EVH 5150 III LBX thread

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by andybobandyy, Apr 10, 2016.

1. Mad-Max

Mad-Max SS.org Regular

I go to the local guitar center every once in a while and everytime I go I plug into one of those. If I was in the market to buy a lunchbox head, I'd probably get this one. It just sounds fantastic.

I think people talk trash because for some reason all the demos on Youtube for this amp are just pure garbage. The EVH sounds MUCH better in person than it does on any demo you find on Youtube.

2. andybobandyy

andybobandyy SS.org Regular

Honestly it really depends on what you want out of your amp and what you're using it for. To me personally i'd choose the LBX with a nice 2x12 cab. That's just because I don't really care about a clean channel or reverb. Plus a 1x12 no matter what kind of speaker it has in it...at the end of the day is a 1x12. It's not going to push the air that a 2x12 or 4x12 does unless you hook a cab up to it. I'm thinking the 1x12 is going to sound similar to the 50w evh 5150III head and the LBX sounds alot different. anyways thats just my opinion.

3. shred-o-holic

shred-o-holic SS.org Regular

I love these amps. I would definitely consider getting one in the future. I sold my 50 watt recently. The only complaint or feature that's missing that 50 watt has is midi. My POD HD 500 synched up so nice with the 50 via midi. Other than that I've had a couple of epic jam sessions with the LBX at my local Sam Ash lol. It's a bedroom monster :)

4. TedintheShed

TedintheShed Retired bassist pretending to play guitar

When I saw one I was praying for a headphone jack like like the 5150III mini. I don't understand why it is on the mini and not the LBX. :scratch:

5. hvdh

hvdh SS.org Regular

My LBX just arrived yesterday. Did a small and short test both via EVH2x12 and a LaneyIRT2x12 with V30. First impression.....Loud as hell, Very effective EQ including resonance and presence. So good tone shaping.
    Second impression: not as impressive/brutal as the 5150III 50. But it is possible to have lusious tones on low volume.

One tip I got was using it with a multieffct in 4CM. This way you can skip the pre amp to create a clean patch. If this is possible a more gainy solo sounding patch could also be possible. Then 3 needed sounds on just the blue channel.
    Have to test this to know the amount of sound suckage of rhe multi effects in 4 CM.

To be continued.

6. Inguilles

Inguilles SS.org Regular

You do not consider it as good as 50w??
    I have the possibility to get a 50w used and a new lbx
    What would you do

7. Elric

Elric SS.org Regular

Get both!:lol:

8. Inguilles

Inguilles SS.org Regular

if I could........;)

9. hvdh

hvdh SS.org Regular

I take the 50 watter.

10. Inguilles

Inguilles SS.org Regular

thanks for your opinion

11. hvdh

hvdh SS.org Regular

Your welcome.
    Still testing the LBX here. :shred:

12. Albionic

Albionic First of the magi

Hey guys what's the volume like on these things? Loud enough to be heard over a loud drummer in a practice room? We usually di live so I'll be using a h&k red box but without monitors I'll need to hear something out of my 2x12. Thanks

13. chopeth85

chopeth85 SS.org Regular

EVH lunchbox is one of the loudest lunchbox amp in the market. I have one and at 12 o'clock in the 4 watts mode the volume is high enough to hear it though your drummer is a beast haha

14. Albionic

Thanks for the reply. I'm most likely gonna use the blue channel for rhythm and red for lead are there any issues with the shared gain control?

Like an earlier poster I'm torn between a new lbx and a used 50 watter. I did like the 6505mh I played in a shop and the higher rated wattage made me think it would be louder but the overheating issues scared me off.

15. Albionic

Hmmmm I just noticed there's also a shared volume for both channels might be a deal breaker for me ☹️

16. hvdh

hvdh SS.org Regular

Looks like the little sister stays (and slays) :)
    IMG_6411B.JPG
    Unsuitable for wisper volumes but suitable for loud drummer. Zoom in the loop for noise-gate, delays and reverbs. Use just the blue (or red) channel and play with your volume knob. And roarrrrrrrrr

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  17. Albionic

I actually picked up a used 50w head in the end �� I'm using a pod xt live in the loop for effects and to control the amp via midi

18. Big Dave

Big Dave Methestaphelese Jr.

I jammed with my buddy last weekend and he has a 6505+ and I had 0 issue keeping up. I love how these things cut through too, it has a clarity to it I really like.

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  19. hvdh

hvdh SS.org Regular

It looks like you solved the quest!
    Congratulations.

20. hvdh

hvdh SS.org Regular

Last Friday turned up the volume to met the level of a loud Metal drummer and bass. Overall impression is that the Blue channel holds more of the original clean guitar tone then my 5150III 50. More over the dynamic respons and feel of the LBX is more in the Marshall ballpark.

With the master on 5 (12 oclck) and depending on the gain settings, for now also on 5 the sound starts to become mushy. No wonder because the LBX its headroom is much lower then my 50. But with the Master on 4 this thing goes insainly loud and cuts very easely through the soundspectrum.

Did not try the red channel yet because the Blue channel has a huge spectrum of gain heaven. The resonance knob on the back does its work great within the area of low E and A. Sadly the low B of my 7 string is not within its ballpark. The amount of mid frequency is significant higer then my 50 watter. I almost have the mids dimed and the treble set on 2-3 to get it pleasantly.

Also put the Zoom MS-50G in the loop of the LBX for noisegate, Reverb, and Delay. Works fine. BTW there are some phasing issues when playing at whisper volumes with the loop because there still is a non-loop sound audible. But at normal volumes this is a noin-issue. BTW a noise gate is not a must. This amp is very silent in a good way :)

So.... this amp stays. If you like a more Marschally sound and respons with more dynamic attack then the 50 and you know how to work your volume pot for a "clean" sound this amp is a must to review.
    It does Bedroom levels, Rehearsel levels and Small gig levels. Yes It does keeps up with Metal drummers without breaking apart. After a while one starts to question how the hell it is possible they put this volume in such a smal package. It is feather light.

Maybe I will report the Red channel later but for now the Blue channel goodness is keeping me busy. It is for a reason this amp is buidling a reputation as the Poor Man's Soldano 20.

It stays and slays together with its bigger brother which is more Metally:hbang: