Face tattoos??

PyramidSmasher

Chess Dragon
Reaction score
While the cool/nice face tattoo DOES exist, it is the hardest place to put something without looking like a serial killer

abandonist

Banned
Reaction score
I'm covered in tattoos - arms, chest, back, knuckles, and I have a moon tattooed at the point where my sideburn meets my hairline. It's small and usually covered by my hair, but it's there.

I think "face" tattoos usually just aren't attractive, but I don't really care if anyone gets one.

skeels

..to pay the beels
Reaction score
Personally I like the serial killer look...

I also dig that snake tongue thing....

Watty

Naturally Cynical
Reaction score
I'm not so sure that your opinion is really objective, Watty, perspective be damned.

Well, I think by definition, an opinion can't be completely objective, so I'd have to agree to that extent. :lol:

I went back and reread your first post on this issue, and it's clear that you disdain something about this culture that goes beyond an annoyance. You seized upon several claims you thought could be used to argue for Rick's respect and tried to argue against them. What is it that you have against him, really?

I don't have anything against him inherently as he could be the nicest guy in the world; what I don't care for is his means of revealing the fact that he wants attention.

I also don't understand why you insist on painting me into the corner by slipping in these statements that we should respect people's pursuits of happiness, whatever that pursuit may be. Clearly, that's not the case. I'm not arguing for a broad statement like that. I'm saying that in this situation, this context, you should respect someone willing to accept the consequences of their pursuit. I categorically reject the notion that people doing whatever they feel like should be venerated when it infringes on other people's right to do whatever they feel like.

I'm most definitely NOT advocating for respecting the pursuits of happiness in all arenas, sorry if that was not clear.

If you don't understand his thought process, that's okay. I have no problem with that. If you don't like his taste in tattoos, that's okay. You're entitled to that opinion. Objectively, are there some positive things you can say about this man? Yes. And to a certain degree, even if you don't care for tattoos, he has done something that can be respected.

I understand his thought process just fine; he wanted to be viewed a certain way by others, and he made that a reality. And I think his tattoos are interesting not to mention well done, something most people don't seem to care about. And I'll say again that I don't consider his decision to be something worthy of my respect.

I'll put it in non-specific terms, to see if you disagree with this on principle. If someone chooses to do something uncommon to most people, yet not harmful to any, in their quest for happiness in life, should they be regarded positively or negatively?

This makes things slightly more difficult for me, as you'd probably hoped, but only because one could involve so many things that are not self-destructive the individual being considered. And, while I know this doesn't answer the question, but how do you feel about the guy that supposedly had a pair of glasses tattooed onto his face? Is it a situation that falls into the same category as what Rick's done, or do you feel that the type of work done on the face changes what sort of respect is deserved? Is one stupid and the other art? Did one require significantly more "balls" than the other to go through with it? I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on this juxtaposition of ink.

The list of analogues for this is long. Can you appreciate the music of a guitarist you don't like based on his technical facility? Or should you dislike him completely, based on assumptions and ignorance?

I typed out a longer reply to this but realized it was a bit moot given that we've already disagreed on the point that would allow you to see exactly where I'm coming from. In short, yes...to the first part of this sentiment. And I'm not "disliking" Rick because of assumptions and ignorance, I'm disliking him because he made what I deem to be a stupid decision in his pursuit of external gratification for it (cyclical I know, but I believe someone mentioned that his work was done over time, so I figure it applies).

Watty

Naturally Cynical
Reaction score
død;3427553 said:
I have yet to meet anyone that got tattoos to get respect from other people that also have tattoos. That includes myself, my girlfriend and several of my best friends. We got tattoos because we like the way they look, and spent a good deal of time and money picking out the artists that did them on us. Having tattoos doesn't automatically grant you respect from other people with tattoos.

Let's say you pass someone on the street who's covered in ink. Being that you have tattoos as well, your first thought is probably wondering one of the following:

1) Who did the work.
2) What might have been his reasoning for getting them.
3) How long he's had them.
4) Whether he covers them up when working.
5) Etc.

For the person who doesn't have tattoos, or doesn't care for them, the list might look like:

1) What a waste of money.
2) How stupid does this guy look?
3) I wonder who the heck would hire him.
4) Does he regret getting them?
5) Etc.

Perhaps you never even speak to the guy in question, but you've elected to think on questions significantly different than those of the "outsider;" and, in this regard, I think that you've elected to give him some respect inherently. This is, again, an oversimplification, but you've essentially chosen to bypass those "disrespectful" questions for a reason; I maintain it's due to what your post replied to.

Reaction score
teeth-mike-tyson-400a071807.jpg

The Reverend

GHETTO KING OF SWAG
Reaction score
I understand his thought process just fine; he wanted to be viewed a certain way by others, and he made that a reality. And I think his tattoos are interesting not to mention well done, something most people don't seem to care about. And I'll say again that I don't consider his decision to be something worthy of my respect.

The first sentence I take issue with. He has visible tattoos (as opposed to invisible tattoos :lol:), but that doesn't necessarily mean he got them just for the attention. We can never know for sure, since even his word has to be taken with some skepticism. I'll give you that point since there's no way to prove or disprove it without being in Rick's head.

This makes things slightly more difficult for me, as you'd probably hoped, but only because one could involve so many things that are not self-destructive the individual being considered. And, while I know this doesn't answer the question, but how do you feel about the guy that supposedly had a pair of glasses tattooed onto his face? Is it a situation that falls into the same category as what Rick's done, or do you feel that the type of work done on the face changes what sort of respect is deserved? Is one stupid and the other art? Did one require significantly more "balls" than the other to go through with it? I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on this juxtaposition of ink.

Self-destructive, for the time being, can't be used in our situation, as Rick either parlayed his choices into a career, or created a career by getting the work done he did. As for your question, humorously enough, one did require more balls than the other in terms of pain. I'm hesitant to get into a discussion of what can be considered art, as older and wiser heads disagree vehemently and much more eloquently than I on that matter.

IMO, both command my respect. Whatever the reasons each had behind their choices, they live with the consequences. I'd afford the same respect to them that I would a gay couple holding hands, walking down Main Street in Smalltown, Texas. Of course, that assumes that Rick and Glasses Guy got their work to make their body more appealing to their idea of beauty. I'd even respect them if they just did it for attention, because they were willing to satisfy their needs in a much bolder way than I.

I guess I'm just more willing to take an empathetic stance than one based on solely my own standards.

Kiwimetal101

'Tread Lightly'
Reaction score
Its just fucked up

I'm all for being yourself and doing your own thing, but the way society is these days with appearance and everything else people should really fucking know better. I'm studying to become a primary school teacher (elementary) and I need to be really careful from now on about how I act, dress, speak, load stuff on FB etc which is really annoying. But its the world we live in and I need a career at some point.

skeels

..to pay the beels
Reaction score
^We all get a choice. Some of us choose to do things regardless of societal expectations. Some of us choose to conform to opinions and judgements that "the world" tells us we should have.

Hurray for choice!

The Reverend

GHETTO KING OF SWAG
Reaction score
You know, one could almost make this a philosophical debate. Should one have to sacrifice personal happiness in order to fit in with society's arbitrary norms? And which is more venerable, the man who lives life for himself, or lives life to please others?

I'm reminded of the ancient Greek's penchant for pedophilia. At that time, it wasn't a traumatizing thing, and viewed as completely normal. Young boys would actually vie for the attention of older masters to bring themselves and their families some renown. In today's world, that's a disgusting ideology. Which is truly normal? Which is better? Is one really better than the other?

axxessdenied

Arium Addict
Reaction score
I don't see anything "artistic" about this chick getting her face tattoo'd like this.

Let's see... she pretty much let her boyfriend BRAND HER FACE like she's a piece of property. Sooooo artistic. More, like fucking retarded!

I don't mind tattoo's but this just looks like stupidity to the max. :2c:

DanakinSkywalker

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
OP is very dumb, like axxess said. That's not even an artistic tattoo, just some guys name on a chick's face. Very stupid. I guess face tattoos are cool if you never want a decent paying job.

død

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Please don't try making a definition of what "art" and "artistic" means. While I agree the tattoo is fucking ugly as shit, the artist made it with his artistic abilities, and it is with out a doubt a piece of art. Art doesn't have to be beatiful.

axxessdenied

Arium Addict
Reaction score
død;3430884 said:
Please don't try making a definition of what "art" and "artistic" means. While I agree the tattoo is fucking ugly as shit, the artist made it with his artistic abilities, and it is with out a doubt a piece of art. Art doesn't have to be beatiful.

Why not?? Too many people try to pass off bullshit as "art". Don't want to get your feelings hurt, don't make your work public. :2c:
Some people are just not cut out to be "artists".

It's like people that get a DSLR and automatically label themselves "photographers".

Our society is way too politically correct, people need to hear the truth once in a while and get a reality check!

død

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Why not?? Too many people try to pass off bullshit as "art". Don't want to get your feelings hurt, don't make your work public. :2c:
Some people are just not cut out to be "artists".

It's like people that get a DSLR and automatically label themselves "photographers".

Our society is way too politically correct, people need to hear the truth once in a while and get a reality check!

Because you not liking something doesn't take away the fact that it's art. Art's number one purpose is to get a reaction out of people. This certainly got a reaction, and therefore it is art. Even horrible, shitty art is still art. You can tell that to the person that created it. Doesn't change a thing.

Latest posts