EVH LBX 2

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by shred-o-holic, May 10, 2017.

1. shred-o-holic

shred-o-holic SS.org Regular

I tried the LBX 2 the other day. Wow sounded killer! I would say the gained out blue channel seems less buzzy than the Red channel on the first LBX. Still I like the original alot but the 2 does seem better to me. What a killer little amp! :shred::yesway:

2. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

heard by multiple people its too hissy/noisy etc. Is that true?

3. shred-o-holic

Not IME but that was at a music store so don't know. I use gates or NR so even so for me I could correct that...

4. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

ooh I didnt knew about this one. The one thing I hate it about the LBX was the lack of a clean channel as I like to play clean stuff. This one seems to have solve that issue.

pretty cool, another item to the GAS "if I had money" wish list

5. feraledge

feraledge Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?

I haven't tried this, but since I live on the red channel and sometimes use the green, this one isn't winning me over as much. At the same time, I think EVH really stands for Every Version is Heavier.

6. hvdh

hvdh SS.org Regular

Altough I have both the EVH 50 Watt and the LBX I have tested the LBXII e few weeks ago with my own guitar and 2x12 cab. The LBXII its blue channel has more gain and is more compressed with less attack then the LBX and 50 watter. Furthermore it has for me way to much mids and high mids. It sits between the blue and red channel of both my LBX and 50 Watter. The seperate Gain and volume is cool but I decided against it mainly because it makes loud Pops when changing channels. Maybe I am spoiled but the orginal sounds way better to my ears and has no channel popping. BTW the original is reduced in price.

Maybe over 2 years when Fender makes the Dual concentric pots and double knobs availlable for us all a gain and Volume modification will be executed.

7. jclogston

jclogston SS.org Regular

I had the LBX and the channel popping was terrible and the reason I got rid of it. I still have the 50W head and it's just awesome. I guess with the LBX II they didn't fix that channel popping issue?

8. bloodnail

bloodnail SS.org Regular

I've had the lbxll since February and not had any channel switching issues.my only gripe with it is that low volume play time is out of the question unless you like that hifi radio sound.the wattage switch doesnt do much except attenuate the signal by dropping the highs a bit.it really doesn't open up untill about 9 o'clock which by then is freaking loud.

9. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

I got one last month and agree with the above poster, it sounds like pure hiss unless you turn it well up. Plus, I think mine had a problem with the resonance, I turned it from 1 to 10 and it didn't affect the tone AT ALL. I'm tired of being sent flawed gear from Thomann, so I returned it. :mad:

Anyway, I couldn't be happier with his bigger brother.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Sumsar

Sumsar SS.org Regular

I have the old LBX and use it as a practice amp at home and reamping in the studio.
    I have managed to get it to sound great at really low volumes. For me the trick is to really work with the high and presence and having in mind that you should set them completely different than you would if the amp was turned up. I have the high at 12 oclock and the presense at 9 or 10 o'clock.

I am very much considering getting the LBX2 as well, though maybe I will get the peavey 6505 mh instead if they ever managed to sort out all the issues with it.

11. rexbinary

rexbinary MOD King

Sound like the LBXII has some flaws. My original LBX sounds great at low volumes in low watt mode. The resonance knob makes a very noticable difference. Also mine has no more hiss than the bigger 5153s.:scratch:

12. bloodnail

bloodnail SS.org Regular

Yea it has no body to it unless you get the volume up.but I will say it sounds great at volume.it just wasn't what I was looking for at low volume.right now I'm running an eq in the loop with all the sliders pulled down to get that low volume play.

13. Great Satan

Great Satan Hell-o

Some amps come with a level trim-pot on the fx loop, i use this on a mini recto clone to make the overdrive channel actually useable at lower volumes (i.e. Turn the master up, turn the trim way down). I can't exactly get into the mechanics of it but it shaves off the fizz and makes it sound better.

For amps that come without, perhaps try sticking this in the loop http://www.ehx.com/products/signal-pad
    then try putting the master up where you'd usually find it to sound good & use the signal pad as the overall volume control.

14. rexbinary

rexbinary MOD King

Found a video that demonstrates the low volume/fizz problem on the LBX II. It begins at 1:18. I can confirm my original LBX does not have this issue.

15. rexbinary

rexbinary MOD King

I have sent my LBX off to Jens Kruse to have it modded with concentric vol/gain controls, and a clean channel option. He modifies the Blue channel with a switch where you can set it to Plexi Clean, Classic Rock Gain, or Full Gain. It's still a two channel amp, but this way I get access to Green, Blue, and Red in a lunchbox format. I'll be posting my results when I receive it. I expect it next week.

http://www.krusekontrol.com/evh_iii_mod/evh-iii_lbx_mod

16. hvdh

hvdh SS.org Regular

Great move!
    Curious about cost and part used. Especially the 1 Meg Dual concentric pots for volume.

17. shred-o-holic

I will have to play it again but regardless of the opinions on here (thank you for the input) I dug the heck out of it when I played it. I will give it another whirl but it was fun to me.....

18. hvdh

hvdh SS.org Regular

And the channel switching popping of the LBXII at 2:29

19. Werecow

Werecow SS.org Regular

Is the original LBX discontinued now? Because the II looks dreadful with that hissy low volume sound quality. It'd not matter on other amps but the whole point of these lunchbox amps is sounding great at low volume i thought? :scratch:

20. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Why the hell all of these lunchbox amps dont have a watt control knob exactly like the Laney IRT range of amps, I will NEVER KNOW.
    My old 120 watt Laney Ironheart could sound AMAZING at bedroom volumes by cranking the watt knob to basically max, then turning the amp down. The tubes would be cranked and be lovely and hot, yet the amp could be seriously quiet and sound amazing.

As you say, thats surely the whole point of a lunchbox amp so for them to never have this feature, is absolutely absurd