EZdrummer 3

shpence

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

Not a ton of info out on it yet but I pre-ordered it immediately. I have the Superior stuff as well but tend to get more done with EZ so this looks awesome. Having a grid editor that was in Superior 3 is mainly why I purchased it as I hate MIDI editor in Reaper. Looking forward to finding out more about it!

Guitarmiester

Awesome-O
Reaction score
I bought the upgrade yesterday, downloaded/installed this morning and looking forward to giving EzDrummer3 a spin after work. I'm really curious to try out the bandmate feature. I always found Tap2Find to be clunky. I'm already seeing a lot of complaints about the updated Tap2Find.

Anyone else buy the upgrade? I'll be driving in later tonight to put it to use.

shpence

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I bought the upgrade yesterday, downloaded/installed this morning and looking forward to giving EzDrummer3 a spin after work. I'm really curious to try out the bandmate feature. I always found Tap2Find to be clunky. I'm already seeing a lot of complaints about the updated Tap2Find.

Anyone else buy the upgrade? I'll be driving in later tonight to put it to use.

I agree on Tap2Find being clunky. I always had to click "early" to get even close to where I wanted the hit to be. I eventually just stopped using it. The bandmate thing looks cool but I don't know how much I'll use it. Does sound like a better Tap2Find though so maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Kind of a weak build-up to launch as far as info/videos go. Guess I'll just be reading the manual this weekend.

MetalheadMC

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I had about 10 minutes to mess with it earlier. As of right now, it's going to be quite an adjustment.

The band member function is midi based. The mixer combines channels differently than 2 did. Not really excited about that yet. Also, all the songs saved on 2 won't convert to 3. They'll have to be saved as midi to drop into the new interface, unless I missed something.

Probably the only worthwhile change I've seen is the grid editor. Other than that, time will tell.

MetalheadMC

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

Video on the Bamdmate function that I should have watched before trying it.

gabito

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I bought it. Still messing with it, but I like what I see (and hear).

The bandmate functionality could help to streamline some stuff in my workflow. It'll take a few weeks (or months) to learn how to use everything.

MetalheadMC

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Attach files

Wonder if this applies to the multi-out function as well. I'll have to look into this!
I misspoke. Kick gets track 1/2, snare 3/4 etc. It's the same just labeled differently. Still not sure why it's labeled that way though.

The band mate function is still a loss on me. I tried a fast riff and got bullshit results. I'm thinking it may work better to tab something in guitar pro, and load that into it

Guitarmiester

Awesome-O
Reaction score
What kind of file did you use in bandmate? I finally had some time to mess with EZD3 today and had surprisingly good results with bandmate. It works really well with audio as long as it's in time and seems to work better with a clean DI rather than distorted or already ran through an amp sim.

MetalheadMC

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
What kind of file did you use in bandmate? I finally had some time to mess with EZD3 today and had surprisingly good results with bandmate. It works really well with audio as long as it's in time and seems to work better with a clean DI rather than distorted or already ran through an amp sim.
I tried both. One with distorted and the other with a clean signal. Still didn't really get the results I was hoping for, but I'll keep trying over time.

TonyFlyingSquirrel

Cherokee Warrior
Reaction score
Is there a way to expand the kit with more toms beyond that which is available in the GUI?

I have SSD 5 and they don’t have a way to do that. Looking to build a kit with 4 rack toms, 2 floor toms.

bigcupholder

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I tried both. One with distorted and the other with a clean signal. Still didn't really get the results I was hoping for, but I'll keep trying over time.
The demo says it works better with a DI. I haven't had time to try it yet (installed but haven't even opened it) but I anticipate needing to play a stripped down version of a busy riff to help it find a good groove at times.

I don't expect it'll be perfect but if it saves me from having to waste an hour searching through hundreds of midi files only to give up and draw out my own in a piano roll, I won't mind needing to give it a modified version of the riff. But we'll see.

Guitarmiester

Awesome-O
Reaction score
I'm really liking EZD3 so far. The new kits also sound great and cover a ton of ground. I've got a good amount of the expansions and finally considering selling a few to focus on a few of my most used. I do like having the extended drum samples anytime I'm layering drums/percussion. Not the end of the world to thin the herd.

Is there a way to expand the kit with more toms beyond that which is available in the GUI?

I have SSD 5 and they don’t have a way to do that. Looking to build a kit with 4 rack toms, 2 floor toms.
Not that I'm aware of. The closest you'll get is using an expansion kit that has 3 rack toms and 2 floor toms. Many of them have that config. Outside of that, you can't add additional drums that aren't part of the kit.

MrWulf

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

Its really hard to find a sampled kit from anyone that have 4 racks and 2 floor toms. Even with SD3 the most is 3 racks and 2 floor. If you want more you are gonna have to check GGD Invasion or Drumforge Bergstrand, since those have that much toms sampled.

SamSam

GAS problems
Reaction score
Superior drummer has a function where you can add extra samples to a pad on the screen adjacent to the kit. I cannot recall if ex drummer has that function though.

You could load an item and map it along with the loaded kit (pretty sure you could anyway). They would be visible to the right of the kit.

TonyFlyingSquirrel

Cherokee Warrior
Reaction score
Ok, got word back from Steven Slate, they walked me through how to do this. You indeed can add more drums than the GUI will acknowledge per pad.
Look at this Video at the 1.00 mark. You have to ML "Midi Learn" from the editor window specifically, not the key-map window, then you can accomplish it. I re-do my key-map anyway, so all of my skins are on white keys and my brass (hat, cymbals, etc) are on black keys.
I now have a kit with 4 rack toms and 3 floor toms, along with my plethora of brass.

AMOS

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Has anyone tried the Toontrack Seventies Prog MIDI Pack? I haven't tried any MIDI packs yet, just the EZX Expansions. I'm guessing you need to assign your own drum sounds to the MIDI pack grooves?