EVH III Mini Or Mesa Single rec ?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by MikeSweeney, Jun 16, 2012.

1. MikeSweeney

MikeSweeney SS.org Regular

Im thinking of getting a evh iii mini or a mesa single rec.
    I want an amp with Tight picking and good for thrash death Metal my guitar is in drop B tuning ive tryed both but I cant make up my mind :scream:

2. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Mini, IMO. The Single is good, but the EVH sounds a lot tighter and can probably handle the lower tunings better.

3. drenz

drenz SS.org Regular

You've tried both and can't make up your mind? Whatelse is there to tell you man? Personally I would go for the EVH, but that's just me and my tonal preference. Both options should work for the style of music you've said, but it just comes down to what tonal characteristics you're going for.

4. mniel8195

mniel8195 SS.org Regular

evh forsure

5. HumanFuseBen

HumanFuseBen SS.org Regular

EVH, no doubt, dude!

6. capoeiraesp

capoeiraesp SS.org Regular

Get the EVH Mike. Sorry for not replying to your PM the other day.
    It's an excellent amp dude and versatile in all the right ways.

7. Blitzie

Blitzie SS.org Regular

EVH. Definitely.

8. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

To me, thrash has always been more marshall oriented - DSL?

9. 7stringDemon

7stringDemon SS.org Regular

Mini. All day. More versatile and can do litterally EVERYTHING that a Single Rec can.

10. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Banned

Anything but sound like a Mesa Rectifier.

I would personally choose the EVH for thrash, BUT the Mini Rectifier is a FANTASTIC amplifier and with a boost would do almost anything you need. I have the EVH 50w, and plan on getting the Mini Rectifier soon. Rectifiers are incredibly versatile amps, but everyone seems to think they're only for '90s metal, much like how the Peavey 5150 has been seen over the past decade although that amplifier has an incredible rhythm channel that rarely gets use by metalheads.

11. 7stringDemon

7stringDemon SS.org Regular

It's hard to be considered versatile when they're known to have some of the worst cleans of any amp on the market.

12. MikeSweeney

When i was talking about the REC i was talking about the 50 watts that have stop being produce But i have Tryed the min rec and i dont like the price at all for what you get

13. op1e

op1e Spirit Taker

Ya that mini rec should be more priced in the Dark Terror range. You lose the functionality of the power section, which is the point of that amp in the first place.

14. TonyFlyingSquirrel

TonyFlyingSquirrel Cherokee Warrior

I've never had trouble getting great tone out of any of the Boogie Recto's, but I've used them so much that I felt I needed to re-characterize my tone after using nuttin but the recto-tone for 15 + years.
    I'm absolutely loving the Bogner Uber, but if I'd have to go between the Boogie & the EVH 3.0, I'd take the EVH. It's got a much tighter lower end, the highs aren't harsh, the mid's are in the right place. If fact, if you ran all the settings at "Half", you can get a pretty decent all around useful tone, then just tweak it to taste from there. When I tested it like that, I was using an ESP Eclipse with the JB/59 combo. The more gain you add, the more tube compression kicks in, and believe me, if you can't get enough gain with this amp, there isn't enough to be had. If you want it to open up a little more, you can back off of the gain to taste.

15. Camer138

Camer138 SS.org Regular

I figured I'd ask here instead of making a new thread as I'm also considering the EVH mini.. how is the clean headroom on the 50w version? can it go rehearsal loud without breakup?

16. MikeSweeney

well because its a 50 watt head the pre-amp will get pushed harder at a lower volume

17. sage

sage twerk twerk thall

Don't listen to any of those guys. Get the Mesa. Or get the Peavey and then wait 3 years and sell it because you always really wanted the Mesa anyway. Either way, you're going to be a Mesa man. I can feel it.

18. viesczy

viesczy SS.org Regular

Every clip I've heard from the EVH amps, 100 & 50 watt, just didn't impress me. I really wanted to like the 50 too, but to my ears it is just meh. While I don't doubt there are awesome tones that the amp can produce and I'm sure I would dial in tones that I would love, what I heard didn't make me want the amp.

Derek

19. TemjinStrife

TemjinStrife Power Metal Cellist

Two issues with this. First of all, the *preamp* on a master volume amp can get pushed "just as hard" no matter what its *power amp* is. Just turn the master down.

Secondly, a 50W tube amp is not really any quieter than a 100W one. You hear the wattage difference mainly in terms of headroom, not actual volume.

There's two problems with this assertion. First of all, the Dark Terror is made in China and has one channel and very limited EQ; it can really only do a very limited number of things. The Mesa is made in the USA, and has two channels and a full EQ section for each channel with two modes each. It's very versatile. You get a lot for your $1000.

Secondly, the power section of the Mini is very distinctive-sounding compared to the standard Recto power section; I don't understand how you "lose its functionality" by using two EL84s instead of two 6L6s.

Comments like this make me wonder what people think are "good cleans". The clean sounds, especially on the 6505+ and 5150II are quite solid and very useful, and the Rhythm channel with the Crunch knob activated is capable of a huge range of tones. The 5150 is quite versatile.

20. Joshua2209

Joshua2209 SS.org Regular

You guys know we're talking about the single Rec here? Not the mini rec.

Not trollin', its just that there is a difference when it comes to tone and such.