EVH vs Bluguitar vs...?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by ShiroNekoMusic, May 29, 2021.

1. ShiroNekoMusic

ShiroNekoMusic SS.org Regular

I'm looking for a good amp to play at home, but 15W amps don't really sound that good to me, they lack low end and girth, so I'm looking for one of these two:
    Bluguitar Iridium-850 €
    EVH 5150III Ivory- 800 € used
    What do you think? I already have an ENGL Invader that I love and that sounds great even at bedroom levels (way louder than usual bedroom levels), but I wanted some more sonic possibilities and above all, a good crunch that sounds organic since I just sold my Savage and it had a very nice crunch. Any recommendations?

2. Werecow

Werecow SS.org Regular

The 50w 5153 sound fantastic at extremely low bedroom levels. I've no experience of the Bluguitar to compare though.

3. ShiroNekoMusic

I had a 100W amp but the master wasn't as good as my ENGLs, but the tone was killer! How's the crunch, ACDC style tone? I do love high gain but I want some rock too.

4. ATRguitar91

ATRguitar91 SS.org Regular

To add some diversity to your search: preamp pedals into a small solid state power amp. There are killer sounding preamp pedals out there (Ceres, Vesta, Tight Metal Pro, ISP Theta), and a solid state power amp will sound great at whisper volumes all the way to gig volumes if it has the juice to.

There's nothing analog I've found that works better for lower volume playing, and preamp pedals sound great run direct into an interface with IRs so all your bases are covered.

5. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands SS.org Regular

Had the Amp1 Iridium (moved on because I'm in my on-again-off-again modeler phase) and yeah it's actually surprisigly versatile.

Modern mode gets that tight, modern boosted sound.
    Classic mode sounds more Rectoy/OG 5150-y
    Vintage will get you that AC/DC crunch or cranked JCM800 sound
    Clean mode is pretty great for chimey cleans or pushed grit ala SRV. Not a good pedal platform in my experience.

And yes it sounds great at low volumes. There's even a setting to reduce the wattage if you want the nanotube to break up a bit more too.

6. ShiroNekoMusic

I won't go that route, sorry. I dig distorted amps, never liked a single distortion amp other than BE-OD

Interesting! The thing is that I found a good bargain for a used 5150III, which is 800 euros... It sounds absolutely killer, I had the 100w version and it was too loud and too heavy, but that one might be the perfect deal! I'll order an Iridium from Thomann to see if I like it or not, if not I can always send it back!

7. Deadpool_25

Deadpool_25 SS.org Regular

Haven’t tried the Blu stuff but the 5153 50w amps are great. However I’d skip it if it’s a first generation model without the concentric pots for volume and gain on channels 1 and 2 (unless you’ll never use both of those channels at one gig/sitting).

ShiroNekoMusic and Wolfhorsky like this.
  8. MASS DEFECT

MASS DEFECT SS.ORG Infiltrator

I have a Bluguitar Iridium and an EVH 5150 III 50w Stealth. I play the Amp1 more nowadays. I can tell you that the 5153 sounds good at any volume level and the blue channel will get you your rock tones. But the Amp1 Iridium is just louder and fatter sounding (I use the Classic channel almost exclusively) at practice and gig volumes. The Classic channel with the side tone pots gives you JCM 800 to 5150 to German high gain at the fullest setting.
    Vintage has some plexi tones in it. It has an onboard boost, power soak, reverb, it is loud and weighs next to nothing.

You cant go wrong with either, really. Depends on the features you like.

ShiroNekoMusic and Deadpool_25 like this.
  9. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

I have the BluGuitar Mercury Edition which can also do metal tones very nicely, just with a bit more old school vibe compared to the Iridium. I recommend it to anyone, I think it's a really well thought out, versatile and great sounding unit.

Just look at all this stuff it can do:
    • Fenderish cleans
    • Every Marshall flavor tone ever in 3 channels
    • Fx loop, series or parallel, +4 dB or -10 dB level
    • Built in power soak if you want to play with powertube distortion (accessible via MIDI or Remote 1 floorboard)
    • Good digital reverb
    • Super powerful EQ, small adjustments can do a lot. Despite the shared EQ it always works well for each of the channels.
    • MIDI or footswitch control
    • Built in boost that is anything between a clean boost and a Tube Screamer
    • Proper 100W. I measured 120 dB @ 1m through a 100 dB sensitivity Eminence Maverick in a 1x12. My 45W all tube Bogner was 117 dB for reference.
    • Sounds great at almost any volume, I don't even use the power soak.
    • Works great with pretty much anything hooked up to the fx return. Modelers? No problem. Tube amp through a loadbox? No problem, turns into a DIY Fryette Power Station like that.
    Of course it's not perfect. My biggest beef is the undefeatable analog cab sim on the Mercury Edition. On the Iridium it can be switched off. With my Mercury I instead run the speaker out into a -10 dB pad on my audio interface and that lets me hook it up to cab sim plugins but I need to keep the MV low. -20 dB pad would allow better control here.

Likewise it can't really do totally disparate tones for each channel since the EQ is shared. But as the manual says, most don't really want that either.

10. ATRguitar91

If you liked the Friedman, I would wager you'd jive with others. Preamp pedals can be pretty amp like, and run into a tube power amp it's indistinguishable.

Between the 5153 or Iridium, I think you've made the right call trying the Iridium out. But I always lean towards smaller/portable given the choice.

11. ShiroNekoMusic

All of that makes it pretty interesting, so far I've been digging the tones quite a bit, although I've heard some stuff about it not feeling as good as a full tube amp. I'm having a deal for that EVH for 800 euros, which is a very good price! I'm really into the EVH tone, round yet still aggressive and defined.

Does sounds almost too good to be true! Is it as good as the real deal? Some people I've met told me that it sounded like a chainsaw. I can save up some money for an Iridium in some time, but that EVH is so tempting...

As a versatile player you're making me drool about the whole thing, does it feel like a tube amp through a regular cab or is it stiff like most solide state stuff?

It would be for recording, for gigging I have my monstrous Invader which is a no brainer to me!

12. ATRguitar91

Why not just get a reactive load and use your Invader if it's just for recording? Tube heads into a load and then IRs is a go to for many.

torchlord and Deadpool_25 like this.
  13. ShiroNekoMusic

Because I want more tonal variety. I already have IRs to use with my Invader, just want some more flavour.

Last edited: May 30, 2021
  14. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

To me the Mercury at least sounds and feels like a good Marshall type tube amp. I haven't tried the Iridium. Since you already have an Invader, the BluGuitar makes the most sense because you could add it as a backup rig that fits into a gigbag pocket.

ShiroNekoMusic likes this.
  15. ShiroNekoMusic

I'll save up for one, but I'll buy the EVH since it's a bargain. I'll then get a Mercury.

Dineley likes this.
  16. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands SS.org Regular

The Iridium didn't sound at all like a distortion pedal to me, if that's what you mean. The preamp is SS I believe, but goddamn it's one of the best designed SS preamps right next to the old Randall RGs and the ISP Theta.

I'm only going by videos, but yeah this thing absolutely smokes the H&K Black Spirit, which is the closest alternative.

fabronaut and ShiroNekoMusic like this.
  17. MASS DEFECT

MASS DEFECT SS.ORG Infiltrator

It does. Especially at volume. It has the resonance and rumble. The power amp is extremely well designed.

It seems like your mind is made up with the EVH for the price. If it is the version without concentric pots, that price is still expensive. You wont have that versatility with the shared volume.

But you decide. Here's a nice vid of an Iridium vs a JCM.

torchlord likes this.
  18. Boris_VTR

Boris_VTR SS.org Regular

Care to share your settings for good crunch sound on savage?

19. ShiroNekoMusic

Well here in EU it's not that much for such a good head, I mean, it's 1200 new and it's in perfect condition. I won't use it live that much, so that versatility is still there.

Sure: Clean gain 5, crunch gain 8, bass 5, middle 6, treble 3'75, preshape on, bright on, sense on, depth boost on, presence 4. That's pretty fucking good with my Tokai and my Tele. Also sounds super good with splits, it gets on that math type of crunch.

Boris_VTR likes this.
  20. Elric

Elric SS.org Regular

Get a Syn1 and two channels to your invader. Like an 800 or DS module would get you some serious options if you already have tube power and a cab/IR option. The Synergy stuff is pretty amazing IME.

ShiroNekoMusic likes this.