EVH 5150 III Midi

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by runbirdman, Feb 11, 2019.

1. runbirdman

runbirdman Ezekiel 23:20 Contributor

There's another thread about this from 2013 but it kind of went in another direction so I thought I'd make a fresh one. I just picked up a dead mint EVH 5150 100 watt head with matching 4x12 for $1300. I was in the market for a MIDI controllable head to run a 4CM with my Helix but I couldn't pass up the deal on the 5150. I'm looking for solutions to be able to switch channels within patches on the Helix for the 5150.

So far I've found:

RJM Mini Amp Gizmo
    • This seems to be the most common solution but it $300 for the switcher and cable
    Voodoo Labs Control Lab
    • This appears to be a slightly cheaper version of the RJM virtually the same functionality for my purposes. Does anyone have any idea how much the cable from the EVH to the Control Lab is?
    BTPA AS-EVH10001-XX
    • This is the cheapest solution but I don't think it will work with the Helix. It requires two relay switch inputs and the Helix only has one.
    Does anyone know of any other solutions to add MIDI functionality? Most of the products listed here are older and I haven't seen any articles about anything released recently. Would I miss functionality by going with the Voodoo Labs over the RJM if I'm only expecting to be able to change channels?

2. Dineley

Dineley SS.org Regular

I feel like I remember there being an issue that you can't control fx loop on/off with any of the units, I could be wrong, I also have a 100 watt evh and I remember looking into how to do it all, and there weren't very many pretty solutions.

I also got a deal too good to pass up on mine haha.

3. runbirdman

There are 2 versions of the Voodoo. The black button version can not control the effects loop nut according to a Voodoo employee on their forums:

"The version with the Red buttons can control the Effects Loop if you set Button #4 to Momentary Pulse On Pulse Off."

4. runbirdman

Just a quick update on case anyone finds themselves in a similar situation. I ordered the Voodoo Control Switcher for 120 and the custom interface cable from Voodoo for 40. According to their technical support I will have full channel switching and effects loop switching via the Helix.

I just really wish EVH would update the 100w to include MIDI like the rest of the series.

TheWarAgainstTime likes this.
  5. penguin_316

penguin_316 SS.org Regular

Automate the midi changes through a DAW as you play through the song? Might be ahead of where your at but ultimately it’s the “easiest” solution (no tap dancing+no more hardware needed, but involves a good amount of time automating changes).

6. sharedEQ

sharedEQ SS.org Regular

Doesnt the Helix have two channel switch solenoids? You should be able to program them to switch between three channels.

Just have to wire a custom cable that goes from the Helix switchers to the amp's footswitch in.

7. runbirdman

I may be missing something but I think this would require the amp to actually have MIDI.

This may be true but I think this is ultimately what the BTPA cable accomplishes and for some reason it does not appear to be compatible with the Helix. People have mentioned wonky responses from the effects loop on the Helix forums with no real work around that I've found.

Dineley likes this.
  8. penguin_316

penguin_316 SS.org Regular

My fault for some reason I thought it did have midi and you were just looking for switching solutions.