Fake guitars for interesting tones

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by DrakkarTyrannis, Oct 30, 2019.

1. DrakkarTyrannis

DrakkarTyrannis WWSD?

I've been playing with the synths in my DAW to work on interesting guitar tones. I like the challenge of seeing how "real" or interesting I can make fake guitars. It started as a project to see how heavy I could make a metal song with no guitars at all, and then it turned into using synths to emulate bass and guitars without using guitar and bass synths.

Yeah I know "Hurr durr...just play guitar!". I could, but it's more fun trying to master getting different sounds and understanding how to use all the knobs and buttons on the synths.

Below is a hastily slapped together idea capture. It hasn't been mixed or panned or anything but I honestly prefer it to the more traditional metal guitar tones.
    https://soundcloud.com/helveteinc/coffin/s-f2jig

Has anyone else tried this? I'm interested in hearing your results

2. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

I haven't, but I'm reminded of all of the old SNES and Genesis/Megadrive games where they tried to emulate the sound of an electric guitar for the background music. Always hilarious.

3. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

Dig it! Cool tone. I'd probably layer some real for some character 'slop' but I'm very keen on synthetic as a primary tone