Explorers on a Rack?

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by vortex_infinium, Jul 24, 2020.

1. vortex_infinium

vortex_infinium SS.org Regular

Had to take my Explorers (mostly EX's) off the wall. Don't have the floor space for floor hangers due to quantity. All my racks are the fold-into-a-case design and they fit, but they sit on edge of the back wing and lean a lot of weight on the neck. I can still lean the guitar out with one finger but it's more weight than i'm comfortable leaning on a neck. I've heard of people getting them to sit properly on tube style racks but I don't have one to try and it's difficult to try something out like that IRL right now with Covid.

Is this safe to do? Any Experiences? Or does anyone have any recommends for a rack that can more comfortably accommodate Explorers? I don't particularly have a budget but I did draw the line just before a commercial T-Leg supported slat wall with sideways hangers... EDIT: Correction, even if it's safe to do, for my own peace of mind I would like to explore (get it?) other options.

2. Sogradde

Sogradde SS.org Regular

The strings put much more strain on the neck than leaning them against something ever could. They will be fine.

budda likes this.
  3. conorreich

conorreich Momento Mori

I do it with my LTD EX-360. It works for me. I've done it for two years and have had no issues.

4. JimF

JimF SS.org Regular

5. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

^ IMO that's the correct answer (maybe one of the double stands instead of triples so that the wings are going to hit eachother).

I've got a bunch of explorers that sometimes sit on those tube racks. There's not really any more weight on the neck than any other instrument would have. With the stand I have, I try to line them up so that the back/wing/whatever you call it sits flat against the bottom tubes, then just slide back until the neck hits the back support. It works well for the Ltd Ex shape, but a bit less for the Epiphone which ends up hovering juuuust a bit if you don't do it right.

guitars_on_stands.png

JimF likes this.
  6. uni777

uni777 SS.org Regular

I use the same kind of rack. I just place the upper fin on the inside and that way it also rests on the other tube.

Attached Files:

TedEH likes this.
  7. TonyFlyingSquirrel

TonyFlyingSquirrel Cherokee Warrior