Fake Shredders

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Spaced Out Ace, Nov 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gunch

gunch chungus

Hate 99% of prog but Control and Resistance and Skeptic's Universe are 100% unfuckwithable

DLG and iamaom like this.
  2. metal4life71

metal4life71 Active Member

Yeah these fakers annoy me as well. At least on my YT channel, all of my guitar playing is 100% real and authentic me. I am not the greatest player but I have fun and share my experiences. Most of videos get hated on but so what?

Hollowway likes this.
  3. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

I hope these bands aren't saying stuff like "live in concert" in any advertising. To be accurate they should say "live performance", as in a live theatrical performance. Concert means a live performance of music.

4. Charlie Foxtrot 3rd

Charlie Foxtrot 3rd Seven strings, Zero skill

Ha I had some noise cancelling headphone on too bad they didn’t cancel this song out. That was rough going. Sounds like dial up Internet

gabito likes this.
  5. penguin_316

penguin_316 SS.org Regular

The lamest thing is that I’ve been talking about all of this nonsense for years and no one really cared/put any thought into it. Now everyone has integrity for those YouTube views, hmm...

Most people do not care, let’s go ahead and wrap this thread up. The time to discus this was about 10 years ago. Even then, it would be long overdue.

6. Aumann

Aumann SS.org Regular

No suddenly everyone cares too much even, accusing genuinely good players of faking it. I think i preferred it when nobody cared rather than whenguitarists have to be scared to post stuff cause they know they will get accused :p

7. works0fheart

works0fheart Tike Myson

I'm surprised that in 2019 people are still trying to do this after all of the backlash surrounding it for years. Yes, the technology is there now to make it sound like you're playing it, but come time to do it live you're pretty boned.

8. lurè

lurè Fake Shredder

You don't need to play live.
    Most of this shredder live on IG, FB and release their EPs digitally.

9. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

What baffles me is Manuel made a post admitting he pre-records and edits his video yet there’s countless comments saying things like “I knew you were the real deal, absolutely no fakery in your videos”.

:scratch:

I think a big part is people want to believe. They don’t want to find out their fav guitarist is faking it. Like how the Berried Alive “raw” video was enough for a lot of people.

If we could all get back to uploading videos with mistakes and natural human errors that would be great cause the majority of people don’t care for absolute perfection. We all know guitar is hard, unless your Yo. That dude is insane and needs to join some Nevermore style band.

10. Aumann

Aumann SS.org Regular

I think you misunderstood the dude. Manuel refines his vids and does some edits and (like everyone almost) prerecords it, but he doesn't fake playing it. None of his videos are sped up.Look at his live videos. I have personally seen him play live and his hand looks like its glitching cause he is genuinely insane at guitar. His right hand is inhumanely fast.

Multiple youtubers have now issued excuses or made videos further elaborating his case, cause that dude looked fake on instagram but he IS legit.

I have no emotional investment in this, if he faked it, i'd flatout say it. But Manuel is the real deal and him being nominated for best prog guitarist of the year is no fluke.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
  11. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

You can see his playing doesn't line up when he's miming, he's hitting harmonics that aren't there, he's playing single notes but chords are ringing out, you can hear the clear signs of sped up audio that was recorded at 50% speed, the surgical level of quantisation and copy pasting etc etc. How is that the real deal? He has a video where his guitar isn't even plugged in dude :lol:

Yes he has live videos up that show he is an accomplished player and I understand this guy has a very passionate fanbase the are defending him regardless of the obvious evidence but the videos at home are Haarp Machine levels of editing and a completely unrealistic portrayal of his and guitar playing as a whole. I'm not sure what people aren't understanding here? He's one of the main guys which kicked off the whole stop faking your playing thing a few weeks back.

Necropitated likes this.
  12. Aumann

Aumann SS.org Regular

Haven't seen those videos, so maybe i am missing something. The videos i saw were entirely possible. Several youtubers also analysed his videos and concluded that he was indeed not speeding up even though it initially looked like it. Many of them ended up apologising to him for it, amongst which Jared.

Feel free to send me the clips where he's playing notes that aren't there. If he faked them, i'll gladly say it is so.

About the guitar not being plugged in.... almost all playthrough videos are prerecorded and then the produced audio is put on to the playthrough vid. That has been standard practice for, well, always.

But having seen him live, i wouldn't see any reason for him to fake it. As his playing live is insanely tight and pretty much on par with his clips. It would totally beat me why he would fake it unless it's to put out videos faster.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
  13. wannabguitarist

wannabguitarist Contributor

This breaks one of his videos down pretty well.

The dude can clearly play based on his live videos, but he doesn't sound that clean and the miming in the video isn't accurate to what he's actually playing. This is less egregious than the Berried Alive and RoS dudes but it still feels a little cheap. Just record yourself playing :shrug:

cwhitey2, Masoo2, aesthyrian and 2 others like this.
  14. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

The audio is sped up not the video. You can hear in the fast sections of his videos where audio has been recorded slower and sped up. When you speed up guitar it means the strings are vibrating twice as fast which gives it a really unusual sound, there’s no way around this but it can be disguised in a mix. A clear example is in the haarp machine Strandberg video. For an unaccompanied video you can’t hide the signs of it.

levi’s video above goes into detail. I’m not on my desktop so I won’t be able to post links but it’s evident in all the recent uploads on his IG, just have a look yourself.

Yes I’m aware of something I’ve posted about several times in this thread. That’s fine for music videos and general playthroughs but miming to super edited for every guitar video that is also serving as a technique and skill demonstration is where lots of guys draw the line. I want to hear your playing, not your computer playing back a guitar pro file.

This is what puzzles me and others the most. These guys are very accomplished players. Why do they feel the need to resort to such microscopic editing and studio tricks for so many of their videos, some guys it’s all their videos to the point it’s hard to find anything that’s actually raw audio. If you are putting so many hours into guitar why not let people hear you actually play it.

I’m guessing it’s something you start to do in the studio to get your musical idea across. That’s perfectly fine. Do whatever you have to do to get the sound you want for your music but then one of these guys decides to make a video, naturally it blows up. So they keep doing it and the result is now being called out. At that stage it must be very hard to own up and let people know they haven’t been listening to you actually play guitar.

I know it’s a big shock for people and a lot of guys just don’t want to believe it. I don’t want to be the “Santa isn’t real” guy but I’m just stating the facts here. The simple thing is guitars don’t sound like this and humans nor guitars aren’t physically capable of sounding like that.

Masoo2, GunpointMetal and c7spheres like this.
  15. NoodleFace

NoodleFace Delicious Noodles

You k ow when Jared Dines finally cashes in on the crazy that it's hit critical mass

16. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

Are you talking about...

"Do you like... KOMBUCHA!? I Lo0o0o0o00o0o0ove KOMBUCHA! Drinks like pee and smells even worse!"
    >spends next 3 days with greasy kombucha scented hair.

17. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

This is so annoying because they are good guitar players, they're just not superhuman, and that's okay. I'd rather hear a plink or two in a "live video" and have it be live.

Is this the guy from "Unprocessed"? If so a bunch of the clips I've seen have obviously sped up audio. There's one earlier in the thread that has audio that was sped up more than a little bit and its easy as hell to notice it if you listen to the vibrato. It sounds so fake you'd think coins were being collected on screen.

18. lurè

lurè Fake Shredder

Pretty accurate name :lol:

Djentlyman and GunpointMetal like this.
  19. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

People are just insane now by default. In 2019, hardly anyone gives a shit about guitar anyway, people only care about clickbait. I guess people want to
    People get their knickers in a twist over this a lot.

That clip totally sounds sped up. I think some people just don't know what sped up sounds like. That's fine, but I think I know what it sounds like and I strongly believe that is sped up. ...and I don't think it's really that big of a deal. If it sounds fake like that, it's just not my thing. But this isn't new to the digital era. Go back and listen to hair bands from the 80's or even the (how dare anyone criticize them) Led Zeppelin. You can tell that they recorded at a slower tape speed and went up for playback. It's a trick, just like a lot of other tricks that are far less reprehensible than some people make them out to be, but, I mean, it isn't supposed to fool anyone, right? I mean, for most (maybe only some?) of us, it sounds obvious.

It's not like these bands will have any of the other studio tricks in concert: autotune (everyone in pop music uses it these days), a $4500 reverb plugin, an orchestra, punch-ins, blah blah etc. I sure as hell am not going to redo an entire take if I think I can punch in smoothly.

But my point is that when something sounds this fake, I don't really enjoy it anymore...

20. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

A more accurate description for the world we live in does not exist.

sirbuh, Hollowway, tedtan and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.