EZdrummer 3

gabito

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I know absolutely fuck all about drumming but want to start making songs in my DAW. My friends all recommended EZdrummer. Is this ideal for a drumtarded person?
Yeah, it's pretty easy and it sounds good. You could write entire songs using only the pre made grooves (I think they call them that?) and the AI helper if you wanted to. It's very easy to edit the grooves or write your own too (it can be tedious, though).

NoodleFace

Delicious Noodles
Reaction score
Thanks!

I'm not looking to make full production songs or anything, just writing stuff for the band and making the songs more solid rather than just sending riffs. I think this will fit my use case good. I had superior drummer at some point, but I found it difficult since I'm not smart with drums

bigcupholder

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Thanks!

I'm not looking to make full production songs or anything, just writing stuff for the band and making the songs more solid rather than just sending riffs. I think this will fit my use case good. I had superior drummer at some point, but I found it difficult since I'm not smart with drums
Ez drummer is awesome. I'm still lost on some features going from v2 to v3, but the new bandmate feature makes things crazy easy. I just tested it with a weird odd time signature riff to see if it was really making up new grooves algorithmically or if it was simply searching, and I can confirm it generates new ones, and they're very good

dmlinger

PepperFox Guitars
Reaction score
I've been looking at getting EZ Drummer 3 and last night I saw that Toontrack offers a few bundles that include pretty solid savings. Some background on my drumming experience...I have none. I can tap out kick and snare patterns, but don't really know where to begin with toms, cymbals and hi hat. The music I write would be classified as heavy rock with a metal influence. I don't djent.

Toontrack has a bundle with the base EZD3 software plus 2 Expansion Packs for $269, and another with the base EZD3 plus 6 MIDI packs. Both save around $100 give or take a little.

My question is are these worth it? Necessary? If so, which is a better overall option?

Are the base tones/samples adequate, or are the expansion packs needed? Are the MIDI packs a good option? Does the grid editor make the MIDI packs unnecessary? Or are they a good resource to have as a starting point?

I know that's a lot of questions, but gives you an idea of the dilemma I'm in.

bigcupholder

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I've been looking at getting EZ Drummer 3 and last night I saw that Toontrack offers a few bundles that include pretty solid savings. Some background on my drumming experience...I have none. I can tap out kick and snare patterns, but don't really know where to begin with toms, cymbals and hi hat. The music I write would be classified as heavy rock with a metal influence. I don't djent.

Toontrack has a bundle with the base EZD3 software plus 2 Expansion Packs for $269, and another with the base EZD3 plus 6 MIDI packs. Both save around $100 give or take a little.

My question is are these worth it? Necessary? If so, which is a better overall option?

Are the base tones/samples adequate, or are the expansion packs needed? Are the MIDI packs a good option? Does the grid editor make the MIDI packs unnecessary? Or are they a good resource to have as a starting point?

I know that's a lot of questions, but gives you an idea of the dilemma I'm in.
As someone who has spent a lot of money on both expansions and midi packs, and who also isn't a drummer: get the midi packs to start with. The bandmate feature can help come up with nice original patterns sometimes, but having more solid/realistic starting points is still better. Then use the grid editor mostly to add or remove a few hits that are out of place rather than trying to write patterns from scratch (unless really necessary).

The expansions come with some additional midi, but they're mainly about different tones. The base presets are fairly diverse and you still have the mixer (which also allows for adjusting reverb, compression, etc) as well as the ability to swap out specific parts of the kit. You could even send each part of the kit as separate tracks when you add EZDrummer to your project, which would allow you to add different EQs and effects to each part separately with whatever other VSTs you have.

Unless you're really picky about drum tones, you should get a lot of mileage out of the base pack and not really need expansions, at least to start with. A bad drum pattern (i.e. that doesn't fit the song) is far more obvious than a bad drum tone, even to non-drummers and even if they have no idea how to fix it, because drums are felt as much as heard.

dmlinger

PepperFox Guitars
Reaction score
As someone who has spent a lot of money on both expansions and midi packs, and who also isn't a drummer: get the midi packs to start with. The bandmate feature can help come up with nice original patterns sometimes, but having more solid/realistic starting points is still better. Then use the grid editor mostly to add or remove a few hits that are out of place rather than trying to write patterns from scratch (unless really necessary).

The expansions come with some additional midi, but they're mainly about different tones. The base presets are fairly diverse and you still have the mixer (which also allows for adjusting reverb, compression, etc) as well as the ability to swap out specific parts of the kit. You could even send each part of the kit as separate tracks when you add EZDrummer to your project, which would allow you to add different EQs and effects to each part separately with whatever other VSTs you have.

Unless you're really picky about drum tones, you should get a lot of mileage out of the base pack and not really need expansions, at least to start with. A bad drum pattern (i.e. that doesn't fit the song) is far more obvious than a bad drum tone, even to non-drummers and even if they have no idea how to fix it, because drums are felt as much as heard.
Thank you! That's what I was leaning towards, especially since I'm not a drummer. Probably going to pull the trigger on the bundle with 6 MIDI packs.

Stiman

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I have EZD 2, and I don’t really see a compelling reason to upgrade just yet, but if the upgrade goes on sale during Black Friday, I would definitely pick it up.

bigcupholder

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I have EZD 2, and I don’t really see a compelling reason to upgrade just yet, but if the upgrade goes on sale during Black Friday, I would definitely pick it up.
The grid editor is great. It's not just a "grid editor" really, as it gives additional options like changing the feel or increasing/decreasing the intensity towards either end of a pattern. IMO it's a solid upgrade that's definitely worth the cost.

I was not sure how long the upgrade deal would last either, so I jumped on it immediately.

Stiman

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The grid editor is great. It's not just a "grid editor" really, as it gives additional options like changing the feel or increasing/decreasing the intensity towards either end of a pattern. IMO it's a solid upgrade that's definitely worth the cost.

I was not sure how long the upgrade deal would last either, so I jumped on it immediately.

I tend to move things into the Reaper midi (and out of EZD) pretty quickly, not sure why, I guess I like seeing the midi in the main view. But maybe it makes more sense to leverage more of the EZD features within the VST.

You have me really curious now. I hope I won’t have any issues with existing projects that have EXD already in use. Meaning I can just upgrade, open my existing projects and it just works as before but with the new plugin.

bigcupholder

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I tend to move things into the Reaper midi (and out of EZD) pretty quickly, not sure why, I guess I like seeing the midi in the main view. But maybe it makes more sense to leverage more of the EZD features within the VST.

You have me really curious now. I hope I won’t have any issues with existing projects that have EXD already in use. Meaning I can just upgrade, open my existing projects and it just works as before but with the new plugin.
Unless I messed up my install somehow, it's not that simple. It installs as a separate VST. It's an "upgrade" in terms of sales, not in terms of the install process. You'll still have EZDrummer 2 after installing 3, so your current projects will load just fine, but you'd need to swap the VST

Stiman

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Unless I messed up my install somehow, it's not that simple. It installs as a separate VST. It's an "upgrade" in terms of sales, not in terms of the install process. You'll still have EZDrummer 2 after installing 3, so your current projects will load just fine, but you'd need to swap the VST

Awesome, good to know. I just bought the upgrade minutes ago.