EVH vs Bluguitar vs...?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by ShiroNekoMusic, May 29, 2021.

1. ShiroNekoMusic

ShiroNekoMusic SS.org Regular

Tbh, I've thought about it, having 6 channels in such a beast of an amp sounds like a dream! I'm really thinking about a syn1 with a Friedman module+maybe a VHT. It would sound awesome through the EL34 set of my amp. I think I'll go with the EVH, but I'll get more options soon.

2. Boris_VTR

Boris_VTR SS.org Regular

Tnx for reply. So this would be crunch 1 ( chanel 1) channel?

3. ShiroNekoMusic

Crunch 1, the 2nd channel out of the 4 that the amp has. It's a good crunch, I used it with my AT300 and it had a decent Timmons-esque tone.

Boris_VTR likes this.
  4. torchlord

torchlord SS.org Regular

Hold off and wait for Bluguitar Amp x= Mercury and Iridium all one pedal board, of course the price will be higher but it will be more capable. Hopefully Blug will have a functional prototype and show it off at Namm in July. I have no idea if they will be their or not.
    Or just buy a real tube amp and know that it is the real deal despite the limitations.

5. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

The Amp X will cost about double that of the Mercury and Iridium though according to Blug in some old livestream. Maybe even more with the component shortage at present. Plus it won't be as compact, which is something I love about my Mercury. I can fit it in the pocket of my gigbag.

6. ShiroNekoMusic

Bought an EVH brand new. Couldn't tame the GAS at all so I ended up with such a great amp. I'll buy a bluGuitar in the future, specially if things get back to normality after the pandemic.

7. ShiroNekoMusic

I'll tell my experiences here, I just received the amp and I'm sending it back on the very first day of trial.

It's UNGODLY loud, I can play with my ENGL Invader with the master at 3 and the channel volume at 2'5 and it's not as loud as this amp with the volume on 1. I don't really like the high end of this amp that much, it sounds good but my Invader sounds better. Thank God I bought it new and I can send it back to the store. I'll buy a BluGuitar for sure this time and a Marshall Origin 20 for those mid gain tones.

8. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

Remember that volume knob positions between amps are not comparable. It seems to be just the classic "marketing loud" where it gets very loud right from the start and then the volume does not increase as much as you might think. I still have no idea why anyone makes amps like this.

ShiroNekoMusic and Wolfhorsky like this.
  9. ShiroNekoMusic

Yep, that might be it. I'm used to ENGL heads which have a very smooth and progressive master volume, how's the volume on the BluGuitar? Is it impossible to achieve good tone for mid/high bedroom level usage? The EVH is flat out disappointing in that department.

10. MASS DEFECT

MASS DEFECT SS.ORG Infiltrator

Put a volume box in the loop. That will take care of your volume problem. The Amp 1 is also louder in the room than my 50W EVH. Unless you have a midi controller to activate the power scaling feature.

11. Werecow

Werecow SS.org Regular

You must just not like the EVH tone. My 50w 5153 is my favourite amp by far i've ever played for low volume use, all the way down to where the strings are accoustically louder than the amp.

Deadpool_25 and Mathemagician like this.
  12. ShiroNekoMusic

How do you do that? I mean, in my case with volume at 1 is hella loud, nowhere near as responsive and controlled as the ENGLs I own.

13. Werecow

Werecow SS.org Regular

I turn the volume to where i want it :shrug:. It's got nothing to do with an amp having to be at "1", just use your ears and turn the knob. I have no problem turning the knob gently to get any volume i want, including 2am people sleeping in the other room type volume.
    Same with the high end of the amp. I often run it with the treble at 10 o' clock. Just use your ears.

budda likes this.
  14. MASS DEFECT

MASS DEFECT SS.ORG Infiltrator

And easy on the presence. The treble spike gets smoother as you go up in volume. The EVH doesnt have a master volume like your ENGL. The solution is to put a "master volume" on the EVH. Just buy a JHS Little Black Amp Box and put it in the loop. Problem solved.

15. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

Bluguitar goes gradually from zero to whisper to anything you need.

HeHasTheJazzHands likes this.
  16. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands SS.org Regular

Yeah the taper on the Amp1 is fantastic. Can confirm. But FWIW I was using an (oversized) 1x12 so that may make things a little quieter as well.

17. Wolfhorsky

Wolfhorsky Regular idiot

The best solution imho for bad vol tapers is boss eq pedal in the loop. Just slide vol down to atenuate the loudness and then cut a bit of 6,4 kHz if that annoys You. To cut the honk out i just cut 800Hz a bit.

18. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

Or amp makers could just put some effort in what is a solved problem. If I can buy a cheap Egnater Rebel or Orange OR15 and it has power scaling and a gradual master volume then other manufacturers have absolutely no excuse to not offer that as well on amps that cost many times more.

19. ShiroNekoMusic

Absolutely. I don't understand why there's not a plexi in the market that comes with a good master volume without costing several thousands, I mean, small SV20H from the Marshall Studio series can be modded to give you that vintage tone at lower volumes and it's not even an expensive mod. A good stock master would make this things sell even further and for more money.

laxu likes this.
  20. Wolfhorsky

Wolfhorsky Regular idiot

Agreed 1000%. But if You like the amp that much, You sometimes accept its flaws. There is nothing perfect in this world. But You are right that stupid pot taper can be chosen correctly.