experience with Japanese ebay sellers?

Emperor Guillotine

The Almighty Ruler
Reaction score
The Japanese sellers on eBay are scalpers who don't own the items that they are posting. Never touched anything they're listing. They find a listing for an item in Japan on various websites, copy the photos and description, repost the item on eBay, and inflate the price to make a profit.

If you're web savvy, you can do some detective work with Google and/or learn how to navigate the Japanese selling sites in order to find the original listings and see if you can work out international shipping with a proxy buyer (private individual or proxy buyer service who ships worldwide) or something to that extent. It would end up being much, much cheaper.

I've got contacts in Japan, and I regularly import guitars and basses from Japan, including stuff that is rare or absolutely unavailable outside of the Japanese market. Holler at me if you ever want any help.

Narad here on the forum is also a solid dude. I see he has already posted his input here on the thread.

KobyFit7

Koby Fitzsimons
Reaction score
Quick update!! Just want to say thanks to all the guys who pointed me in the right direction!! I took the leap and bought a Mid 80s (can’t exact date it yet as haven’t found the serial number yet 😂) Burny RLC60 that I purchased through Zenmarket. Just took delivery of it today and it was packed to survive armageddon!!! Managed to purchase it, pay zenmarket fees, shipping and import taxes for pretty much bang on £800 GBP.

Highly recommend zenmarket as their fees are super cheap and their communication was spot on! Cheers guys!!

Also, the guitar itself is an absolute dream!!! Build quality, hardware, playability is all utterly superb! I think there’s a reason these old MIJ guitars have such a cult following!!

Attachments

• 3D2A9DBB-A7CD-4DC5-8D9E-80A8289DB33D.jpeg
    3D2A9DBB-A7CD-4DC5-8D9E-80A8289DB33D.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 14
  • E5A0DFBB-FAB2-46C7-8F61-BEDC4E6CD3B0.jpeg
    E5A0DFBB-FAB2-46C7-8F61-BEDC4E6CD3B0.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 14

JimF

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Quick update!! Just want to say thanks to all the guys who pointed me in the right direction!! I took the leap and bought a Mid 80s (can’t exact date it yet as haven’t found the serial number yet 😂) Burny RLC60 that I purchased through Zenmarket. Just took delivery of it today and it was packed to survive armageddon!!! Managed to purchase it, pay zenmarket fees, shipping and import taxes for pretty much bang on £800 GBP.

Highly recommend zenmarket as their fees are super cheap and their communication was spot on! Cheers guys!!

Also, the guitar itself is an absolute dream!!! Build quality, hardware, playability is all utterly superb! I think there’s a reason these old MIJ guitars have such a cult following!!

Glad to hear it! What were the customs fees like once it landed over here?

KobyFit7

Koby Fitzsimons
Reaction score
Glad to hear it! What were the customs fees like once it landed over here?
Wasn’t too bad mate. The cost of the guitar was £495 roughly, shipping was £170 and customs/duties/taxes totalled £120.

Genuinely can’t believe the prices you can buy stuff for from Japan, it is crazy. Here I’ve bought a guitar which I believe competes with Gibson build quality and playability for a fraction of the cost. Even the Edwards ESP stuff which I here are very, very good instruments are so affordable from JP. I will definitely be buying again from over there when I can.

JimF

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
That's really good actually! I saw a few instruments earlier that caught my eye. Think I might make an account and see what some final selling prices are.

Crash Dandicoot

» B E H O L D
Reaction score

reported for gore/abuse content

Real talk though, that genuinely makes me physically wince. I hate shipping without a hardcase but that's the way she goes sometimes.

On topic: as stated by others, do not buy from resellers. You'll be able to find the original listings from reputable vendors that actually have the instrument with some relatively basic internet sleuthing. Check the big places (Digimart, Ishibashi, etc) and narrow it down from there. You'll get it for less with what can be almost guaranteed a better overall purchase experience.

@KobyFit7 I'm glad it worked out for you. I 100% agree with your sentiment - I've snagged an untold amount of wicked ESPs and MIJ Ibanez for a fraction of what you would pay over here. Every time I see the pricing for an Ohmura-7 on Reverb I can't help but smile a bit. Thanks, @Ikke

Last edited:

DEUCE SLUICE

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
If you're web savvy, you can do some detective work with Google and/or learn how to navigate the Japanese selling sites in order to find the original listings and see if you can work out international shipping with a proxy buyer (private individual or proxy buyer service who ships worldwide) or something to that extent. It would end up being much, much cheaper.

I did this with my RG752FX. It popped up on eBay (via multiple sellers simultaneously,) I found it on Ishibashi & bought it from them direct for half what it was listed for by the scalpers. The guitar showed up two days later.

tedtan

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Thanks for the input here, fplks.

I came across a guitar I’ve been looking for via an automated eBay search, but it was listed by a reseller. I came across the actual seller (Ishibashi) with a bit of research.

In your experience, will Ishibashi negotiate a better price than listed on their own website?

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Thanks for the input here, fplks.

I came across a guitar I’ve been looking for via an automated eBay search, but it was listed by a reseller. I came across the actual seller (Ishibashi) with a bit of research.

In your experience, will Ishibashi negotiate a better price than listed on their own website?

Negotiation in Japan is generally limited and difficult. I feel like at chains it is often somewhat detached from their margins and more about process. Like I've been in shops where trying to get 5% off is like asking for a first-born child, but then the next week it's just listed 10% off. But I think YMMV since it's obviously very case-by-case.

tedtan

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
That aligns with what I've been able to find with a bit of research, which is essentially that you may be able to negotiate a small discount if you are present in person and able to speak fluent Japanese, but that's unlikely, and otherwise, probably no chance at all.

Robotechnology

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I’ve bought two Ibanez J. Custom’s from eBay resellers. The 1st time was 2 years ago and cost $50 more than where he got it from. The 2nd and most recent time (3 months ago) was $200 less than buying from the store it came from. So… I would say to do your research as decent deals can be had from some of the resellers.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
I’ve bought two Ibanez J. Custom’s from eBay resellers. The 1st time was 2 years ago and cost $50 more than where he got it from. The 2nd and most recent time (3 months ago) was $200 less than buying from the store it came from. So… I would say to do your research as decent deals can be had from some of the resellers.
I'm a little suspicious that it went down that way - not doubting your story but maybe how it transpired behind the scenes. Have any links?