EVH 5153

Kostas Look

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hey guys what do you think about this head ? i see lot of metal players play with it (revocation,testament etc ) ! Can it replace an axe fx 3 for instance ? And if yes,which od pedal,delay and reverb would you use for a metal tone ?? thanks

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
"can it replace an axe FX III"?

Uhhhh no.

I'm a 5153 kvlt member, pay my dues every Tuesday , and even I say absolutely not.

CapinCripes

Trem Snob
Reaction score
They are an amp that is extremely difficult to make sound bad. It's more of a function of how focused the amps are on a certain sound. It's a good sound just don't expect to get too much variation when playing with the knobs. So not even close to replacing the variety of a modeler but if your wanting to collect different real amps for variety it is a good tool to have in your kit. Slap a tube screamer in front just go. That's pretty much why just buy a 5150 is a saying.

Last edited:

Dumple Stilzkin

I like the girls with the pumps and a bump.
Reaction score
I really like my 50 watter, plug ‘n chug. You don’t really have to spend much time dialing in a great tone.

Musiscience

Tarnished
Reaction score
Great amp, has its signature sound and that’s that, which is great if that’s what you’re looking for.

But there’s no way it comes even remotely close to an Axe 3 in terms of versatility and options and recording. After doing an A/B with the Archon I had and the Axe model, I realized that I would probably never own tubes again. Especially with post pandemic tube prices. I don’t miss changing tubes, BIASing, having tube fail or become microphonic one bit.