EVH 5150 LBX with VST poweramp sims

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Sumsar, Jun 1, 2019.

1. Sumsar

Sumsar SS.org Regular

Hi SSO

I did an experiment with recording only the preamp of my EVH 5150 LBX and then using VST plugings to simulate various poweramp setups (6L6, EL34, KT88) using a both two notes wall of sound plugin and Ignite poweramp amp sim.

Personally I think the Wall of Sound 6L6 and KT88 are best, but they are all useable tones and generally better than just recording with the LBX's own poweramp.

I think my next experiment is gonna be comparing IR for using the Two notes Captor. The Two Notes included ones are fine, but I think I can find something beter out there.

gunch likes this.
  2. op1e

op1e Spirit Taker

I might have to get a Torpedo CAB eventually. I'm not gonna run FRFR but messing around in WoS on pc the Contour, Dynamics and Bright knob can completely change the tone of an amp. Would be great to be able to use that for live and practice. Plus the power amp sims if I throw a power amp in the rack and just gig with my gsp1101.

3. gunch

gunch chungus

KT88 was brighter and clearer
    6L6 was dark and meaty
    EL34 was eh

Didn't discern much difference between wall of sound or TPA-1

Sumsar likes this.
  4. Sumsar

Sumsar SS.org Regular

Yes that was also pretty close to my own conclusion. The EL34 didn't really work in either of the situations. I wonder if they did changes to the preamp for the EL34 versions of the 5153?

Between the two plugins I thought there was a bigger difference between the tube models with the Wall of Sound than the Ignite, but not a massive difference between the two still.