an extremely talented player, but there's definitely something weird going on in that one video.

I think trying to get people in this thread to go over to that thread to back you up isn't really a good idea. :2c:

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
  3. Lord Voldemort

Lord Voldemort SS.org Regular

Well, people can tangibly achieve Jeff Loomis ability. Nothing that Jeff does is unobtainable, it's just really hard to reach that level. There's a difference between that's really hard, I quit, and that's impossible, I quit.

4. HungryGuitarStudent

HungryGuitarStudent SS.org Regular

I'm not a big fan of lending me intentions I did not have.

What was meant as an inclusive message to partake in a discussion was interpreted as negative.

Apologies for that and apologies to Troy for the tongue in cheek comment - referencing the self-admitted fact that Troy did not know Taranto or Richardson.

Next time ask me instead of lending me intentions I did not have. I would have gladly explained. I guess that’s a limitation of forum discussions vs talking IRL.

I actually enjoy the discussion, which is why I spent time replying here and on the other thread.

Where did I state that people should come back me up?

Why do you think I said "FYI, if you guys want to partake in an interesting/depressing discussion, Troy Grady (Cracking the Code) and some of his followers are arguing that some of Stephen Taranto's IG videos are fake (on the cracking the code forums)."

Did I not mention that the discussion was in reference to "some of his videos"? Yes I did.

"Interesting" to some, "depressing" to others, since the opinions on this thread and like in every other forum, are varied.

If I wanted an echo chamber, I'd have decided to discuss in an environment where I cherry picked people for their opinions.

I even stated this in the thread you reference, even in reply to you.

Why do you think I said "I enjoy a totally civil discussion and enjoy the fact that you’re taking the time to explain your views."?

Why control a discussion and not let everyone discuss a topic?

@Drew Anyhow, I have nothing against you or your opinions, on the contrary, your opinions add value to my comprehension of things.

5. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

We addressed this on the other board, and frankly I don't have the emotional investment that you evidently do, but since you posted this here, too - while in general I don't love trying to spill arguments across multiple boards, I think the thing that rubs me the wrong way about this the most is your use of "some." It's not. That thread is a lot of discussion about one specific video where his tone is audibly different than normal, his playing is more mechanically precise than normal, and there's something odd about the timbre and attack of the guitar.

It's not like the CtC forum is having an argument about how there's some vast conspiracy to make this dude (frankly whose name I don't even remember) seem better than he is and this is widespread - rather, a couple videos were posted in that thread, most sound great, but a number of participants in that discussion flagged one video as sounding strange. No one's saying the dude can't play, just that something weird is going on with the performance in that one. You're suggesting that the discussion is a lot more widespread than it really is.

6. HungryGuitarStudent

I think Levi hit the nail with the Lucas Mann live video. Why did he knowingly post a video where the audio was from a monitor playing a backing track?

@Drew: I'm sick, at home with a cold. So yeah, I got free time.

I also like this discussion - but not where it's at with you now, which I find unfortunate.

My genuine interest was really to bring people together to discuss this. Which is also why I asked a more general question on fakery to Ola Englund in one of his recent FAQs - which spurred him to answer it and make a poll on the topic.

Your talk of my "emotional investment" seems to convey the fact that you know my intent, which you don't. I agree with all you're saying except your interpretation of my intent and with the specific videos' veracity.

Note that my original question on the CtC forum was about picking patters lol. I did not go fishing for conflict.

I'm sorry that my use of some words rubbed you the wrong way (no scarcasm here).

I don't understand the underlying aggressiveness and willingness to interpret my words negatively. Maybe I'm wrong in my perception here. EDIT: I was indeed wrong in perceiving this (after having discussed with you).

If we must, let's continue this in PM, as I suggested elsewhere.

Anyhow, it's all good on my end man (i.e. no animosity).

7. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

:lol: I'm sorry to hear that. Feel better, man. Go pick up a guitar, which is what I'd be doing if I was at work.

I don't think I'm being aggressive at all, far from it, and evidently you don't think you're being aggressive either, which IMO is a pretty good reason for us both to agree to disagree. End of the day I don't care if this video was edited or not - it sounds odd as hell, but the extend it impacts my life is it's now been a big part of a discussion I've been part of for 24 hours, and I figure that's already too much time.

8. lurè

lurè Fake Shredder

Every single band posts live clip with pre-recorded music to promote something like an album or a tour.
    Are we getting to the point where people will debunk music videos claiming that the musicians are miming over their own pre-recorded music?

Anyway this situation is getting to soap opera level.

o1va, Obsidian Soul and couverdure like this.
  9. HungryGuitarStudent

@lurè Yeah, I hear you. I think Levi was annoyed because Lucas advertised it as live guitar audio (I could be wrong here).

Anyhow, personally it doesn't affect me either way. To each his own.

Advertising raw audio but using trickery is lame to me, but at the end of the day, life is short and I'd rather choose more relevant battles.

Misunderstanding then :)

Good suggestion about playing guitar. I'm actually waiting for my guitar to be refretted. Hopefully I get it back in a few hours. In the mean time, I'm messing around with a demo of the Abasi NeuralDSP plugin reamping DI tracks.

I agree, the impact of such disagreements doesn't merit what they bring. Come to think of it they bring absolutely nothing.

I said it elsewhere and I'll say it here as well, good job on the album man, it sounds great and I like the compositions/melodies/playing.

10. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Thanks man, though that just really reminds me how badly I need to get going on a followup! :rofl: I appreciate your saying that though.

Bigger frets or just replacing worn ones? Good luck either way!

11. HungryGuitarStudent

Bigger frets indeed and going from Nickel to SS.

All the best with the composition and recording for the new album.

12. NoodleFace

NoodleFace Delicious Noodles

Oh you take me too seriously. The big difference to me is Jeff plays very raw and writes good music (AT SPEED). These guys speeding up clips all sound awful.

13. The906

The906 lifetime novice Contributor

I'm ok with fake shredding but only to briefly impress any guests at the house.

14. Charlie Foxtrot 3rd

Charlie Foxtrot 3rd Seven strings, Zero skill

WHAT ABOUT THE KIDS?

Firstly, LOL.

I have 4 children, all of which are learning guitar from me. We have a group lesson Friday afternoons and they practice individually during the week. So yesterday we practiced for an hour or so and as is often the case I reference videos on YouTube as a learning tool to help teach them better than I can certain things. Keep in mind their musical tastes range from Johnny Cash to Slipknot, they’re aged from 10 to 17. I showed them the video of Lucas playing, miming or whatever, I gave no context before hand just said have a look at this. After he played the sequence on stage I stopped the video and asked them their thoughts and all of them said “yeah it’s pretty cool I guess” then my son goes “ let’s jam”

ZERO FUCKS GIVEN.

they DIDN’T care for the music, they DIDN’T care weather it was real or not and they DIDN’T throw their guitars on the floor in a pile and set them alight.

After we jammed together for a while “which was awesome BTW” we talked about the video real quick my 17 year old said “seems like the “kids” on the Internet are the ones being affected by it” and by “kids” she is talking about us.

Jonathan20022 likes this.
  15. HungryGuitarStudent

The soap opera continues with a Jared Dines reaction to Lucas Mann’s reaction to Jared’s initial reaction video...

Hollowway likes this.
  16. SamSam

SamSam GAS problems

The guy can play great. But I find it very strange that the " live DI tracks" sound way cleaner than the videos of him the studio.

Three harmonies on stage pretty much perfect but his live take has noise? Is it just me?

17. Lord Voldemort

Lord Voldemort SS.org Regular

But can they even shred though lmao

skmanga and Charlie Foxtrot 3rd like this.
  18. Charlie Foxtrot 3rd

Charlie Foxtrot 3rd Seven strings, Zero skill

Not yet.

skmanga likes this.
  19. prlgmnr

prlgmnr ...that kind of idea

I'm not really into this until like a hundred videos pop up from people with 48 subscribers or so.

20. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Need more opinions from 22 year olds who communicate in memes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.