Fake Shredders

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Spaced Out Ace, Nov 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lurè

lurè Fake Shredder

Wow such an amazing reaction.
    #qualitycontent

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

All these YouTube personalities acting like they're "feuding", it's all bullshit. It's a soap opera to get clicks, ad revenue, freebies, etc.

BenjaminW, tedtan and Spaced Out Ace like this.
  3. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

Only Onision has real drama and a group of people trying to get him rightfully deplatformed.

4. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

Does....does he know he's an ad??

5. feilong29

feilong29 SS.org Regular

Not in defense of this guy or anything, but I was curious to see if there were any "live" takes of his playing. It seems he has the mechanics to play all that stuff, just not as clean as the recording (obviously), skip to 4:30

6. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

That sounded kinda bad. The pro tools musician is really carrying a lot of dead weight to make that work.

feilong29 likes this.
  7. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

feilong29 likes this.
  8. feilong29

feilong29 SS.org Regular

Oh, no doubt! I was thinking all along "all that stuff he is cheating on, Jason could play it as [he] intended" lol

9. HungryGuitarStudent

HungryGuitarStudent SS.org Regular

Which is my main gripe (besides giving unrealistic goals to new guitarists): his intonation, timing and muting isn’t remotely on the level of his recordings. Notice his non-existent pick attack compared to the recording?

Look at videos of J. Richardson or Stephen Taranto doing playthroughs at Namm. They can actually play what’s on their albums to a level that is very close to their recordings.

10. allheavymusic

allheavymusic SS.org Regular

The complaint about unrealistic goals for new guitarists seems odd. I've always been of the opinion that if you push for the impossible and miss, you'll still achieve more than if you'd set your expectations low. For example, I've heard Eyal Levy talk about the new generation of drummers who grew up listening to heavily edited drum recordings but never knew they were edited. They thought the edited recordings were the standard to reach. The result is drummers like Alex Rudinger who are insanely consistent and precise.

Berried Alive seems like a fast player with very sloppy technique. This is why I think the issue will correct itself. His only possible fanbase is youtube/instagram people who like ultra wanky prog but don't realize that he can't play it. That's a tiny audience. He's not going to make much if he doesn't tour, and if he tours, he'll either have to pull it off live or be a joke. Either way, drama only increases his presence. I had no idea who he was until this thread.

wankerness likes this.
  11. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

Everyone, even people that can shred thier butt's off usually are missing the enitre point, imo. Long ago after they reached half thier ability they shoul dhave been focusing on other things like wirting something good. Good is not subjective, it's only what I like deem good : ) I'm an expert on whether I like it or not. Just kidding, but seriously I think all these people are just mising the point and need to grow some soul.

12. HungryGuitarStudent

HungryGuitarStudent SS.org Regular

@allheavymusic I have a similar reaction (i.e. motivation) when hearing JR, Taranto, Wardingham, etc..

Judging from the multitude of « I’ll never be able to play this » or « with hours of practice I can’t get that sound » comments that Berrie’s posts generate, I extrapolated that it discourages some people. Maybe I’m wrong.

In any case, quantized midi guitar is not pleasing to my ears and I’m not super into people claiming to be things they aren’t. These are all personal preferences. To each his own.

@c7spheres : For my tastes, there are a lot of shredders that are good at composing (some also suck). That’s all personal, like the choice to invest time in technique rather than do something else. I choose to pursue technique to some degree because I still feel limited and can’t play some of the stuff that’s in my head. My 2 cents...

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
  13. prlgmnr

prlgmnr ...that kind of idea

Art Tatum teaching himself to play by ear from piano rolls that he didn't realise had been recorded by more than one person at once is a good example of this sort of thing.

BigViolin and allheavymusic like this.
  14. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal Contributor

Never has their been a more apropos prompt to show history repeating itself.

[​IMG]

15. GRUNTKOR

GRUNTKOR - GRANKOR

Alex Gregory is cringe as fuck... He did have a cool Fender Custom Shop seven string Strat with a high A string though which is kinda cool

16. GRUNTKOR

GRUNTKOR - GRANKOR

I also remember a guitar store in Leeds, England had a bunch of custom BC Rich "celloblaster" guitars, which were long scale five-string guitars tuned in fifths

17. GRUNTKOR

GRUNTKOR - GRANKOR

Also Alex Gregory guitars. Sorry for three posts, you can't edit on here and I pressed post too quickly

18. allheavymusic

allheavymusic SS.org Regular

@HungryGuitarStudent I wouldn't read too much into youtube comments. I've seen the "wow I couldn't play half this good if I sold my soul to every devil in hell" or "I put my guitar through a woodchipper after watching this" type comments on basically every shredder channel. Even on some channels that are just okay. There might be people who get discouraged by amazing (or in this case, fake amazing) playing, but I think that's a minority. Anyone who would have quit cause they saw Berried Alive would have quit before they reached a high level anyway. And it's not like quitting (or adopting a less time-intensive style) is a big deal. I quit trying to shred a long time ago and I'm happier for it.

And either way, actually playing amazingly well gets the same discouraged reactions as fake amazing playing. Once you reach a certain level of skill, it's hard to process the relatively small steps. Going from 90% to 99% of your potential looks more impressive than going from 99.5% to 99.9% , even if the second jump is harder.

19. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

a bit of a rant, but he also does examples of it. Playing the same riff at speed vs at 2x speedup from a slow take vs midi+real audio

its a bit extreme as many as those fake shreders only slowdown their tracks a bit not that much, but still it gives you an idea on why things sound real/fake and why I lost any type of respect for them. For the MIDI sound or MIDI+real I dont mind, its their "sound" their tone is more synth based or whatever, but the why the need for play their tracks slow and then speed up the foootage is the worse cheat you can do, specially when they do ahve the skills to play at speed, or even worse when their takes already sound great at 0.75 speed. Its like a 14yr old playing master of puppets slow and speeding up the footage to show it to his friends with "see? I told you I can play it!!"...."no you are not, you play it slow"....."your mom is slow!!".....

20. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire perpetual tinkerer

you literally posted the same vid as the OP 10 pages later lol

efiltsohg, StevenC, brector and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.