evolved taste.

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by jl-austin, Aug 25, 2021.

1. BrutalRob

BrutalRob SS.org Regular

Absolutely. I was really suprised when i put A3 in one of my pickups. Had to hardly adjust the gain.
    How would you compare a8 to a4?

Themistocles likes this.
  2. Zhysick

Zhysick SS.org Regular

When I had those pickups in my RG8 I went exactly the opposite way :lol: swapped the pickups from Nazgul to Sentient and vice versa so I had a A5 Nazgul (tamed a bit the harshness and high-mid spike, a bit sweeter with a bit more bass) and ceramic Sentient (fuller, faster tracking and a bit more bite). Also tried different screws (hex head) for the pickups and yes, it changes a bit, just a tiny bit, the response of the pickup but actually on a recording the difference is barely noticeable...is more the feel when playing that how it actually sounds BUT what matters to me is how I feel playing the guitar... it can sound great but if I don't feel comfortable... then fuck it :lol:

3. Themistocles

Themistocles SS.org Regular

Its a SD Custom (sh-5) not a Custom 5 (sh-14) uggghh their names... I like Dimarios names... ie actual names... waiting for the Deficator and the Megalodon lol but at least when I say Titan or Tone Zone we have ease of communication... with duncan its like a really insecure password! custom, custom 5 custom custom, Whats next custom special and super special custom? sheesh? That said I remember when there werent tons of pickups available and you had to rely on totally clueless sales people in the local guitar stores for info so its better now with all the choices. Me I just want to sit down, write, record and hope that someday we can get back to live music in an extensive way.

Neon_Knight_ and Zhysick like this.
  4. Themistocles

yeah with some eq the custom is similar to the tone zone 7 but it doesnt have as much picking responsiveness and has a more rounded treble but both have huge low end chonk. I prefer the tZ7 as it jasut feels more dynamic and has a grit in the mids that is different... the cutom on the other hand is silkier on leads. Both have this bloom in the midrange but its more pronounced on the TZ7. Id say the Tz7 is a more flamboyant pickup and the custom (7string version) is a bit more controlled. TZ7 has more balls. I have both set up with a lot of distance from the strings. Basically theres some extra grind and responsiveness in the TZ7 but also more cocked wha sound. Just depends what you are after. the custom is a hell of lead pickup for sure and its a bit finicky for dialing in rhythm sounds.

5. Zhysick

Zhysick SS.org Regular

Oh, shit :lol: I think I read so fast that as I saw the SH5 part I just thought Custom 5 and that's all I took from there :lol: sorry! hahaha

Well, if you still find the Custom scooped (which clearly is a bit) then you could try double thick ceramic and ceramic sides (like on an Invader)... that would fill a lot the mids BUT it would be easier to just use a ToneZone :lol:

I don't like the TZ with alnico magnet but with ceramic is where it belongs... and that's because of you since I read some posts from you saying how good the TZ7 is and the difference with the TZ6 is the A5 magnet... tried it in the 6 string version and VOILA ceramic TZ6 is a beast!

Themistocles likes this.
  6. Themistocles

tone zone 7 is well named pickup and probably better as a 7 for prog, jazz and doom players. not suitable for djent but I have been playing djenty stuff since before the genre was popular... 30 years ago... I just got that tone by plugging direct into a board.

7. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire \[T]/

It was an a5, not a4, my bad. Basically just tames the mids a bit and cuts the hair of the a8/ceramic. Cleans became way better too. The all ceramic and a8 versions need the volume slightly rolled off or they get too hairy under high gain and give more of a pushed cleans sound ime.
    https://www.sevenstring.org/threads/the-pickup-magnet-swap-thread.343792/
    One of these days I'll get around to trying an a2, a6 and a9 in the black winter as well lol

8. Grindspine

Grindspine likes pointy things

I do not know why I never thought of a ceramic mag in the Sentient. That might be very worth doing if I did not already have an Alpha/Omega 7 set waiting to go into rotation in my seven strings!

Zhysick likes this.
  9. BrutalRob

BrutalRob SS.org Regular

One of these days I'll get around to trying an a2, a6 and a9 in the black winter as well lol[/QUOTE]
    A9 is awesome, one of my favorites especially in darker winds like the elysian hellfire.
    With my last magnet order, i got some a4 and a6 now, need to check them out next.

10. Zhysick

Zhysick SS.org Regular

A9 is awesome, one of my favorites especially in darker winds like the elysian hellfire.
    With my last magnet order, i got some a4 and a6 now, need to check them out next.[/QUOTE]

Are you ordering those magnets from any place in europe? Please, tell me... I have found several shops in the USA but with the shipping costs and everything to europe was just absurd to buy'em but in Europe it might be different...

Themistocles likes this.
  11. BrutalRob

BrutalRob SS.org Regular

I got one guy from the US from eBay, going by the name Addictionfx, but other than that: trashcontainer in Germany, nebula in belgium and cermag from the UK.

Zhysick likes this.
  12. Zhysick

Zhysick SS.org Regular

Thanks!! I'll check them out!

13. Themistocles

Are you ordering those magnets from any place in europe? Please, tell me... I have found several shops in the USA but with the shipping costs and everything to europe was just absurd to buy'em but in Europe it might be different...[/QUOTE]
    yeah I have an interest in A9's too... I tend to really back my pickups far away from my strings so I feel like alnicos of any kind are more my Jam than ceramics... That said I love the Tone Zone 7 and Titan 7... both really nice and quite different from each other.

14. John

John New album out now: https://goo.gl/PdPVYh

My point is to stave from overreaching blanket statements like "ceramic magnet pickups all sound harsh and brittle" and "alnico magnet pickups all sound sweet," or whatever else in line with that.

Side by side, sure there's a difference but even then it depends on the guitar and rest of the rig to an extent- it's not always a cut and dry answer and your mileage may vary. ie- I've thrown around both versions of the Warpig on both an Eclipse and another custom built guitar I own. There's some difference between the ceramic and alnico versions, both being viable, but any differences between magnets were a lot less pronounced on the Eclipse.

Themistocles and bostjan like this.
  15. Hoss632

Hoss632 SS.org Regular

I will say this about ceramic pick ups. A BKP Ragnarok in a Les Paul is anything but harsh. To my ears it is a brutal and full tone from both pick ups. And that's having heard a few sound samples from various players and rigs.

John likes this.
  16. BrutalRob

BrutalRob SS.org Regular

I never said "all ceramics are brittle". I do very well know that there are pickups that are far from that and yet are ceramic loaded. What I said is that every magnet adds its flavour to the equation.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2021
  17. BrutalRob

BrutalRob SS.org Regular

Regarding the A9: I first got these from Trashcontainer, he had them only in length 58mm though. But ny now, he also has them for 7 and 8 string humbuckers.
    the larger ones in 62 mm i got from that US seller through ebay for some time.

But after bugging Cermag in the UK long enough about A9, they also offer them now since last week :D. right now this is where i prefer to order, most selection and they also were the only source where i would find thicker ceramics in the appropriate width for my duncan jupiters.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2021
    Zhysick likes this.
  18. Neon_Knight_

Neon_Knight_ SS.org Regular

You may well already know this, but just pointing it out for others reading:
    The standard Tone Zone is Alnico V. The 7-string version (which apparently sounds quite different) is ceramic.

Zhysick likes this.