Experience with Klein Guitars?

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by narad, Dec 26, 2019.

1. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

Just curious if anyone has any experience with Klein Guitars? I've always found them cool, and lately I keep going back to this video with a Klein harp:

But I also just like the "regular" old EMGs + transtrem + carbon fiber neck ones:

[​IMG]

Just seems so purposefully ergonomic. Anyone play one, own one?

BigViolin and Randy like this.
  2. Randy

Randy Full on Friendship!™ Super Moderator

I'd heard Klein got back into building more steadily a few years ago, but I'm not entirely sure what that means as far as prices and wait times.

I love the Kleinberger as a utilitarian guitar, but obviously with the last of the graphite neck guys not building then anymore, options for getting an accurate-ish type build are limited unless you find a good price on a GR and snatch the neck, find someone that has one stashed or plunk down Headless USA's silly prices.

If the specifics aren't as important as the outline and decent quality, I've heard and seen pretty good things from Forshage. I know Josh on MG has one (forgot his tag here) and I know techno dabbled in the pre-Strandy headless market, so he might know better.

BigViolin and narad like this.
  3. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

That harp guitar is sick! I'm not a fan of the basic Klein shape, but I love that he isn't just making strat clones. I can't contribute much to the thread, but I have seen a couple pop up on reverb in the last few months.

4. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

It's been damn near 20 years since I've been in the same room as one.

Seemed very well built. I wasn't fond of playing it, but I don't think I even knew what I had in my hands at the time.

Hollowway likes this.
  5. narad

Yea, he definitely did. He had the tele klein, which I'd probably have bought had the headless klein not existed to warrant buying instead. Cool headstock on that one.

And as of October or so, the new headlesses are churning out. Mostly redwood bodies (some figured, some not) and the rosewood necks. Prices are on the high side. I'm just erroneously riffing from memory, but I seem to recall something like $7-8k. I can't remember if that was me asking for the straight headless or the headless harp. Honestly as cool as CF is, I wouldn't be surprised if the rosewood neck Kleins sounded better. Still, I am actually considering one of the headlessusa ones, assuming there's some negotiating that can be done.

EDIT: "Custom order – starting at $4,500."
    Right there on the website. I guess the higher quote was maybe for a harp guitar.

Long shot but do you remember if you weren't fond of the neck? I heard the necks on the new ones are narrow... still trying to get some confirmation, and I'm also curious if it's the same in the old ones.

6. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Fairly thick and flat. But not obnoxious.

7. Randy

Dunno if you've talked to the Headless USA guy before but from the couple times I talked to him, he claimed he's got dozens of guitars that aren't posted online, between stuff that hasn't been restored yet, NOS and personal collection. Wouldn't be surprised if he's got a couple to choose from if that's the price range you're looking for.

8. Be_eM

Be_eM SS.org Regular

I've got two ones and they play exceptionally well. Soundwise similar to Steinbergers of the same era (not a surprise), the ergonomics are fantastic. Steve builds them again on order, with wooden necks and different hardware, of course.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Masoo2, BigViolin, StevenC and 2 others like this.
  9. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Way back in college, I knew a guy who ordered one. I'd heard of the company before but didn't know a ton about them, and played it one afternoon. All I can really tell you, this far down the road, is that it was a cool guitar, but way out there in terms of what I was looking for, myself.

10. jwguitar

jwguitar SS.org Regular

I was a big Steinberger fan years ago and I got to play a friend's Klein guitar. The guitar is definitely ergonomic. From what I remember the guitar played really nice. It was a different feel since the neck was wood as opposed to the graphite.

11. narad

Well hrmmm.... incoming.

12. BigViolin

BigViolin breakfast foods

So, you ordered up?

What did you hear about neck specs? I've wanted one for years and when I heard he was doing headless again...well I've kinda avoided contact as I don't really need to go there lol.

If he will do 2.25" at the heal with a 1 11/16" nut I might be in trouble.

13. narad

Well, bought up. I wanted the trans-trem and graphite neck, so I bought an 80s one. New ones are tempting too, but seems more like a typical guitar in Klein shape, while I feel I have more to discover from the old Steinberger ones.

Just gotta get a rare set of EMG 57/66-TWs to replace the 89s in there. Though, I'm also trying to get in touch with the guy who does the harp guitar conversions...

BigViolin likes this.
  14. BigViolin

BigViolin breakfast foods

Very cool, please share all the details when you get it. Stoked for this!

narad likes this.
  15. narad

Should have it Friday:

[​IMG]

A little pricey but just had the full Jeff Babicz maintenance, and I don't mind supporting that original steinberger crew just out of general respect for how innovative those guys were and how dedicated they've been to the brand after all these years.

Deep Blue and BigViolin like this.
  16. Randy

Does it come with the blanket tho?

17. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

18. Randy

19. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

Merely a serving suggestion, like the fresh fruit on the front of a box of strawberry Pop-Tarts.

20. narad

If it did, it'd break the legacy of the other hundreds of headlessusa instruments for sale ads.

It does come with the usual gigbag but unfortunately not anything more robust, which means I've got two flights back to Tokyo where I have to protect it from getting smashed up in the overheads.