EVH 5150 III 50w footswitch popping

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by clansannes, Aug 24, 2016.

1. clansannes

clansannes SS.org Regular

So my brand new EVH head sounds great except for when I turn the effects loop on with the footswitch I get a loud pop. When I switch channels with the footswitch or with the front panel buttons I get a slight pop but not nearly as loud as the effects loop... Anyone else had issues with this, should I send it back and exchange it for another one?

2. feraledge

feraledge Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?

Yes. That is an old issue that was taken care of. I had a first round 5153 100 watt head and the repair was covered by EVH. No issues on my 50 watt, but it shouldn't be happening.

3. viesczy

viesczy SS.org Regular

I typically just plug in and go w my 50 watt and 100 Stealth, but the few times I've actually ran the loop I have had no pops. It isn't a pedal, right? Like if there's nothing in the loop and you engage the loop via the switch does it still pop?

Derek

4. EdgeCrusher

EdgeCrusher SS.org Regular

I had this issue, but it turned out to be a bad cable causing the problem, not the amp itself.

5. clansannes

clansannes SS.org Regular

Yeah it still pops with no pedal in the loop but not quite as loud. I read something about DC voltage building up and then being released when the loop is switched on but i've never had that problem with any other amp.

6. Vinchester

Vinchester SS.org Regular

I still have this issue with my 5153 50 watt I bought in 2015. It's a really loud POP both when switching channels and turning effects on/off.

The dealer suggested this could be to my country's less than stellar electricity etc., but I suspect that it's due to a faulty tube or something. I read somewhere that one of the tube position is responsible for this issue.

7. musicaldeath

musicaldeath Herald of Djod

Every now and then I get this issue on my 5153S... I find if I don't let the tubes warm up on stand by for long enough (a minute or two) then it will pop the first time I change the channel. But if I let them warm up for a minute, it doesn't pop.