EVH 5153 15 watt LBX vs 50 watt

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Sumsar, Nov 15, 2020.

1. Sumsar

Sumsar SS.org Regular

Hey folks.

I got the EVH 5153 15 watt LBX some years back and was really impressed with it for a small size amp. That along with everyone on here continously posting about the amp made me want to buy a bigger version of it, which I then did about half a year ago - no regrets, it is an awesome amp and does a lot of things correct.

Seeing as I now have both an LBX and a 50 watt on my hands I thought it would make sense to do a comparision between the two. Same cab, speaker, microphones and positions - only difference is the amps. I also run all EQ the same (including presense and resonance).

In the room I think they sound fairly different, especially in the low end and also in the high end, which is more fizzly on the LBX, but in the recordings there is not that much difference, though some can still be perchieved. Thoughts?

Boris_VTR and Metropolis like this.
  2. Metropolis

Metropolis SS.org Regular

50 watt version sounds more open and saturated, has a lot more low end. Don't know if you could compensate that with mic position and resonance/bass settings, probably some of it.

3. Sumsar

Sumsar SS.org Regular

Yeah the highend of the LBX is a lot more fizzy than the 50 watt. Over time I have tried a bunch to dial around with the treble and presense as well as boosting with a TS and running the gain lower, but I can't really seem to get rid of it in any way.
    Regarding the low-end you could probably compensate some, but I find that it can begin to sound boomy/muddy without in a not so nice way if you increase the bass or resonance more.
    Overall the 50 watt is my go to recording amp at the moment and I don't really have a use case for the LBX anymore, guess it would be fine in a rehearsal room, but within the last year me and my drummer went from having a rehearsal room to him having an electronic kit at home and then recording songs over google drive that way.

rexbinary and Metropolis like this.