Fake Shredders

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Spaced Out Ace, Nov 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jonathan20022

Jonathan20022 Engineer

Yes I did, clearly.

It's actually insulting to put a player as insane as Stephen in the mix of this conversation when the only people accusing him of faking that I've personally seen are traditional guitar players who haven't kept up with musicians in the last 3 decades. Jared may have known about Stephen, but even if he didn't he should have done some research before slapping him on the thumbnail of the "Let's look at some accused guitarists who fake their playing".

He did more harm than good, that's the point. That's like throwing Steve Vai or Paul Gilbert on the list because a few randos who don't know about them will immediately assume they are faking.

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

I await to hear more takes from random YouTube "guitarists", for those are truly the opinions that matter.

3. mikernaut

mikernaut pixel pusher

I thought this part was pretty on point.

skmanga, Bdtunn and Hollowway like this.
  4. aesthyrian

aesthyrian SS.org Regular

5. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

^I’ve never seen Miles get that worked up before. He's an incredible player so I can understand it really annoying him.

Jared really held back when it came to Charles and Lucas. He's obviously friends with them and didn't want to say anything negative, purposely using the more vague footage and not the blatant fake ones. He should really do a live Skype interview with Stephen to prove he's the real deal and to introduce him to a bigger audience.

Its understandable people will start questioning Stephen's playing. A lot of guys are probably confused, they've learned a bunch of players they follow on IG aren't actually playing what they hear in their videos. So when they look around they see this absolutely insane player. If you don't understand midi or guitar editing then you might not understand what raw audio sounds like either. I think it's funny we are back to the early days of youtube where anything shred was labelled as fake and sped up.

It's a positive message he's conveying but he's completely avoiding answering any of the actual accusations against him. Either he can't grasp what people are annoyed at or he has an ability to just admit his playing isn't real.

StevenC, aesthyrian and Jonathan20022 like this.
  6. GuitarBizarre

GuitarBizarre Listen to physics.

Remember those videos of Francesco Fareri in the early days, playing his 7 string through that rack setup, with a friggin stopwatch on all the time so people wouldn't accuse him of faking?

7. couverdure

couverdure No Gear Day

Looks like he made a response video about your point and also changed the thumbnail on the other one to avoid looking like he made accusations towards Taranto for faking.

Hollowway and Jonathan20022 like this.
  8. lurè

lurè Fake Shredder

Some of these respond videos around the internet are even worse than all the fake shredding thing.

9. SlamLiguez

SlamLiguez Voidist

It's become quite a bandwagon, really. I get the purpose but there comes a point where people make videos just to get the clicks.

10. Politics of Ecstasy

Politics of Ecstasy OG Shredder

Shred is dead. These “neo-shredders” are just trying to outplay, but not out do, each other. Real shredders write music and shred in their solos; they dont go on YouTube to make challenge videos....i literally can do the same thing at Impelliterri speed and people wouldnt give a shit....and neither would I...shred only matters if it means something, otherwise, its finger gynmanstics on a fret board instead of an olympics blue board or whatever it is lol.

If you have the talent and enough time to master any techniques, you can play almost anything flawlessly; Steve vai and John Petrucci are two of the best examples; Steve shreds like a banshee, but he rarely EVER plays fast, and rarely employs it as an integral compositional style (i think he had one song called “speed?”), Steve is without a doubt maybe the most talented trick guitar shredder there is....Petrucci on the other hand isnt a trickster, he is a machinist.....he literally plays with near total precision, and its very important to his compositional style for the band, but his BEST stuff [besides those cool little speed runs] are his slow songs

Go figure

BenjaminW, SlamLiguez and Alex79 like this.
  11. Splinterhead

Splinterhead Sojourner Contributor

Band wagon reaching critical mass. I teach kids guitar, when I see guys who "over produce" their tracks I do feel it conveys a bad message when they're selling it as the real deal. Its like the heroin chic models on IG or magazines...kinda wrecks a young girl's self image. These impossibly perfect takes have the potential to wreak havoc on a young student's self esteem. Let's face it, the guitar community can sometimes be a cruel one. I feel this aspect of it isn't making it any better. my .02

kamello and Politics of Ecstasy like this.
  12. JK-PA

JK-PA SS.org Regular

feilong29 likes this.
  13. Politics of Ecstasy

Did this guy just SCAT the tabs to a sick solo he can’t even play?

WHAT SHREDDERS DONT KNOW THAT? Ya smug English bastard lol jk jk

most, and by most , I mean me and a lot of “old school shredders” so just that
    In fact, I sometimes will tap ONE time,slide up and back down and pull off AND I’ll combine that with either a little four string sweep or maybe I would do a run, string skip, Tap once or twice and back

I mean did I miss the point of this guy? Is he shitting on this live solo because he only tapped once??????!

(PS If I did misunderstand Skatmetal man please correct me)

14. feilong29

feilong29 SS.org Regular

I think he's pointing out how each note is articulated individually when it shouldn't be at certain points (taps sound picked), so it leads one to believe it is a pre-recorded track (via Guitar Pro or something) and he's miming to it.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2019
    Politics of Ecstasy likes this.
  15. Politics of Ecstasy

AHHHH
    Thank you for the explanation....
    Also, if a band edits a video for release thats like understandable

Now, Try this shit during a HOT LICKS video lesson, and well see who is playing and who’s using guitar-CPU/VST enhancement lol

feilong29 likes this.
  16. SlamLiguez

SlamLiguez Voidist

:agreed::agreed:

Politics of Ecstasy likes this.
  17. DLG

DLG not guthrie govan

18. lurè

lurè Fake Shredder

These are the kind of replies that raise the level of the discussion and isn't a cringy video from another meme youtuber.

Hollowway likes this.
  19. lurè

lurè Fake Shredder

Every opinion matters but the focus of the majority of the videos I've watched Is all about justifying "authentic" shredding from "fake".

20. The906

The906 lifetime novice Contributor

Shred Authentic®

gabito and mikernaut like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.